Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC Frontend - compression level, and logging (Read 6377 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC Frontend - compression level, and logging

Hi guys

I'm relatively new to FLAC, but it seems like a perfect format to me!
I have a few questions about the functions of FLAC Frontend

At the moment I always rip my CDs in 320kb CBR MP3 format, but having purchased a new external HDD I have the space to use FLAC from now on.

So I've installed FLAC, and got FLAC Frontend from
http://members.home.nl/w.speek/flac.htm

I normally use EAC to convert to WAV, then use whatever frontend (RazorLame for MP3) to convert the files in batches.

But I have some questions about the FLAC Frontend.

1) What are the different encoding level options I see in the FLAC Frontend interface?
I'm guessing they balance the amount of compression with the time taken to encode - but in my tests with a 60MB WAV file, it resulted in a marginal 4MB difference between level 4 and level 8.
I'm not bothered about saving that 4MB over a 60MB file - so what's the best setting in FLAC Frontend?

2) The verify option
Is that all I need to do to ensure my FLAC files have been created properly?

3) Logging FLAC
Are there any options in FLAC for the logging of the conversion of the files?
In FLAC Frontend there doesn't seem to be any options, and looking through the switches of flac.exe I couldn't see anything either.

4) I've gathered from other posts on this forum that Replaygain doesn't really add advantage to what I'm doing.
Basically I'm gradually archiving my CD collection so I don't have to cart all my CDs around when moving house etc.

Thanks

Ben
Current HTPC: Mini-ITX Zotac Ion board with Intel Atom CPU

Reply #1
1) What are the different encoding level options I see in the FLAC Frontend interface?
I'm guessing they balance the amount of compression with the time taken to encode - but in my tests with a 60MB WAV file, it resulted in a marginal 4MB difference between level 4 and level 8.
I'm not bothered about saving that 4MB over a 60MB file - so what's the best setting in FLAC Frontend?

Yes, higher compression level = slower encoding rate = marginal difference in most cases.
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...asked_questions
I agree with the above FAQ... default level of 5 is fine, if you're concerned about encoding speed

2) The verify option
Is that all I need to do to ensure my FLAC files have been created properly?

Yes. http://flac.sourceforge.net/documentation.html
With this option, flac will create a parallel decoder that decodes the output of the encoder and compares the result against the original. It will abort immediately with an error if a mismatch occurs. -V increases the total encoding time but is guaranteed to catch any unforseen bug in the encoding process.

4) I've gathered from other posts on this forum that Replaygain doesn't really add advantage to what I'm doing.
Basically I'm gradually archiving my CD collection so I don't have to cart all my CDs around when moving house etc.

There is no disadvantage other than a little extra encoding time. But replaygain metadata gives you the great advantage of not needing to adjust volume levels for tracks or albums that are too quiet or loud. (...when using a compatible player) Replaygain analysis can also be done after encoding, at any time, with the proper software. So if you choose not to bother now, you can always add it later.

as for #3, I don't know of any automatic logging option

Reply #2
Thanks for the info - most of those were replies that I expected.

I guess I'll just have to make do with the EAC logs.

Regarding the replay gain setting - that's great news that it can be added later. Although I guess the fact that the FLAC files could be converted back to WAV, then re-encoded to FLAC with replay gain is a big clue!

Any suggestions of what software to use if I later wanted to add the replay gain information to my FLAC files?

Thanks

Ben

Reply #3
Any suggestions of what software to use if I later wanted to add the replay gain information to my FLAC files?

Without reservation, foobar2000.

Reply #4
Excellent stuff

Thanks for all the info guys!
Long live FLAC!