Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Panels UI: Retrieving tags of selected track (Read 2148 times) previous topic - next topic

Panels UI: Retrieving tags of selected track

I'm wondering if there's any way to ever get any data programmatically about the currently selected/highlighted playlist track using Panels UI (either with SCPL or the Columns UI playlist, I suppose.)

The immediate application I'm thinking of is album art - I'd like to have a foo_uie_albumart-style "follow cursor" album art mode, which would require getting the pathname of the currently selected track on the playlist.

EDIT:  Topic title was about Panel..s UI, but it got cut off.

Moderation: Changed title and moved topic to 3rd party plugins.

Original title: "Retrieving tags and information about selected playlist entry in Panel, Is this possible?"

Panels UI: Retrieving tags of selected track

Reply #1
I'm wondering if there's any way to ever get any data programmatically about the currently selected/highlighted playlist track using Panels UI (either with SCPL or the Columns UI playlist, I suppose.)

The immediate application I'm thinking of is album art - I'd like to have a foo_uie_albumart-style "follow cursor" album art mode, which would require getting the pathname of the currently selected track on the playlist.

EDIT:  Topic title was about Panel..s UI, but it got cut off.

Moderation: Changed title and moved topic to 3rd party plugins.

Original title: "Retrieving tags and information about selected playlist entry in Panel, Is this possible?"

This is easy.    Although, I am not using the foo_uie_albumart, so I'm not positive it can be done that way.  I use for the album art, just a track display panel.  Right click on it for the context menu, and Mode> you can switch between 'now playing' and 'follow cursor'.  Not sure those are the exact words, but it is clear on the menu.  If you prefer to use the plug-in you mentioned... maybe someone else could help, I hope.  I think most plug-ins offer 'now playing' and 'follow cursor' modes, if they display info about a track.  I would like to see Terrestrial add a button command for switching modes, but it probably isn't a priority.

Best...