Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Terratec Phase X24 - Directsound playback and pause (Read 36845 times) previous topic - next topic

Terratec Phase X24 - Directsound playback and pause

Hello, I have recently bought the mentioned sound card and connected it to a Firewire controller connected to the PCI slot on the motherboard.

I have the following hardware configuration:
Code: [Select]
Mboard:  Biostar A770g A2+
CPU:     AMD Athlon X2 6000+
RAM:     2x2 GB(mushkin XP series)
GPU:     nVidia GeForce 9800 GT 1GB (Point of View)
Power:   Hiper Power Supply 530W
1394:    VIA Firewire Controller

and the soundcard is Terratec Phase X24 with the latest firmware and drivers (64-bit drivers for Vista).

The problem appears when i listen to an audio file using directsound and pause the playback. When i hold it paused for a few seconds/minutes and press play to resume, the player starts playing, but I can hear no sound (not from the player, not from any other player that I open afterwards); the sound returns again after a few seconds (varies from 2-3 sec to few minutes), or returns after I close the application which was paused and start playing again.

This happens both in Media Player Classic and foobar2000 v1 (i guess in any application which uses directsound). The problem, however, doesn't appear if I use ASIO driver for foobar2000 or in Cubase, so this brings me to a conclusion that there is a problem between the DirectSound and Terratec's drivers.

Unfortunately, I haven't tried to check does it happen with windows xp 32-bit, but I'm desperate to find the solution for the problem, as I don't want to make a switch back to the xp. Does anyone know how to check what exactly causes the problem?

EDIT: this does not happen with my old Creative Sound Blaster MP3+ (renamed to SB Connect!)

Reply #1
Are the DirectX drivers and the Terratec drivers up to date? Is Windows updated and patched with latest patches?
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #2
yes... I updated everything in windows, except spyware removal tools, and the Terratec drivers are latest, except they are from year 2007. I just bought the sound card and waited for more than two weeks for it to arrive from germany and if there is no alternative I'm going to be really disappointed with terratec... 

Reply #3
ok dude had the same same problem on win 7 32

dont ask me why but this fixed my problem

go to recording devices

and double click terratec      line in

first the one then later the other one

go to tab listen  under power management highlight contineu running when battery low

do the same for the other one  hope this helps u like it helped me.

seems to me the recording goes in cold sleep and then hole device goes to sleep

cheers

sorry dude stil goes completely of  but it did fix pause play in wmpl

Reply #4
Ophion75, thank you for your reply, but I already have these settings enabled, so it's up to something else... But I also think that it could be related to power saving, but don't know which options to check, except the default windows power options, but there is nothing related to sound or sound cards...

Reply #5
It's really funny that the official driver for windows 7 appeared on the official terratec site yesterday here

But this driver is just renamed two-and-a-half-year-old driver PHASE_X24_FireWire_App_Drv_Vista_XP_2.44.41.exe (see here) ==> also has the same md5sum as this driver.

I don't know what to say, except that I'm really disappointed and the problem still persists on my windows 7 system.

Reply #6
Did you tried to contact Terratec support?
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #7
Yes, but I seem to have misplaced the registration card (http://www.terratec.net/en/productregistration.html) with the "RegisterNumber". It is necessary to enter this number at the support form and I entered a number that is very likely wrong. After that nobody contacted me (it's been two weeks since).

I guess that I should try to call the number for professional audio listed here

EDIT:
I just called this number:
For Professional Audio (Producer) please call
+49 (0)2157-817919

and spoke with their support. The man from support called the programmer on the phone and later said that they didn't know about the problem and that they need to test it. If it happens on their configuration, the driver will be updated. Anyway, they took my e-mail address and said that they'll keep me informed. If they send me anything, I'll post here.

Reply #8
I got exactly the same problem. It's awfully annoying. In XP it all worked perfect. And I would rather sacrifice the card than Windows 7.
Even my old SB Live got updated KX drivers that work perfectly with 7.

Was there any update on the problem from Terratec?

They even got NO EMAIL for tech support. This is the last Terratec product I am using.
Dammit Terratec.

Reply #9
Hi bastardes,

I got no reply after talking to their support. As far as I've heard, Terratec has discontinued their Producer line and will only make budget-line equipment.
I am disappointed with their Win7 drivers and have found some luck in updated Asio4All drivers (works great in win7 x64, even better than Terratec's ASIO drivers). Seems like asio4all performs better at lower latencies.

Aside from the directsound issues, I also have issues with foobar2000's WASAPI output plugin - the output hangs when I try to seek the song (this doesn't happen in other players such as xmplay, but the foobar's developers seem to ignore my problem; can't blame them, because these drivers are buggy as hell).
Kernel streaming works fine, but there is a problem with sync of the current playback time and the progress bar. The only thing left is to use an ASIO driver, but this uses some CPU (2-3%) which is irritating to me, because I am used for foobar2000 CPU usage to be 0% while minimized.

The current drivers are a piece of crap and I highly doubt that they will ever be updated...

Reply #10
jeremija,

can we sue them?
or what do you think, will they react adequately after russian mafia comes to screw them?

Reply #11
Haha, who are we going to sue them to? I think it would be much cheaper to get another soundcard which has win7 compatible drivers :/

jeremija,

can we sue them?
or what do you think, will they react adequately after russian mafia comes to screw them?

Reply #13
So this will actually replace the Microsoft's FW driver and I will still need to use the Terratec's audio drivers, but the "layer between" the soundcard and the windows will now be this layer and it may work correctly?

edit: This only 32-bit version of the driver (I have win7 x64), but thanks for the link!

The thing is that the Phase X24 should work native on a Mac, the only thing that you need to install is the control panel for mac (at least that's what they say in the manual) - if there is something like a generic windows driver for mac sound cards - maybe it would work correcty

Reply #14
It says there:

"AVT FirePackage64:
Windows 7, Vista (64-Bit version) and Windows XP Pro x64"

So this will actually replace the Microsoft's FW driver and I will still need to use the Terratec's audio drivers, but the "layer between" the soundcard and the windows will now be this layer and it may work correctly?

Yep, ... but, will the Terratec drivers work better with these than what it does with M$ drivers ... you have to check it out.

Juha

Reply #15
I thought you meant AVT 1394 BusDriverPackage, NVM.

I installed the 1394 driver from AVT FirePackage64 and then I reinstalled my drivers for Terratec, but the setup program could not detect the sound card with the new 1394 driver.

Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Reply #16
I confirm that with this 1394 driver the sound card cannot be detected upon Terratec driver installation.

Reply #17
what do you think of mbox 2 mini?
i've read it has problems with quicktime/itunes in windows (which is ridiculous) and the other thing is that real latency in anything but protools is unacceptable.

is there any point to give it a try what you think? or protools le is a peace of shed and has nothing to do with real protools? )

Reply #18
Hmm, what will you be using it for?

If it only has problems with quicktime, you can always install quick time alternative... I can't remember the last time I used quicktime
My guess is that ProTools LE is, as it's name says, a limited edition of ProTools: it probably has a track/effects number limit, etc.

Btw: i have set up my old soundcard (sound blaster mp3+) as an alternate sound card on my machine and connected it to the Tuner input of my integrated amplifier - now Terratec is still there (connected on the amplifier's line-in input) and can be used for listening music in foobar and recording (via ASIO), and when I need to use Directsound, I just switch to Tuner to listen... Not much of a solution, but it works...

Reply #19
just called Terratec support (+49 (0)2157-817919) and Christof said they have never been reported about the problem

so I explained it to him and he asked me to call back tomorrow.

we'll see.

Reply #20
Terratec bastards, ow come they never heard of the problem??
He even told me he spoke to the driver programmer about it.

Hope they'll remember you

Reply #21
I'm just gonna call them every day until they make it work properly.

And what a nonsense — they've got no e-mail. Bastards!

Reply #22
You know what, I'm really interested in what will they say to you tomorrow... Maybe I'll buy a few skype credits and call them every day too

Reply #23
Did you call them? What did they say?

Reply #24
did no call them yesterday. going to call them as their business day starts )