Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: AK70 MkII - Real World Improvement? (Read 2369 times) previous topic - next topic

AK70 MkII - Real World Improvement?

I own the original AK70. It's wonderful. I'm not especially discerning, but I know the quality is great listening to many 320 both mp3 and AAC, and a whole bunch of lower bit rates of somewhat suspicious quality, using B&W P5 Mark II, HD600, and even H5 and Bose A2E. And I am usually listening not in a noisy environment, but also not a perfectly quiet one. I listen mostly to old Top 40.

So, my question. Given how my variables resolve, would I likely notice the increased quality of the Mark II version?

(P.S. - And should I be using a portable amp with the HD600?)

Thanks.

Re: AK70 MkII - Real World Improvement?

Reply #1
The main things to look at are:
- do your headphones get loud enough?
- is there an audible noise floor? (this can be a problem with sensitive in-ear headphones)
- is there a high output impedance? (which can mess up the headphone frequency response)

The AK70 specs say it has a 2 ohm output impedance. That should be fine with 16 ohm (and up) headphones.
Aside from that, if the max volume and noise floor are satisfactory for you, I don't think there will be anything to improve on.

(P.S. - And should I be using a portable amp with the HD600?)
The only reason to is if they don't get loud enough. I use mine out of a macbook pro and it's just loud enough for me (I put the volume at 100% volume very rarely, for quiet / classical music).

Re: AK70 MkII - Real World Improvement?

Reply #2
I thought that getting loud enough was not the way these things are analyzed.

It might be loud enough, but if the amp of a unit is being driven to its max, then perhaps some distortion is creeping in.