Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: VST support for FB2k (Read 24834 times) previous topic - next topic

VST support for FB2k

It would add a whole new level to Foobar if it could use VST plugins for processing.  Imagine high quality reverbs, multiband compressors, parametric eq's, etc.

Although it is not necessary, it would be a nice luxury.  SIR (Super Impulse Reverb) is a freeware convolution VST plugin that allows you to process a signal with an impulse response (.wav recording of a real room, etc) to accurately simulate reverbs.  Imagine listening to your tracks in the most famous concert halls!  You can download impulses of them as well as famous studio gear on the web.

VST support for FB2k

Reply #1
That would be the greatest thing which could be given to fb2k!  B)
"We like to do 2% jazz and 98% funky stuff." [Maceo Parker]

VST support for FB2k

Reply #2
A DirectX plugin would be nice too

Edit: I mean, support for DirectX plugins.

VST support for FB2k

Reply #3
wow great idea

VST support for FB2k

Reply #4
Or support for Winamp plugins  Because There's a WinAmp plug-in (AdaptX) that gives you the ability to use DirectX plug-ins. There's no need to reinvent the wheel indeed. It would be amazing to have DirectX plug-in support
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

VST support for FB2k

Reply #5
Or support for Winamp plugins   Because There's a WinAmp plug-in (AdaptX) that gives you the ability to use DirectX plug-ins. There's no need to reinvent the wheel indeed. It would be amazing to have DirectX plug-in support

there will be no winamp legacy junk in fb2k.
(originally said here)

VST support for FB2k

Reply #6
Maybe it's just me... but I wouldn't want to listen to my music with reverb and/or other weird effects applied to it. I don't really see the point.

VST support for FB2k

Reply #7
I see DirectX plug-in compatibility really interesting to use with "Waves L2-Ultramaximizer" when:

1.- Using Diskwriter to get a 16bit WAV.

2.- For Playback with a good souindcard, amplifier and speakers.

I´d like to know opinions from Peter & other developers

VST support for FB2k

Reply #8
There need not be WinAmp plug-in support. But still check this out:

I'm a developer and I would like to add DirectX plug-in hosting capabilities to my application. Can you help?

Yes. Adapt-X uses internally the Adapt-X Plug-in Engine to perform most of its tasks: filter chaining, preset and property pages handling, etc. The engine is encapsulated into a separated DLL so other programs may use it through the Adapt-X Engine SDK, which completely isolates the application from the DirectX SDK.

You'll find more technical details in the SDK page.

Check chronotron web site for more information. As I said there's no need to reinvent the wheel. Nothing would be cooler than DirectX plug-in support because of the availability of professional plug-ins and it is a standard (unlike legacy foobar2000 plugins).

VST support for FB2k

Reply #9
Maybe it's just me... but I wouldn't want to listen to my music with reverb and/or other weird effects applied to it. I don't really see the point.

Then you don't. It's about having the choice to be able to use them. If those effects were that weird Waves wouldn't be selling them for prices > $500.

VST support for FB2k

Reply #10
It's about having the choice to be able to use them.

Sure, choice can be a good thing. But I still don't see a practical use for this. I'd rather have Peter focus on more important issues (like mpglib bugs).

If those effects were that weird Waves wouldn't be selling them for prices > $500.

You're missing my point. I'm asking why you would want to apply reverb (for example) to your music while you play it. Or a concert hall effect. It might be fun to play with for 5 minutes, and then you switch it off.

VST support for FB2k

Reply #11
One might ask 'What's the point' of having Direct X or VST support in Foobar.  My answer is many users of Foobar already use 'weird effects' such as eq's and limiters.  Why not use Direct X/VST plugins for much higher quality results.  Contrary it the opinion of some eq's DO improve audio quality on most (yes, even on some high end) sound systems.  This is because every amp and speaker combination has a differing freqency response.  When a CD is mixed and mastered it is usually done so on a system will a near flat frequency response.  The engineer tries to make the it sound the best for that particular system.  As Home systems differ in degrees (on how close it sounds in comparison to a flat frequency response system) correction via an EQ becomes necessary in order to HEAR the CD (true of Mp3's too!) how the engineer intended it to sound.

VST support for FB2k

Reply #12
My answer is many users of Foobar already use 'weird effects' such as eq's and limiters.

These are not 'weird effects.' EQ is to correct for audio equipment which does not produce a linear frequency curve, by attenuating frequency ranges which it biases. Limiters are for more gracefully handling clipping than simple saturation.

VST support for FB2k

Reply #13
[deleted]

VST support for FB2k

Reply #14
These are not 'weird effects.' EQ is to correct for audio equipment which does not produce a linear frequency curve, by attenuating frequency ranges which it biases. Limiters are for more gracefully handling clipping than simple saturation.

I agree they are not 'weird'.  I was actually quoting 'JensRex' who had called them 'weird', see above.

VST support for FB2k

Reply #15

I agree they are not 'weird'.  I was actually quoting 'JensRex' who had called them 'weird', see above.

I don't believe that's what JensRex had in mind. More like sound coloring or distorting filters which you speak of. Another fine example is the DSP I made, based on the SoundTouch library.

VST support for FB2k

Reply #16

I don't believe that's what JensRex had in mind. More like sound coloring or distorting filters which you speak of. Another fine example is the DSP I made, based on the SoundTouch library.

yeah I was messing about with the SoundTouch DSP yesterday  speeding up songs without changing the pitch is a very nice effect and potentially useful to ppl (though not me personally at the moment)

VST support for FB2k

Reply #17
Gosh, I just realized the world of DirectX plugins. No other DSP plugin would do it for me anymore!  (w00t) I have been trying these plugins (especially the Waves ones) and it blew my mind.
I have Adapt-X running on QCD player. I would never touch Foobar2000 until the advent of DirectX plugin support...

VST support for FB2k

Reply #18
[deleted]

VST support for FB2k

Reply #19

That would be a room response of an impulse, hmmm, I'd say that would be a completely neutral room? (sounds good to me!)...
What I really need is an inverse my room, my equipment, response...of course that would imply they would have to be linear...

VST support for FB2k

Reply #20
Why?  That makes no sense, considering that the useful plugins that are included with Foobar2000 such as the Advanced Limiter, Equalizer, Soft Clipping Limiter, Resampler, etc, are far superior in quality to any DirectX Audio Plugins that I've seen to perform the same functions. 

Sure they might not have fullscreen GUI's full of bells and whistles but that isn't what matters when you are sitting down listening to music.

I think that sounds too optimistic to me. Yes maybe those particular plug-ins are doing a good job. But to compare Foobar's plugins with plugins sold at exorbitant prices is not a very good idea. I don't say Foobar's plugins won't compare but I'm sure there are professional DirectX ones that are as good. I was trying the Waves L2 Ultramaximizer , MaxxBass and Antares Tube plug-in and they are awesome! I agree bells and whistles are not necessary but I don't have a problem having them. That they have bells and whistles don't mean that they sound any worse.

I was trying the X-Noise and X-Hum plug-in of Waves. If I can get rid of Glenn Gould humming on his performances then I would be a very happy man. X-Noise does quite a good job on some of my recordings that have background hissing (because they are really old recordings) like Isaac Stern, etc. It would be better as I learn...

VST support for FB2k

Reply #21
It would be great (though very unlikely) if we could have RTAS plugin support for Foobar.

Check out:-
http://www.bombfactory.com/products/main.html

These plugins might well be the 'Holy Grail!'

VST support for FB2k

Reply #22
These plugins might well be the 'Holy Grail!'

I have them all. They are indeed _amazing_.

Too bad you need ProTools to be able to use them. >_< (If Bomb Factory would at least create VST or DX plugins... <sigh>)

VST support for FB2k

Reply #23
So any chance of direct-x plugin support?..I mainly want this for using foobar as a source for icecast streaming (replacing winamp)...However, without direct-x plugins my dynamic compression options are very limited. 

VST support for FB2k

Reply #24
I'd like to second/third the request for a directx-plugin plugin - I would love to use the Waves Ultramaximiser for diskwriter, among others.
The AdaptX plugin for winamp was great, something similar for fb2k would be even better.

Ta!
Rich