Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Monkey's Audio support added to Rockbox (Read 4994 times) previous topic - next topic

Monkey's Audio support added to Rockbox

Initial support for playing Monkey's Audio files has been added to Rockbox. 

The codec is based on a new Monkey's decoding library (libdemac) which is licensed under the GNU GPL.  Both libdemac and Rockbox support are still under development and the current status is as follows:
  • Support for v3.97 and later files
  • Seeking support
  • -c1000, -c2000 and -c3000 decode faster than realtime on the Gigabeat F and X series players
  • -c1000 decodes faster than realtime on the iriver H100/H300 series and Cowon X5/M5 players
  • Decoding is not yet realtime on players utilising the "PortalPlayer" CPU (all iPods, iriver H10, Sansa E200 series)

Development is ongoing, with the effort concentrated on making more compression modes decode in realtime on as many devices as possible.

For more information about Rockbox, see http://www.rockbox.org

The Monkey's Audio support is documented at http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main...decMonkeysAudio

Reply #1
i'm surprised if this was the first mention, i noticed this last week in the commits and thought it was a great idea...

is there an expected performance gain?

are there any more potential increases in decoding speed is what i'm getting at...

thanks dave

later

Reply #2
are there any more potential increases in decoding speed is what i'm getting at...

Yes, there is definitely some room for optimisation, but it's hard to say how much at this stage. 

If I was to guess, then I would say that maybe another compression mode can become realtime on each of the different CPUs Rockbox runs on, but I would be surprised if much more than that can be achieved.

Reply #3
i noticed some more C and ARM optimizations in rockbox, cool!

also i saw you were working on the WMA plugin???

is that mentioned on HA yet?

later