Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Walmart cover downloader with previews (Read 21329 times) previous topic - next topic

Walmart cover downloader with previews

I had just installed visual studio 2005, and wanted to try out this new "C#" thing which seems to be all the rage at the moment... And found it to be incredibly productive, I came up with this little app in no time at all.

How to use it: Either run it directly, or use it with commandline arguments, ie. from foo_openwith. My foo_openwith string is:
Code: [Select]
"[%artist%]" "[%album%]" "$replace(%_path%,\%_filename_ext%,)\folder.jpg"

When the thumbnails appear, click once on the thumbnail to download a 500x500 jpg to the specified location. Its multithreaded so you can start another search while the cover downloads.

Edit: Forgot to mention, you'll need .NET 2.0 (get it from Windows Update)
Hmm, something wrong with the .zip that time, download it again.

Update: Looks and works nicer now. If no file is set a Save dialog will pop up when you click on the art of your choice.
The first item shown is the current art, if found (so you can decide if other art is better)

Update again: Simply "More better" (various usability improvements).

And again..., see below

Another update, adding the stuff people wanted below.

Screenshot: [attachment=2022:attachment]

Reply #1
I always get an error, no matter what I searched for.
Always defragment your MP3s to avoid subtle lack in harmonics.

Reply #2
I always get an error, no matter what I searched for.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352447"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My bad, I originally uploaded the wrong version, I thought I could sneakily switch it before noone noticed, you must have got it within a few minutes of my original post. 
Download it again.
(If the error persists, I'm thinking maybe its a country specific variation in walmart.com?)

Reply #3
Great, it works very well now! Thank you!

Some suggestions: A browse button for the target file; a linebreak for many thumbnails.
Always defragment your MP3s to avoid subtle lack in harmonics.

Reply #4
Some suggestions: A browse button for the target file; a linebreak for many thumbnails.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352522"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Good idea, i've updated it.

Reply #5
This is an awesome little tool.  I love the fact that it integrates so well with foobar2000 (using foo_openwith).  I'll definitely be using this a lot.  Thank you.

Reply #7
I am working on something similar for Amazon covers: http://www.maresweb.de/forums/index.php?s=...=findpost&p=263

david_dl, any plans for making this open source?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352605"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hmm, the source is really not something I'm too proud of. This was really just something I just threw together yesterday evening when I didn't feel like sleeping , mostly to try and get a feel for C# (I've never used it before, which contributes to the code being a mess), and also because I was dissatisfied with other cover art programs (I can't stand apps that block/freeze up the GUI when they are doing stuff).
If you still want the code, I can email it to you or something. The actual walmart specific  part is very small and simple, I just grab the pages from walmart.com and search through them for the infomation I need.

Reply #8
If you still want the code, I can email it to you or something. The actual walmart specific  part is very small and simple, I just grab the pages from walmart.com and search through them for the infomation I need.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352610"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Would be cool, thanks.

Reply #9
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352610"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Would be cool, thanks.

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352613"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sent

Reply #11
Thanks! Didn't look at the source code yet - are you using a ListView for the thumbnails or are you drawing the images?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352630"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just drawing them. Sorry, I didn't give you the GUI source, I didn't realise that was what you were interested in.

Reply #12
david_dl  --  I would be very interested in having a look at your source as well, if that's a possibility.  I'd like to do something more command line oriented.  I have written one that works with Amazon but I'd like to include a Walmart search also, grabbing the largest image between the two sites.  Thanks!

Reply #13
david_dl   --   I would be very interested in having a look at your source as well, if that's a possibility.  I'd like to do something more command line oriented.  I have written one that works with Amazon but I'd like to include a Walmart search also, grabbing the largest image between the two sites.  Thanks!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352719"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I can email it to you, if you give me your email address. I probably wont recieve forum PMs because my ISP's email addresses are banned here, so send your address to daviddl[a]orcon.net.nz

Reply #14
It's just an outsider's opinion, but it would be great if you (Sebastian, David, jasnic02) could incorporate all these separate development efforts into one program - that would make the life of users easier
Life is Real...
(But not in audio :) )

Reply #15
It's just an outsider's opinion, but it would be great if you (Sebastian, David, jasnic02) could incorporate all these separate development efforts into one program - that would make the life of users easier
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352780"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hehehe, good idea. We all use different languages though, we would need to choose the best. As I said earlier, my intentions here are to learn/try out C#, so I'm thinking of creating a plugin system for mine, which should be able to cooperate with code written in any of the .NET languages. Its not really necessary, but it would be a good use for the .NET platform.

Reply #16
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352780"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hehehe, good idea. We all use different languages though, we would need to choose the best. As I said earlier, my intentions here are to learn/try out C#, so I'm thinking of creating a plugin system for mine, which should be able to cooperate with code written in any of the .NET languages. Its not really necessary, but it would be a good use for the .NET platform.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=352783"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Edit: Hmm, to quote Mr. Simpson, "Can't someone else do it"? 
Attached is my sourcecode complete in all its hideous messy glory.

Edit again 5 seconds later: Whoa, that source had some extra features not in the version above. I've updated the binary version in the first code to reflect this code here.

Reply #18
having some problems with .net framework
i tried installing the one from windows update :
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0: x86 (KB829019)

however, the install failed..

i then tried downloading an install version of it
however, when i ran your pgrm it said i needed .net framework 2.0.507575 [or something similar]

so i uninstalled that and

later, i tried installing an older version [NetFx64] and got [during installation]:
Code: [Select]
Error creating process <C:\DOCUMENTS...\Temp\IXP000.TMP/Install.exe>. Reason: C:\WINDOWS\system32\advpack.dll

help please?
thanks a lot

edit:fixed

Reply #19
Works great, thanks!

Reply #20
I realize this program is so far detailed as working with foobar, but does anyone know of a way to get this to work with winamp?

Thanks.

Reply #21
It would be nice if you added the image size under each thumbnail so you can tell if the cover you are replacing is bigger or smaller than the new downloaded one.

Reply #22
It would be nice if you added the image size under each thumbnail so you can tell if the cover you are replacing is bigger or smaller than the new downloaded one.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=358113"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Try it now. Btw all the walmart images are 500x500, but its useful to see the size of the existing image.

Reply #23
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=358113"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Try it now. Btw all the walmart images are 500x500, but its useful to see the size of the existing image.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=358374"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That was fast!  It works great.  Thanks.  Have you ever considered making it a standalone program that shows all albums in a folder and lets you find covers for it.  I am still looking for a program that will find all albums with covers under a certain size so I can replace them with wal-marts 500x500 covers.

Reply #24
That was fast!

That's the beauty of C#

Have you ever considered making it a standalone program that shows all albums in a folder and lets you find covers for it. I am still looking for a program that will find all albums with covers under a certain size so I can replace them with wal-marts 500x500 covers.

I might do this at some time, it certainly would not take long to implement. I've seen a few programs that do this, but generally they don't work/download poor quality covers.
If I have time, at some stage I will think of a good way to do this, maintaining foobar integration, and possibly providing support for other covers sites.