Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: flac 1.3.0 pre-release (Read 100181 times) previous topic - next topic

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #100
Download at the usual location.

I just came here to thank you for the previous patches, they work on MinGW too  I'll check the binaries.
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #101
I found no issues, it even works when I change the size of the console while flac is running. Great patch, I have seen this bug for years (because I've encoded quite some classical music, which usually has long filenames) but always ignored it. I hope it works as nice on Linux and other Unixes too

Screenshots:
http://www.icer.nl/misc_stuff/longlinepatch1.png
http://www.icer.nl/misc_stuff/longlinepatch2.png

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #103
Not sure why you would want it (I think building with MSVC is more native than building with MinGW) but here you go. This is the build I tested this morning, which is current git plus the two UTF-8 patches by case. This one is without the long line patch though.

http://www.icer.nl/misc_stuff/flac-mingw-g...utf8patches.zip

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #104
I'm confused. Is Case forking FLAC into a Windows-only project?

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #105
I'm confused. Is Case forking FLAC into a Windows-only project?

No? Case is supplying patches to get features into the Windows builds that have been in the Linux/*nix builds for ages, like UTF-8 support. Except the last two they are in git already, so no forking. Building on *nix still works perfectly. Cross platform projects sometimes just require some platform-specific workarounds.

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #107
The problems birdie has look very much like broken hardware to me. Bad memory stick could easily trigger such behavior.

I uploaded fresh Win32 binaries of 1.3pre3 + git fixes here.

I have zero problems with my system - RAM is 100% errors free as I've never had a single crash.

Like it's already been mentioned, static FLAC build is horribly broken.

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #108
I have zero problems with my system - RAM is 100% errors free as I've never had a single crash.

Case said memory stick, not RAM.

Like it's already been mentioned, static FLAC build is horribly broken.

No, it's not. I've now built statically linked on a bunch of different machines and architectures and it all worked flawlessly but for one (which failed during compiling already). I really don't know why it doesn't work on your machine though. Maybe you could explain a little more so we can do some troubleshooting? For example, are you trying to compile under Linux (what distro?), MinGW, *BSD, Solaris, etc. Have you tried using the compiler native to your OS, if it's an open-source one? It might be one of the libraries that is linked statically (libogg, libiconv etc.) is outdated or broken?

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #110
Erik has announced he wants to release FLAC 1.3.0 next Saturday, so if you have any bug fixes, please be quick

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #112
So, should we expect the final release today?

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #113
So, should we expect the final release today?

I think that was the plan, though in that case it is already delayed (early Sunday in Australia now).

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #115
Which Saturday again?

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #117
But the original plan was May 4, it just didn’t work out as planned. Perhaps next Saturday, then. :-)

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #118
I'm eagerly anticipating the release, considering I've been 1.2.1-FLACing my entire CD lineup in the past few weeks.

Quick question - does anyone have (or can anyone build) a script which will decode all 1.2.1-FLAC files in a given folder structure, and reencode at 1.3.0, preserving metadata/tags?  I always use the strongest possible compression so would be interested in doing this, even if the disk space saved would be miniscule.

EDIT: Looks like compression increases are very minor, varying from a few kb improvement to a 4 byte decrease.  Even so, I'm still willing to give it a try.

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #119
Quick question - does anyone have (or can anyone build) a script which will decode all 1.2.1-FLAC files in a given folder structure, and reencode at 1.3.0, preserving metadata/tags?  I always use the strongest possible compression so would be interested in doing this, even if the disk space saved would be miniscule.
Everything about your post is a terrible idea. Please don't do it.

Spend the time you would have wasted on that doing something more useful, like coming up with a meticulous sorting and classification system for your own navel lint museum. Let the electricity you would have wasted on that go to a more noble purpose, like powering a Big Mouth Billy Bass singing fish year-round.

If you're really that short on bytes of storage I'm sure that I have a spare 3.5" floppy gathering dust somewhere which I can send you. It may be only a millionth as big as a cheapo consumer hard drive these days, but it's probably a good bit more than you'll save by recompressing your collection.

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #120
Everything about your post is a terrible idea. Please don't do it.

Spend the time you would have wasted on that doing something more useful, like coming up with a meticulous sorting and classification system for your own navel lint museum. Let the electricity you would have wasted on that go to a more noble purpose, like powering a Big Mouth Billy Bass singing fish year-round.

If you're really that short on bytes of storage I'm sure that I have a spare 3.5" floppy gathering dust somewhere which I can send you. It may be only a millionth as big as a cheapo consumer hard drive these days, but it's probably a good bit more than you'll save by recompressing your collection.

[sarcasm]You're right, I suppose the three seconds that it would take to get the batch process started would be a waste of my time.  And the 50 cents in electricity it would take for my laptop to chug through all of the files in the Power Saving mode I normally leave it on could be better used somewhere else.[/sarcasm]

Frankly, your criticism was a very bad idea and a waste of time.  If it wasn't baseless and self-defeating, I'd actually listen.
Yes, I am quite aware that there's not a lot of utility to such an effort - as made very obvious in my first post, where I indicated I expected miniscule changes.  However I'm interested to see what difference 1.3.0 makes in maximal compression, and - given it's the first update in 6 years - I think this is justifiable.

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #121
There is no compression increase with version 1.3. The differences reported earlier were due to different metadata (the flac version string).

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #122
There is no compression increase with version 1.3. The differences reported earlier were due to different metadata (the flac version string).

Ah!  Well in that case, I WOULD be wasting my time doing this.  Thanks.

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #123

Ah!  Well in that case, I WOULD be wasting my time doing this.  Thanks.

If you want tiny increases in compression,  you could try FLACCL or Flake.

flac 1.3.0 pre-release

Reply #124
I did recompress my 1.1.x's, simply because I wanted a one-glance overview on the lossless part of a selection in fb2k (didn't have place to read any mp3 listings when there were four different FLAC versions to be listed first).

In addition I saved a quarter, I think. Of a dollar, certainly not of an hour.

(Actually, my drives soon got on the edge of full.)