Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Hardware FLAC streamer for stereo (Read 13656 times) previous topic - next topic

Hardware FLAC streamer for stereo

I'm looking for a solution that will allow me to play FLAC files (preferably with CUE support) on my stereo.  Bonus points if I don't have to use a TV interface, but perhaps an app on my iPad.  I want to basically stream music from my server through some kind of hardware device that attaches to an input on my stereo, either analog or digital.

Reply #1
A DLNA player might work, but I don't know if that would work for you.

In my case, I have UMS (Universal media server) on the PC, a Samsung SIII mini with Android 4.1.2 and an LG Smart TV from 2012.
I play the files with the Samsung audio player, and press a button to make it play in the TV, which outputs to an integrated Amp.
Said that, I don't use that too often, since the TV has a DLNA player as well and a pointing device.

Reply #2
Squeezebox, while discontinued, does exactly what you want.  May still be able to score one on ebay.  Server software is free.

This would work:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-Add-on-Re...=item1e78f5f697

Since this Squeezebox Receiver does not have a display, you'll need to go through some gyrations to accomplish the initial setup but should be smooth sailing after that.  Instructions can be found online.  This model supports up to 24/48 FLAC.  There is a free iOS and Android control app.

As said above, DLNA is another way to go but I don't think it supports gapless playback.

EDIT: BTW, the Squeezebox Radio is more easily found, about the same price as the Receiver, is portable and has a display.  It may have a single speaker, but the headphone output is stereo.  Also supports 24/48 FLAC.  Just use one of these to attach it to your stereo:
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Audio-Cable-S...ds=3.5mm+to+rca

Reply #3
Squeezebox, while discontinued, does exactly what you want.  May still be able to score one on ebay.  Server software is free.

+1.  Works very well. Look for a sb TOUCH.  Can control from touch itself or computer or smartphone. Handles 24/96 or up to 24/192 with EDO applet. Analog or digital out (spdif optical or USB)

Reply #4
+1.  Works very well. Look for a sb TOUCH.  Can control from touch itself or computer or smartphone. Handles 24/96 or up to 24/192 with EDO applet. Analog or digital out (spdif optical or USB)

+2. I have 2 of these, it's unfortunate Logitech decided to dump the product range.

Reply #5
Bidding on one on eBay now.  Thanks

Reply #6
I've been researching this lately.  Another possibility would be purchasing an Apple Airport Express ("Wi-Fi base station") plus Airfoil software.  Haven't tried it but it should meet your needs.

Reply #7
Another possibility would be purchasing an Apple Airport Express ("Wi-Fi base station") plus Airfoil software.  Haven't tried it but it should meet your needs.

OP wants to stream FLAC. Will that work with Apple? I know you can tinker with Apple products. But out-of-the-box, they usually support very few formats, and FLAC is not one of them.

Reply #8
I'm looking for a solution that will allow me to play FLAC files (preferably with CUE support) on my stereo.  Bonus points if I don't have to use a TV interface, but perhaps an app on my iPad.  I want to basically stream music from my server through some kind of hardware device that attaches to an input on my stereo, either analog or digital.

I use Sonos Connect product to stream FLAC from my NAS.  Optical audio, WiFi, integration with the Sonos system and high WAF to boot.
http://www.sonos.com/shop/products/connect

Reply #9
I use Sonos Connect product to stream FLAC from my NAS.  Optical audio, WiFi, integration with the Sonos system and high WAF to boot.
http://www.sonos.com/shop/products/connect

Since I don't know how old this page is:
http://flac.sourceforge.net/links.html#review_sonos

Can you confirm that the Sonos nowadays does or does not support CUE sheets?

Reply #10
Another possibility would be purchasing an Apple Airport Express ("Wi-Fi base station") plus Airfoil software.  Haven't tried it but it should meet your needs.

OP wants to stream FLAC. Will that work with Apple? I know you can tinker with Apple products. But out-of-the-box, they usually support very few formats, and FLAC is not one of them.

The key is the Airfoil software http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/windows/.  From what I have read, it transcodes the output of your audio program (e.g., foobar2000) to ALAC which the Airport Express supports.  The software is $25 and the Airport Express is $100.  Not cheap but Squeezeboxes are discontinued and apparently sought after.

Reply #11

+2. I have 2 of these, it's unfortunate Logitech decided to dump the product range.

Looking to buy one on eBay now.  Thanks.

Reply #12
Since I don't know how old this page is:
http://flac.sourceforge.net/links.html#review_sonos

Very old. Not updated for at least 5 years. New version is here: http://xiph.org/flac/links.html

I own a Pioneer BDP-150 which plays FLAC over DLNA (not gapless, no cue support I think), controlled with any iOS or Android device. It's works nice.
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

Reply #13
Yah, no cue support is a non-starter for me, but a dream would be album art over an iOS managed device remote.  I don't know if the combination of features I want exists, but DLNA or any re-sampling is definitely bad.

Reply #14
Yah, no cue support is a non-starter for me, but a dream would be album art over an iOS managed device remote.  I don't know if the combination of features I want exists, but DLNA or any re-sampling is definitely bad.

Squeezeboxes, and Logitech media server, deals with cue sheets, gapless, large libraries, and one can manage everything over smart device, including seeing album art. I use ipeng app for iPhone and ipeng for iPad and squeezepad for iPad.

Reply #15

Squeezeboxes, and Logitech media server, deals with cue sheets, gapless, large libraries, and one can manage everything over smart device, including seeing album art. I use ipeng app for iPhone and ipeng for iPad and squeezepad for iPad.

Wow....once I realized there are other devices that can be a DIY Squeezebox, like the Cubox, I'm sold on that platform.

Reply #16
Wow....once I realized there are other devices that can be a DIY Squeezebox, like the Cubox, I'm sold on that platform.

Yep, you really have to wonder which braniac at Logitech had no idea about the product they had  Sonos is just a more expensive version of a similar system.

Reply #17

Lots of work being done on this front. (see forums.slimdevices.com)  Both software (community squeeze) and hardware (player) projects.  Cubox, the VAMP over at vortexbox.org, rasberry pi, etc.  Heck, my iphone and ipad have software that has turned them into equivalent squeezebox players (that can be synced with other SB players too).