Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Mp3 Decoders (Read 5389 times) previous topic - next topic

Mp3 Decoders

I just stubled upon a post on computerbase.de in which a forum user claims the MP3 decoders are just good for mp3s encoded with the corresponding encoder e.g. lame for lame encoded files or fraunhofer for fraunhofer encoded files. If you mix them it's bad. Is this true or are all mp3 decoders decoding the bitstream exactly the same?

Mp3 Decoders

Reply #1
MP3 is a standard. A compliant decoder shouldn't advantage any specific encoded file (lame-lame, fhg-fhg, etc...). A good decoder (i.e. with advanced dithering and noise shaping) would be good for all MP3 files, whatever the original encoder name.
Moreover, there are so many Fhg encoders and decoders that an ideal combination would be hard to find. I guess this person is inventing stories about audio compression (such as joint stereo spoil stereo image, VBR is making quality variable, ISO decoders have a better tonal purity, etc...). If doubts, ask for ABX results.

EDIT: LAME - LAME is nevertheless good to prevent encoder&decoder offset.
Bitstream aren't necessary the same between two decoders, but difference should only concern LSB (excepted rare case, like old and famous Nitrate decoder maybe).
Wavpack Hybrid: one encoder for all scenarios
WavPack -c4.5hx6 (44100Hz & 48000Hz) ≈ 390 kbps + correction file
WavPack -c4hx6 (96000Hz) ≈ 768 kbps + correction file
WavPack -h (SACD & DSD) ≈ 2400 kbps at 2.8224 MHz

Mp3 Decoders

Reply #2
MP3 is a standard. A compliant decoder shouldn't advantage any specific encoded file (lame-lame, fhg-fhg, etc...). A good decoder (i.e. with advanced dithering and noise shaping) would be good for all MP3 files, whatever the original encoder name.
Moreover, there are so many Fhg encoders and decoders that an ideal combination would be hard to find. I guess this person is inventing stories about audio compression (such as joint stereo spoil stereo image, VBR is making quality variable, ISO decoders have a better tonal purity, etc...). If doubts, ask for ABX results.

EDIT: LAME - LAME is nevertheless good to prevent encoder&decoder offset.
Bitstream aren't necessary the same between two decoders, but difference should only concern LSB (excepted rare case, like old and famous Nitrate decoder maybe).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=378176"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Would be nice if you could go a bit into detail here as I want to be the winner on the argumentation side

Mp3 Decoders

Reply #3
Does it mean that he have arguments to defend his idea?

Mp3 Decoders

Reply #4
Does it mean that he have arguments to defend his idea?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=378180"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

no, thats not the problem  But I don't want anyone there to believe him.

Mp3 Decoders

Reply #5
Then ask him to defend his idea. Tell him that decoders don't embedd post-processing filters which could lower th audibility of artefact produced by a typical encoder.

Or use the same kind of plausible fantasie with exaggeration to show people how theorys could quickly be invented:
A MP3 sound better if you can play it on the same computer used for the encoder.
Always use the same OS for encoding and for decoding.
A MP3 sound better if you play it on the same hygrometric conditions than those encountered during the encoding stage. Subtle variation in humidity are changing the sound quality.
Always defragment your MP3 to avoid subtle lack in harmonics.

Mp3 Decoders

Reply #6
I just stubled upon a post on computerbase.de in which a forum user claims the MP3 decoders are just good for mp3s encoded with the corresponding encoder e.g. lame for lame encoded files or fraunhofer for fraunhofer encoded files. If you mix them it's bad. Is this true or are all mp3 decoders decoding the bitstream exactly the same?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=378174"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, you can't prove that something like that does not exist. A believer of some "MP3 conspiracy theory" could always claim that there exists a certain version of a decoder that applies some "magical post-processing" to mp3 files that were encoded using the encoder made by the "evil empire". 

Mp3 Decoders

Reply #7
Or use the same kind of plausible fantasie with exaggeration to show people how theorys could quickly be invented
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=378186"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

LMAO, thanks for giving me the first laugh of the day.
...and of course if the mp3 was encoded on a rainy day, it should logically be decoded on a rainy day as well.