Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Sb Live! + Winamp 2.81 + Asio Plugin + Kx Driver (Read 7086 times) previous topic - next topic

Sb Live! + Winamp 2.81 + Asio Plugin + Kx Driver

Friends,

My sound card is a SB Live! Value CT4670.  Winamp 2.81 + ASIO output plugin + kX ASIO driver are installed after a clean install of Win2K + SP3.  The ASIO out plugin properly detects the ASIO driver(the drop down box says "kXasio").  However, if I play a "ripped" WAV file(i.e. I hit play on Winamp), it does absolutely nothing.  My input plugin is Nullsoft Waveform Decoder v2.05a in which I have highlighted WAV in the options menu.  Has anyone ever got this combination to successfully work?  Many thanks.

Cheers,
Biggs

Reply #1
it sure doesn't work for me either...
WARNING:  Changing of advanced parameters might degrade sound quality.  Modify them only if you are expirienced in audio compression!

Reply #2
ASIO only accepts card's native format, try enabling SSRC option in the plugin and set resampling to 48kHz.

Reply #3
don't mind my bluntness, but what does the ASIO functionality of the kx driver DO then?

Edit:  Oh, and YES, I will definately do the resampling tweak that you mention, probably whether or not this works...I hear WaveOut and SSRC resample to 48 kHz does best for Win95-NT, and DirectSound SSRC resample 48 kHz works great for Win2000 and above...AND, if the MP3splice plugin programmer adds 48 kHz resampling to HIS plugin, I will definately use his...
WARNING:  Changing of advanced parameters might degrade sound quality.  Modify them only if you are expirienced in audio compression!

Reply #4
don't mind my bluntness, but what does the ASIO functionality of the kx driver DO then?

kX ASIO Driver doesn't resample (this would introduce latency).

Reply #5
What programs can use it?  I can't get it to work with the Winamp program.  I assume it doesn't work with the Live! Value cards?

Reply #6
The Sound Blaster card can not play native 44.1Khz streams not with WAVE, DS, ASIO or any other driver model. The built-in resampling is inferior to SSRC, so it makes sense to feed the card a 48Khz signal to bypass it's internal process.

Cheers

Thomas

Reply #7
I see, so the only audio that will play with the ASIO driver for me would be a true 48 kHz stream.  that is why it will not work with my mp3s.  Fyi, I reloaded the kX driver, and now the sliders work, the sound test works, and the black jack works as well.  I recorded a 48 kHz stream and a 44.1 kHz stream, and the 48 worked, but the 44.1 didn't with the plugin.  THAT's my answer.  Back to using the WaveOut or DirectSound SSRC.

Question:  With the black port, when I enable "Digital Output Only" the sound continues to play, but when I enable it with the green port, the sound stops.  I know that going directly to my speakers,  the signal must be Analog, so I am assuming that the black port cannot send a digital signal, but the green one can (say to a amp)?

And a more technical question:  Why is the software resampling with the SSRC plugins better than the hardware resampling process that occurs by sending the soundcard a 44.1 kHz stream?

Reply #8
There is an ASIO plugin with resampling here:

Reply #9
lol, now what benefits does THIS plugin have over the other SSRC plugins?

Reply #10

Bypassing the windows kmixer? Or bypassing certain driver stages which can be buggy?

Reply #11

What kind of respose is that? Figure it out.

Reply #12
I see, I guess I need to read up on where the audio streams go from start to finish, I am looking seriously at the University of Miami's Audio Engineering program, btw (am awaiting yay or nay), and I guess it wouldn't hurt me..  Can anybody give a short start to finish if they can...from Winamp to Analog out. for each plugin (the WaveOut, the DirectSound, and the ASIO).  That would be great.  If anybody has some links to some more detailed text, I would appreciate it.

edit to CosmoKramer:  Sorry man, but that is what asking questions is for.  You don't have to bother to read my posts if you don't want to.  The reason for my "lol...." was simply because this added another variable to my questions, and I thought it was kinda funny, sorry if it offends you.  I am not knowledgeable on the coding of ANY of these plugins, so I simply ask to learn.  Just for you, I'll do a Google search as well, because I know where you are coming from as this same type of questioning of mine right now has annoyed me before when coming from others.

Reply #13
Well, you are of course free to ask anything you want. The thing is I did indeed misunderstand what you meant - the way I interpreted it was that I did you a favour and you responded with a condescending attitude. Seeing as this was not how you meant it let's just forget the whole thing...

The benefit of ASIO for playback is that it bypasses the internal windows mixer (kmixer.sys) that is known to mess up audio streams. Wave and DSound are types of streams that pass through kmixer afaik.

The benefit of ASIO for recording is primarily that it can offer very low latency.

Reply #14
Nice!  So should the resampling quality between the three be similar if not identical?  If so, I'll take advantage of the low latency of the ASIO resampling plugin.

Reply #15
Nice!  So should the resampling quality between the three be similar if not identical?  If so, I'll take advantage of the low latency of the ASIO resampling plugin.

They all use the same SSRC algorithm.

Reply #16
Nice!  So should the resampling quality between the three be similar if not identical?  If so, I'll take advantage of the low latency of the ASIO resampling plugin.

The all use the same SSRC algorithm.

good.  Is the ASIO standard open source?  This would be great if the Mp3-splice programmer made an ASIO resampling plugin.  The "Gapless" mode in the ASIO plugin is not truely gapless (with mp3s), but the mp3-splice plugin somehow works miracles.

Edit: ah, nevermind, I have the source in my hand now, sorry.