Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: So I have a .cue file and a .ape of an entire cd (Read 37679 times) previous topic - next topic

So I have a .cue file and a .ape of an entire cd

Someone on alt.binaries.sounds.lossless likes to post CDs this way.

For me this works out fine if I simply want to burn the entire CD.  I simply decompress the .ape file, and the .cue that comes along with it is designed to burn the CD and break the single huge extracted wav into the individual tracks on the CD.

But what's the best way to extract MP3's from this format?  I wouldn't want to burn the CD then rip that burned CD with EAC.. besides the fact that I think there might be an easier way, I'm afraid doing it like that would introduce some errors.

Anyone familiar with this style?

Reply #1
First you need to convert your .APE to .WAV file.
Then you must split your WAVE with WAVE splitting utility, which can use .CUE files (cuesheets) - search for something like "Wav Split", "Wave Split" etc.
Then you convert splitted .WAVs to MP3.

I'm sure there are another ways, but this is the one that I can figure out.

There is a plugin for WinAmp (mp3cue) which can show you different tracks in WinAmp when you select the whole APE (or MP3 or WAV...) using the info from the CUEsheet. Maybe if you install this plugin and set WinAmp's output to   
some MP3 encoder you can do directly APE to splitted MP3s, but I'm not sure.
You can try and then tell us what happened.

Reply #2
EAC has an option 'Split WAV by CUE sheet'
So decompress the.ape to .wav with Monkey. Then split this wav to individual wavs with EAC. Then it depends on the audio itself. If it is continuous audio (live or mix), I happen to fade in and fade out the indvidual tracks before encoding to mp3.
You could do this with any audio editor, even with the build-in wav editor in EAC.
Then encode to mp3 using your favourite frontend.

Reply #3
If you are familiar with lame, try Lame with Cuesheet Input. It is my private modification for lame-3.93.1 to handle cuesheet and ape files. You can encode directly from CDImage.wav and CDImage.cue, or CDImage.ape and CDImage.ape.cue with this binary.
I suppose that you have CDImage.ape and CDImage.ape.cue, you can encode all the tracks with tag information by (_basename is a base name for mp3 files)
Code: [Select]
lame --apeinput --preset standard CUESHEET CDImage.ape.cue _basename --tag

If you want to extract specific tracks, use option "--track".

Don't foget to put MACDLL.dll to the folder where the binary is located. Happy encoding

Reply #4
Great work, nyaochi. 

I tried to download the binaries, but I couldn't. 
Where I can get these binaries?
I can host the binaries on a free server in my country, there will be no problem, It will be a pleasure for me.

Edit: OK, I got the file, I just had to rename the link, because the link pointed to a .ZI not a .ZIP file.
Now I need only "LAME with APE input"...

Reply #5
I tried to download the binaries, but I couldn't. sad.gif
Where I can get these binaries?
I can host the binaries on a free server in my country, there will be no problem, It will be a pleasure for me.

Edit: OK, I got the file, I just had to rename the link, because the link pointed to a .ZI not a .ZIP file.
Now I need only "LAME with APE input"...

That's fine.   
Now I'm compiling "Lame with only APE input", so wait a moment please.

Edit: Done! You can get the binary from Lame with Monkey's Audio (APE) Input in the same manner. 

Reply #6
OK, thanks nyaochi.

I've downloaded the other file also. I'll upload them into my private web space this afternoon if you don't mind.
I'll post the links here.

Reply #7
I've downloaded the other file also. I'll upload them into my private web space this afternoon if you don't mind.
I'll post the links here.

Fine. I will add links to your web space. Thank you.

Reply #8
couldn't you mount the cuesheet in daemon tools and then use your favourite ripper to extract?
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #9
You beat me to it, Dreamliner!
That´s exactly what I was going to suggest!
Convert from ape to wav and then mount the image with daemon tools, then you can use EAC.
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #10
Or, for the really brave and devout WinAmp 2.x user, run APL on the CUE and import the list of APL's into WinAmp and turn on Filewriter.dll or out_lame.dll

Could be disasterous tho', who knows? But a hell of a lot less clutter.
"Something bothering you, Mister Spock?"

Reply #11
couldn't you mount the cuesheet in daemon tools and then use your favourite ripper to extract?

Well that was actually my first thought, but considering all of the functions and optimizations that EAC uses to deal with actual CD-ROM drives and not hard drive emulations there of (like C2 error correction info and whatever else) I figured it might create some problems.

I think I'll give it a shot though and compare it with some other suggestions from this thread.  Maybe all of the resulting wavs and mp3s will be identical, then it will just come down to a matter of speed and convenience.

Reply #12
Well that was actually my first thought, but considering all of the functions and optimizations that EAC uses to deal with actual CD-ROM drives and not hard drive emulations there of (like C2 error correction info and whatever else) I figured it might create some problems.

Well, AFAIK cd image emulated drivers don't need any additional corrections and optimizations when it comes to ripping. They are 100% accurate, 0 offset.. and so, because the cd is already ripped. But if somebody screwed up with ripping than even EAC won't help you with mounted image. So you can use EAC, Cdex, any other (not buggy) ripper  safely.
--
pozdr.
yq

Reply #13
I'm using EAC at the moment, anyone know which one of these gap handling options is most like the way EAC handles gaps when you rip wavs from a CD?

Reply #14
I'm using EAC at the moment, anyone know which one of these gap handling options is most like the way EAC handles gaps when you rip wavs from a CD?

Can anyone answers Fender's question?  I'm curious just the same as to which type of gap setting should be used when using EAC to split wav by cue sheet.

Reply #15
Choose 'with gaps'.

That way you get the same result as you would rip the cd as seperate tracks (like any other ripper and eac's default setting).

Reply #16
Hey nyaochi

How do you use id3v2 tags with your super lame (which I love by the way)?  Your --add-id3v2 option does not work with the compile I got from http://rarewares.hydrogenaudio.org/mp3.php.

Reply #17
Hey nyaochi

How do you use id3v2 tags with your super lame (which I love by the way)?  Your --add-id3v2 option does not work with the compile I got from http://rarewares.hydrogenaudio.org/mp3.php.

--add-id3v2 option is not mine but LAME's. Just put '--add-id3v2' in LAME command line and don't forget to put '--tag' option in cuesheet command line. Complete command line should be something like:
lameAPE --add-id3v2 --alt-preset standard CUESHEET CDImage.cue _basename --tag

Reply #18
I want to take this thread to notify an important update of  cuesheet modification. Today I fixed a serious problem concerning track length and LAME VBR tag and released cuesheet modification version 0.5.3. I strongly suggest that you discard the older versions. I am embarrassed by the discovery that I stepped on a land mine of LAME .

Older versions do not seem to output last a few frames and to generate proper LAME VBR tag information of each track in non-gapless mode (i.e., without --gapless option) because we fail to clear padding or encoder delay information stored in libmp3lame. I should have clear or reinitialize gfc->mf_samples_to_encode every time the encoder finished one track.

If you do not care about gapless playback, the problem does not matter because the last few frames contains only silence inserted necessarily by LAME. However, if you do care about gapless playback, please use this version. Sorry for the trouble.

Thanks,
Nyaochi

Reply #19
FooBar's diskwriter can extract individual tracks from a cuesheet and file.  Case's clienc plugin can even convert the tracks to .mp3 for you.  In fact, FooBar can tag and replaygain the files, too.

One tool can do it all.

Reply #20
Why don't you just use Monkey's Audio or foobar2000 for this job?

Monkey's Audio

1. Run MakeAPL to create the .apl files from the .ape+.cue (be sure to have the correct .ape filename and extension in the .cue file).

2. Monkey's Audio --> menu Mode --> click Compress;

3. Monkey's Audio --> menu Mode --> Compression Level --> External --> Lame --> click Lame;

4. Monkey's Audio --> menu Mode --> Compression Level --> External --> Lame --> configure;

In this windows you'll have the following string, IIRC: "--r3mix -b128". Use Lame 3.90.3 (don't forget to copy the file lame.exe to the External folder of Monkey's Audio) and replace the previous string with this one:"--alt-preset standard" (without the quotations marks).

5. Monkey's Audio --> menu Mode --> Convert; You have to do this or the next step won't function.

6. Drag the folder with the .apl files to Monkey's Audio or use the File menu entries "Add File(s)..." or "Add Folder..."  (from what I remember you have to drag the folder containing the .apl files 'cause it doesn't work if you drag the .apl files)

This procedure is also valid if you choose any other CLI encoder.

foobar2000

An alternative way to do what you want is to use foobar2000 player. You must also have the lame encoder and the CLI encoder plugin (which must be extracted to foobar2000's folder).

Start foobar2000 and open its preferences window. Look for the DiskWriter config in the Components section and you can choose the output directory. Normally you have to make sure that "Use DSP" and "Use replaygain" options are disabled and that you have the Output format set to "CLI encoder".

Then you must go to the "CLI encoder" (subsection of Diskwriter) and indicate the location of lame.exe and put "mp3" for the extension. In the parameters edit box you put this string: "--alt-preset standard - %d" (without the quotations marks). Close the preferences window and load the .cue file (make sure that the .cue file has the correct .ape filename in it) dragging it to foobar2000's window. Then select all tracks you want to convert to mp3, right click them, choose Convert --> Run conversion.

Regarding the tags: I think it's possible to make tagging automatic in both methods, though I don't know how, 'cause I always set the tags afer.

That's it...

Reply #21
Hey, everybody! 

Hope I'm not just repeating something already said, but I just figured this out today.
First I downloaded this package:
LAME 3.90.3 Modified and with APE & Cuesheet support
Then I dropped lameAPE.exe into %path% (C:\WINNT\system32 on my system). MACDll.dll must be present at the same location, but if you have Monkey's Audio installed it's there already. Then i wrote the following batch file and saved it down as ape+cue=mp3.bat:
@echo off
lameAPE --apeinput --alt-preset standard --verbose CUESHEET "G:\Album ripp\CDImage.ape.cue" "G:\Album ripp\$p - $T - $n - $t.mp3" --naming-rule --tag --same-folder
pause
exit

Ofcourse the batch-file must be modified to fit with path and filname each time, but it works just fine and it's not all that much hassle.  B)

What I'm wondering about is whether it's actually necessary to decompress the ape file first and then burn when you want to make an audio cd from your ape+cue. Isn't there an easier pipeline here. Nero with the ape plugin, maybe? Does Feurio take ape input? Anybody have an idea?

Edit:
Slightly more elegant version:
@echo off
echo From single ape-file with cuesheet to multiple mp3's
pause
lameAPE --apeinput --alt-preset standard --verbose CUESHEET "G:\Album ripp\CDImage.ape.cue" "G:\Album ripp\MP3 Output\$p - $T - $n - $t.mp3" --naming-rule --tag --same-folder
echo All done!
pause
exit

Advantages by using this setup:
LAME 3.90.3 Modified and with APE & Cuesheet support 2003-07-20
lame.exe only (--alt-preset standard & extreme with -Z option) (Nyaochi's patch 0.5.3) includes MACDll.dll for APE file input & CUESHEET support modified to allow use of --preset as well as --alt-preset, also includes MEDIUM and FAST MEDIUM presets - ICL4.5 compile using Dibrom's switches

+ batchfile compared to method with Monkey's Audio as frontend I think is:
1) Direct pipeline, no temporary *.wav files created on harddisk.
2) Cuesheet input - no messing with *.apl files.

For some reason I had to use $ switch for namingrule ( $p not %p), % switch made the setup not work..... dunno why....?

Otherwise, if you don't like batch-files, then foobar2000 is probably the best GUI for doing this.

--------------------------------------------

EDIT ONCE MORE AGAIN:

Even better batch file:
@echo off
echo from single ape-file with cuesheet to multiple mp3's
SET /p cuesheet=please input cuesheet name - with extension(s):
lameAPE --apeinput --alt-preset standard CUESHEET "C:\Albumrip\%cuesheet%" "C:\MP3Out\$p - $T - $n - $t.mp3" --naming-rule --tag --same-folder
echo all done!
pause
exit

Now you have to rename the apemodified lame.exe to lameAPE.exe since they changed that at Rarewares.org. Also you must still edit the paths to fit with yours, but you just copy and paste cuesheet name at promt.

You can also replace the obsolete MACDLL.dll with the latest found here and it works just fine.

Also the great piece of sofware Burrrn have come to my attention since I first posted this (my first) post. It will make a cd directly from ape + cue (and all kinds of other formats too... check it out!)
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Reply #22
Ehh... sorry,
was a bit in a hurry, went back and read some earlier posts, seems all of this was said long time ago..... ok, sorry.... 
Edit:
.............and still I went back and edited it.... hmmmmmm........

And, yes: I tried burning CD directly from ape+cue with Nero 6.0.0.11 with Mausau's ape-plugin http://neroplugins.cd-rw.org/files/nxmyape.zip

Seems to work perfectly...... 

Now I'll shut up.
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Reply #23

And, yes: I tried burning CD directly from ape+cue with Nero 6.0.0.11 with Mausau's ape-plugin http://neroplugins.cd-rw.org/files/nxmyape.zip

Seems to work perfectly......

I agree, works just rite

Reply #24
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread   

Ofcourse the batch-file must be modified to fit with path and filname each time, but it works just fine and it's not all that much hassle.  B) [a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=131122"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Maybe you're not using this .bat anymore, but you know that you can use %1 %2 %3 ... %n to represent commandline parameters in a batch file? so instead of having to edit your file every time, you could use this instead:
@echo off
lameAPE --apeinput --alt-preset standard --verbose CUESHEET "%1" "%2\$p - $T - $n - $t.mp3" --naming-rule --tag --same-folder
pause
exit

and on the commandline, use
C:\> ape+cue=mp3.bat %cuefile% %targetdir%