Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Issue converting FLAC to MP3 (Read 2775 times) previous topic - next topic

Issue converting FLAC to MP3

Hi

I recently purchased DBpoweramp and when I try to convert FLAC files to MP3 it seems to be adding a very tiny amount of silence at the end of the file or cutting off the end of the file or cutting off the start of the next file so when I play a gapless track there is a tiny jump between tracks. The jump is less than 1 second but is very noticeable. The FLAC files play fine.

I changed the mp3 ID Tagging option from ID3v2 (ANSI) to Ape2 & ID3v1 (Unicode-16).

Can anyone please tell me what the difference is and whether it will have any effect on my MP3s and which is best? or if there is anyway I can get it to work with ID3v2?

Is it because I have created my FLAC files incorrectly? or added something incorrect to my FLAC files?

Thank You

Re: Issue converting FLAC to MP3

Reply #1
http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Gapless

If you use the Lame encoder and a player that can make use of the gapless information in the header then there should be no problem, otherwise all bets are off.

Reply #2
Thank you for the reply.

have I done my FLAC files incorrectly then? The album is gapless there are just a couple of gapless tracks on the album. I have just ripped my FLAC files using the append gap to previous file.

Or is it because MP3s add extra data to the file?

Reply #4
Your FLACs are almost certainly fine, and the problem is almost certainly that the MP3 format includes extra audio at the beginning and end of the file.* On some transitions it will be audible, others not. The MP3 encoder may have added metadata to the file to (basically) say how much extra audio there is on each end, but it is still up to the player to support reading that info and trimming the audio during playback. Many players don't. Also, the encoders I know of which add the necessary data are Fraunhofer, LAME and iTunes/QuickTime ... but they all do it slightly differently.

* A much smaller chance exists that the MP3 encoding of each track individually caused clicks. This could be alleviated by using pcutmp3. But usually this is not necessary.

Reply #5
Ok thank you