Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Columns UI (Read 4559945 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Columns UI

Reply #7300
How many module decoders are there? :P

It definitely does work with foo_openmpt54 during playback – see screenshot.

foo_openmpt does indeed just return ..

foo_dumb doesn't seem to set that MESSAGE field, so not sure on the exact behaviour there.

Reply #7301
@musicmusic, you were right!
but I noticed the following:
For foo_openmpt54 component the message field of metedata display of depends on the choice Right click menu at item details panel area:
Displayed track/Playing item or Current selection.
If select "Dispayed track/Current item" I see only "." (see attached pic. "not Ok.jpg")
if select "Dispayed track/Playing item" I see text of the message completely (see attached pic. "Ok.jpg")

For foo_openmpt component doesn't depend of the above selection, I see only "."

:)
Thank a lot for your help!

sorting of file size

Reply #7302
File size column - Columns UI sorts numbers as if they were alphabets. Is it possible to sort it as a number/integer?

Reply #7303
filter by filesize works strange. For "KB" followed by "MB" then again "KB", while it should be in series (see attached pic)
Do you mean sorting? The standard sorting doesn't understand file size units (also the inconsistent number of decimal places doesn't help). Custom sorting scripts exist to handle that situation, so if you enable 'Use custom sort script' for that column and use %filesize% for it (the file size in bytes) it should work. (Also make sure you're using NG playlist if you happen to be using Columns playlist, as I don't think the latter does the natural sorting that will still be required.)
song, the answer to a similar question about sorting by filesize was earlier in this thread.

Reply #7304
If select "Dispayed track/Current item" I see only "." (see attached pic. "not Ok.jpg")
Yes, the non-playing contexts (in Item details) will be fixed in the next version. The playing contexts are a bit of a minefield (and I'm not sure what I can do about that).

Reply #7305
...The playing contexts are a bit of a minefield (and I'm not sure what I can do about that).
I believe you can fix it.
fb2k should work perfect with tracker music!
This is very important for Amiga & Chiptune modules admirer, exactly  ;)

Reply #7306
I'm having an issue with Columns UI that I have not previously encountered. I recently installed foobar on a new laptop and put in Columns UI, then when trying to use the Live Edit feature, the only visualization I get is the spectrum analyzer. I have access to the spectrogram, oscilloscope, etc through the view menu, but it brings it up in its own window and I can't seem to find a way to dock it to the UI or make those visualizations available when using the live editing feature. I have gotten those visualizations into the UI using the Default UI but I would much prefer to use Columns UI. Any help would be much appreciated.
“We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”

― H.P. Lovecraft, The Call of Cthulhu

Reply #7307
The spectrum analyser is the only visualisation that's built into Columns UI – if you had others with Columns UI before they must've been third-party components. Do you still have your old foobar2000 installation available to double-check how it was set up there?

Reply #7308
The spectrum analyser is the only visualisation that's built into Columns UI – if you had others with Columns UI before they must've been third-party components. Do you still have your old foobar2000 installation available to double-check how it was set up there?

Thank you for the reply. I do not have my old installation still. It was a few years back on my old PC. I suppose I must have been using the Default UI, but I know I had used Columns UI at some point there, I loved the way the albums and stuff had that separator between them, made the UI look a lot better. But I am most likely mistaken since this is the case. I appreciate you trying to help out on that. I might just have to sacrifice my visualizations for the vastly superior UI from Columns UI.
“We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”

― H.P. Lovecraft, The Call of Cthulhu

Reply #7310
Columns UI 1.0.0 alpha 1:  volume controls in toolbar and status pane work incorrectly.
a) they change their positions on restart
b) if I click on volume slider on one of them (but don't move it), a slider on another control changes position.

Reply #7311
Thanks, I see the problem. It will be fixed for alpha 2.

Reply #7312
Columns UI 1.0.0 alpha 1 has been released.

Read the release notes before upgrading here: https://github.com/reupen/columns_ui/releases/tag/v1.0.0-alpha.1
No more "this is a legacy preferences page..." message? :D

Never thought this day would come! Can't wait to try this out, and really excited about the work you've done on this.

Reply #7314
Columns UI 1.0.0 alpha 1:  volume controls in toolbar and status pane work incorrectly.
a) they change their positions on restart
b) if I click on volume slider on one of them (but don't move it), a slider on another control changes position.

Should be fixed in the alpha 2 just released.

Reply #7315
Thanks!

Reply #7316
Please musicmusic, you can't still be stuck on pre 1.0 foobar2000, are you? Why not update the preferences pages to new method?

Reply #7317
Are you volunteering to implement it?  ;)

I don't think a 'delayed commit model' (as Microsoft calls it) is a good fit for most of the settings.[1]

But, if you do want to work on it I would accept a PR.

Reply #7318
Hi there!

@musicmusic,
first of all, thanks for the new release of Columns UI! :)
I like how you solved the issue of displaying long text messages for the Item details panel.
Next let me comment:
1. The toolbars element "Output device" is too wide. Is it possible to reduce its minimum width, for example, like for the "DSP preset" of the toolbars ?
2. Can I let different properties for 2 separate panels "Playlist view" ? I would like to set "Show groups" for first "Playlist view" and not set it for second "Playlist view".
3. Can I let custom colors for the "Console" panel? In the "Colours" menu of the preferences Colours and fonts the "Console" element is not specified, only in fonts.
4. How to figure out where the cursor is located at playlist item before press "Play", if the items "Play followed the cursor" and "The cursor follows the playback" aren't set ?

Thanks!

Reply #7319
@musicmusic I know you can do it. 'Playlist switcher'->AutoPlaylist->2 fields: query + sorting
inspiration to you
 best regards

Reply #7320
Hi there!

@musicmusic,
first of all, thanks for the new release of Columns UI! :)
I like how you solved the issue of displaying long text messages for the Item details panel.
Next let me comment:
1. The toolbars element "Output device" is too wide. Is it possible to reduce its minimum width, for example, like for the "DSP preset" of the toolbars ?
2. Can I let different properties for 2 separate panels "Playlist view" ? I would like to set "Show groups" for first "Playlist view" and not set it for second "Playlist view".
3. Can I let custom colors for the "Console" panel? In the "Colours" menu of the preferences Colours and fonts the "Console" element is not specified, only in fonts.
4. How to figure out where the cursor is located at playlist item before press "Play", if the items "Play followed the cursor" and "The cursor follows the playback" aren't set ?

Thanks!
1. It can be reduced, but bear in mind that the text of the options in the drop-down list will be cut off even more. (The other toolbars only have a shorter minimum width because the text of the contained items is shorter.)

2. No, they all share the same settings. But there is a menu item (View/Playlist view/Show groups) to toggle whether groups are shown – you can assign it to a button or a keyboard shortcut as well. You can also use group playlist filters to make groups appear only on certain playlists.

3. No, it doesn't support colour customisation. The reason was probably that its default colours reflect the fact that it is read-only and they don't map to the standard colours.

4. Do you mean how you can see the focused item when 'Playback follows cursor' is off? You can tap Ctrl and focus the playlist. Or you can turn the option in Windows settings in the attached screenshot on. (The behaviour in Windows about when it displays focus rectangles is inconsistent, but this matches the standard list view control.)

However, the focused item won't be the track that would be played in many cases. I don't think there's a generic way for the component to find that out.

@musicmusic I know you can do it. 'Playlist switcher'->AutoPlaylist->2 fields: query + sorting
inspiration to you
 best regards
I'm not sure what the question is here. Does this reflect some functionality that exists in Default UI that doesn't in Columns UI?

You can create an Autoplaylist using Library/Search and clicking on the ... button (the resulting menu appears in the top-left corner of my screen for some reason). You can then right-click on the playlist in the playlist switcher, and select 'Autoplaylist properties' to access that dialog.

Reply #7321
1. It can be reduced, but bear in mind that the text of the options in the drop-down list will be cut off even more. (The other toolbars only have a shorter minimum width because the text of the contained items is shorter.)
In DUI, this element has a smaller minimum width and looks good (look at the pic.)
However, the focused item won't be the track that would be played in many cases. I don't think there's a generic way for the component to find that out.
Yes I do. This is exactly what I wanted to say. (look at the pic.) after start fb2k item 13 is focused, but after press "Play" item 5 is playing.
How to know that would be played item 5 ?! This behavior is similar for CUI and DUI.

Thanks!

Reply #7322
In DUI, this element has a smaller minimum width and looks good (look at the pic.)
I'll reduce the minimum width, but bear in mind that 'looks good' is subjective :) (I cannot tell the difference between the second and third entries in your screenshot, for example.) Attached is a screenshot of what mine looks like at the moment :/

Yes I do. This is exactly what I wanted to say. (look at the pic.) after start fb2k item 13 is focused, but after press "Play" item 5 is playing.
How to know that would be played item 5 ?! This behavior is similar for CUI and DUI.
Are we talking about the Default playback order specifically or all playback orders? In any case, I'm not aware of any way to reliably determine that (as a user or as a component developer). If someone else has any more information, feel free to share it.

Reply #7323
I'll reduce the minimum width, but bear in mind that 'looks good' is subjective :)...
But we will have a choice :)
In my opinion, one of the advantages of fb2k is the freedom of choice for both developers and users.
I'll choose the minimum width, you choose the bigger width, as you like. And it's great!

Are we talking about the Default playback order specifically or all playback orders? In any case, I'm not aware of any way to reliably determine that (as a user or as a component developer). If someone else has any more information, feel free to share it.
We are talking about the Default playback order.
I think it's better to always start playback of a focused item (after running fb2k and click play).

Reply #7324
But we will have a choice :)
In my opinion, one of the advantages of fb2k is the freedom of choice for both developers and users.
I'll choose the minimum width, you choose the bigger width, as you like. And it's great!
It's not that simple because it affects what happens when you resize the window. (And also what happens when you double-click on the toobar dividers ('sizing grips'), but not sure anyone does that.) So I'll reduce the minimum width probably to about half of what it is (still bigger than the Default UI's, but you're also saving some space from not having the label).

I think it's better to always start playback of a focused item (after running fb2k and click play).
We're drifting off topic now, and I don't have any control over how the playback orders work, so if you want to discuss that I'd start a new topic.