Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Portal slowdown (Read 2773 times) previous topic - next topic

Portal slowdown

We are aware of the portal homepage slowdown and we know what is the actual problem. Hopefully we can solve this issue pretty soon.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Portal slowdown

Reply #1
It seems as though the slowdowns are due to 4 or 5 poorly designed SQL queries which each take up to a second or more to complete.  Since I don't know much about SQL and probably don't have the time to learn right now, we may end up switching to some other portal software.

At the very least, I have turned off a few items which were contributing to the slowdown, so while things are still not nearly as fast as they should be, they are at least a little faster then they were.  This should suffice until a better solution is found.

Portal slowdown

Reply #2
Ok, I found a way how to dramatically reduce the Portal SQL query times with the use of indexing queries.

We should have indexing queries and some other smaller optimizations implemented soon, so the portal should become clearly faster.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Portal slowdown

Reply #3
Things with the portal should be much faster now.  JohnV and I were able to rewrite some of the queries used as well as reducing the number of queries also.  Average response time has gone from 5-8 seconds down to .25 seconds  There's room for more optimization too it looks like, but it probably won't bring about any noticeable increases to most users at this point.