Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: My tests of AAC/Vorbis/Opus at 128 Kbps VRB vs Flac. (Again).  (Read 9209 times) previous topic - next topic

My tests of AAC/Vorbis/Opus at 128 Kbps VRB vs Flac. (Again).

Well, some may have seem this already. I decided to redo it again (I forgot to make the tracks shorter than 30s and I couldn't edit the post anymore. xd).

Anyway, here are the results:

AAC (Qaac 2.49):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Opus (libopus 1.1):

Vorbis (Oggenc 2.88 w/libVorbis 1.3.5) This time I actually managed to get 9/10, honestly, there was luck here xd:

The trick is that at the very beginning there's a big cymbal that's intermediately followed by a hi-hat, at that moment, while the hi-hat is partially masked by the cymbal, AAC highs sound muffled, Opus sounds a bit better, and with Vorbis the difference is so miserable that I still can't believe that I managed to get 9/10 (Before my best results was 7/10).

Re: My tests of AAC/Vorbis/Opus at 128 Kbps VRB vs Flac. (Again).

Reply #1
I've tried with Opus 1.1.3 and Vorbis 2.88 w/aoTuVb6.03

Opus:

Vorbis:

Seems aouTuV is better, but I really think it is because aoTuV ends up with an overall higher bitrate than libVorbis 1.3.5, both at q4.

Reply #2
Can you hear the difference at 160 kbps with Opus?

Reply #4
Can you hear the difference at 160 kbps with Opus?

I honestly wasn't expecting this:

I don't know what to say xd This one is as hard as Vorbis at Q4. By the way I want to try with FDK AAC, but I can't get the .exe, I get an error "Couldn't reserve space for cygwin's heap".

I also tried Vorbis aoTuV at 150 Kbps and I failed (7 out of 10).

Are you confident your results aren't affected by the fact that Opus resamples to 48k?

I use "Resampler (dBpoweramp/SSRC)" at 48000 Hz (And also have set Windows's and Xonar's panels to that sample rate).

Reply #5
Bump.

I've tried Opus 1.2 Alpha, but first I had to make sure that I was still able to ABX my previous Opus file so first here it is again:

Now Opus 1.2:

Notice that I accidentally named it beta instead of alpha.