Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Converting to one folder, I have to do tracks of same title separately (Read 1473 times) previous topic - next topic

Converting to one folder, I have to do tracks of same title separately

I am converting m4a to mp3. In the process many of my original m4a tracks are duplicate song titles, but sung by different artists. Unless I am missing something I seem to have to skip songs with such duplicate titles if I am copying the new mp3 tracks to one folder. I have to make a note of the titles then re-submit them again into a different folder.

Is there a way of avoiding this?

Thanks

Gareth

Reply #1
It could be as simple as adding something to your destination filename pattern that will differentiate between versions, e.g.:
Code: [Select]
%artist% - %title%
Code: [Select]
%album% - %tracknumber%. %artist% - %title%
But this assumes that your naming pattern has hitherto been very simple, perhaps just the title. Since you didn’t specify which pattern you use to put files together in this single folder, it’s difficult to give a clear answer.

Reply #2
db1989 - you are quite right I was using the simplest possible pattern. Just had a look at the software again and I can see I can add so much more!

Problem solved.

My thanks

Gareth

Reply #3
Great!

A couple of other tips, off the top of my head: (1) if it’s not essential that you convert everything to one folder (perhaps it is, for whatever reason), you can have foobar2000 create sub-folders by simply including a backslash within your naming pattern; and (2) enclosing any segment of text in square brackets will mean that it only gets added to the filename if all fields within the brackets exist, for example %album artist%\%album%\%tracknumber%. [%track artist% - ] %title%

Reply #4
db1989

In this case it is useful to have it in one folder, but I do take your point. Your advice has been fantastically useful. I am really grateful. 

Conversion starts tomorrow (again)!

Gareth