Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Turntable interference high pitched frequency ring/ whine sound (Read 1635 times) previous topic - next topic

Turntable interference high pitched frequency ring/ whine sound

Hi there guys

Been baffled for quite sometime about a sound i get with my recordings on turntable.

Its quite hard to hear normally unless headphones are used but its a high pitched frequency noise.

I have amplified it so it sounds a lot worse than it would had i not amplified it but have a listen to it and let me know what you think? This particular sound was recorded with the stylus in contact with the record before the song started.

Turntable is plugged into a double socket. plugged into the other outlet on the same double socket is a Preamp. Turntable is grounded to that Preamp with ground wire. I am then going from TT RCA to Preamp, then Preamp RCA to RCA Sound card RCA inputs. However PC is connected to a completely different outlet further down the wall.

This is quite frustrating because this high pitched noise is making its way into my recordings and is more apparent on the beats.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Re: Turntable interference high pitched frequency ring/ whine sound

Reply #1
Maybe it's my ears or my system but I can't hear anything except record surface noise (ticks) and an overall noise of the stylus on the rotating plastic.

Reply #2
try this one. I removed the noise on it and sampled just the whiney sound. let me know if this is better

Reply #3
Just some low frequency thumps and rub noise from the track wall. Sounds like just one revolution.

Reply #4
Its really wierd actually... If i listen to it on a particular set of headphones on this PC i can hear the high pitched whine but if i listen to it on another PC using the same headphones i can't hear the whine and just the rub noise.
Thanks for reply

Reply #5
Might it be it is simply the PC?
TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #6
If so, does that mean the PC would need grounding? If so, would just be a copper wire to a chassis screw then a contact on power board?

Reply #7
Things to try (one at a  time):
a] turn off video monitor (better yet unplug the video monitor from the AC)
b] plug everything into the same AC wall outlet.
c] move everything into a different room and different AC outlet.
d] use a headphone amp with the PC and video monitor unplugged.
Kevin Graf :: aka Speedskater

Reply #8
I did just try one thing before reading your message. As you can see on the pics PC & Monitor are pluged into their own outlet. Then Turntable and Preamp are plugged into their own outlet.

What I did was I got a ground wire and screwed one end into the chassis case with PC case screw, then the other end I screwed into the ground terminal on the Preamp. This now meant it had 2 ground connectors on the same terminal. 1 was the turntable earth and one was the PC chassis earth. This has got rid of that high pitched noise. But is doing this an ok method? Having 2 earth leads on the same screw terminal on the preamp?

Reply #9
This has got rid of that high pitched noise. But is doing this an ok method? Having 2 earth leads on the same screw terminal on the preamp?
Whatever works! :D   Noise problems can be tricky.   The "rule" is to avoid ground loops (multiple-different paths to ground).  Ideally a "star" technique with everything grounded to the same point works best.  That's not always practical/possible and sometimes a different approach just happens to work better.

The noise is probably originating from the all the high-speed signals in the computer and getting-into the computer's power supply, but who-knows what's going-on from there.  Computer power supplies are usually very (electrically) noisy.   That's OK for the computer because the digital  electronics are highly immune to noise.    On the other hand, preamps are highly sensitive to noise.   

Reply #10
I once had a mainboard (with onboard soundcard as it is typical nowadays) that forced me to reset the soundcard within the device manager each time after standby or hibernation. (Since Windows 8 shutdown essentially IS hibernation).

When I did not reset (disable/enable) the soundcard in the device manager after hibernation it did weird noises like MartyK wrote.
I ended up with a script placed in taskbar, which I clicked, when I started using my computer.