Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: When does Opus come to SoX? (Read 9694 times) previous topic - next topic

When does Opus come to SoX?

I use SoX for recording on Windows, mostly. It's the tool I find the easiest to use, and it has never let me down so far.

SoX doesn't seem to support Opus yet, however. I asked on the SoX mailing list about that some time ago, but all I got, was someone translating my question into Esperanto, and telling me to ask all further question in Esperanto as well. No answer as such, though.

Does anybody know when Opus support will come to SoX? I don't need it desperately, but the computers that do the recordings only run Windows, and on that, SoX is the only sound recording tool that makes sense to me. I'd like to play around a bit, see how well it works with my 8 hours long live recordings.

Reply #1
I guess you could probably use sox as 'rec' to record 48kHz audio and direct it as WAV PCM or a similar raw stream but direct that output to stdout then direct that to opusenc as input. You could try testing that.
Dynamic – the artist formerly known as DickD

Reply #2
I'm just curious if pre-resampling with SoX to 48khz is good enough, i.e. no internal resampling by libopus is made

Reply #3
Curious? Then, as usual, simply check http://src.infinitewave.ca/. As you will see, SoX does pretty great, particularly at “VHQ”. I really doubt you need to worry. I presume the resampler in Opus is equally competent.

Reply #5
I guess you could probably use sox as 'rec' to record 48kHz audio and direct it as WAV PCM or a similar raw stream but direct that output to stdout then direct that to opusenc as input. You could try testing that.

It's actually what I do right now:

Code: [Select]
rec -t raw - | opusenc --raw - %filename%

It works OK, and all, but I still need to install the Opus tools, etc. On windows, that isn't exactly pleasant. That is, using the console in general, isn't a pleasant experience on Windows.

Reply #6
Why? Don't use console, use ConEmu
Error 404; signature server not available.