Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Renaming Software- Generic Files to both Filename and Tag (Read 1633 times) previous topic - next topic

Renaming Software- Generic Files to both Filename and Tag

I'm looking for the best software for the following scenario:

I have a bunch of wav files that have random names. I know what each file is (songs). I want rename each file with artist and name of song, so that the filename is converted and a tag is created at the same time.

Is there software that will do this?

Re: Renaming Software- Generic Files to both Filename and Tag

Reply #1
Mp3Tag can copy the title-tag to the file name, and maybe the other way too.

Or, once you've got the file/folder open  in MpP3Tag it's pretty easy to edit the file name from there and/or you can copy-and-paste from one tag/field to another.

And it may not relate to what you're doing, but you open an "album" folder, select all of the files, and edit all of the common information (album, artist, artwork, etc.) all at once.

Reply #2
Whenever there is a question about manipulating tags and filenames, the answer is (almost always) MP3Tag!  I was using that for years before I discovered FB2K.
It's your privilege to disagree, but that doesn't make you right and me wrong.

Reply #3
MP3Tag is excellent software.
However doing stuff like renaming files from tags with an external app means your media player won't find these files anymore so you have to rescan.
If you do this type of manipulations inside your media player you don't have this problem.
TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #4
fb2k can format from clipboard also. Needs to be one per line, in the right order, and (annoyingly) you cannot use tab separated fields.

Reply #5
fb2k can format from clipboard also. Needs to be one per line, in the right order, and (annoyingly) you cannot use tab separated fields.

Thank you, and to all the responses. I will re-look at mp3tag and fb2k

Reply #6
i've written a python script based on mutagen library, which does something like this.
never tested with wav, it's focused on FLAC.
I can share if you have any interest.
(but there's no magic, anyone can write something like this - mutagen library is fairly easy to use)
a fan of AutoEq + Meier Crossfeed