Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar2000 audio player info (Read 95900 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar2000 audio player info

Reply #50
I missed my alt+3 shortcut for editing tags.  Is that possible to edit tags and add that short cut key?

IIRC, there will be no tag editing in foobar.  It's pretty much an audio player and that's it.  I don't think Peter really sees much point in adding stuff to foobar which can and should be done better with other dedicated programs (tag + frontend).  Can't say I disagree with that approach either.

Of course, I could be wrong... but if you don't get an answer, now you know why

Yes, I know it is a lean mean player!  But I dont think this feature is too out of hand.  I mean, if I am playing a song, then I found out it was tagged wrong, I would just like to edit it out right away, it will be a hassle to open up winamp or whatever, and find that one particular song and edit.

Reply #51
foobar2000 is about functionality

Heheh!  I haven't found that yet

I can't play MAC

I can't play MP4

I can barely play an MP3 - I try skipping forewards in the track (no "high quality" sounding x-fader, just juddery sound) and I get "MPGLIB IST DEATH"

& I'm sure a simple toolbar with icons for play, stop, pause, skip forewards & backwards isn't going to ruin your crusade for l33tness.  Make the player for DOS if you want to be that hardco'
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >

Reply #52
I've used it since internal alpha v0.15 and it works like a charm! It's been my default player for awhile now, and at currect v0.24a beta there just isn't much to complain about; though I have to agree .cue support would be really nice. 

Reply #53
about alt+3 for infobox - i think i'll be adding fully customizable shortcuts at some point.
i'm really not sure which way to go about tag editing, most of serious people out there use external taggers anyway, they do better job.
about "mpglib ist death" error - mpglib bad data safety is SNAFU, VBR seeking is probably still as stable as hell, i need to work on it more (got some ideas how to improve it already).
monkeyaudio support request - noted.
MP4/AAC support request - been on my todo list for a while, i just don't use that stuff myself and have more important things to fix.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #54
btw: I couln't reproduce the "sort very large filelist and hang" bug (with version 0.23b and 0.24a).

A back button would be nice

How is shuffle implemented? Straight forward random or similar to Winamp's strange version of shuffle?

Reply #55
too bad this doesnt support win9x.

i know that a non-cpu-intensive player like this is better off on old machines too, and most of these old machines use win9x.

or some paranoidic people like me

Reply #56
too bad this doesnt support win9x.

i know that a non-cpu-intensive player like this is better off on old machines too, and most of these old machines use win9x.

You took the words right out of my mouth (AMD 5x86/133 MHz, 32 MB RAM, Win95b), but with AAC/MP4 support, please...

By the way, mp3PRO support and aacPlus in the near future would also be great for the same reasons, as those formats need even more CPU ressources than Vorbis, AAC and WMA. As far as I know, the Gracenote offer (free SDK for a mp3PRO decoder) is still available.

And if the only reason for not supporting Win9x is UTF-8, I wouldn't mind if it couldn't read file names or tags that use other characters than standard ASCII, because I could always change those files and tags before playing.
ZZee ya, Hans-Jürgen
BLUEZZ BASTARDZZ - "That lil' ol' ZZ Top cover band from Hamburg..."
INDIGO ROCKS - "Down home rockin' blues. Tasty as strudel."

Reply #57
Hi Peter, good work

Could you please add the possibility of saving the window size and position?

Reply #58
Haven't read the whole topic, but I think you could take an example from Apollo concerning the playlist. I'd like the option to handle a folder on the HD as a folder in the playlist too...

Apollo: http://www.hut.fi/~hylinen/apollo/

[edit]
I saw someone else has suggested this kind of folder handling already.

Furthermore I like it a lot

What should I setup for my Audigy 1 soundcard? 16bit 48000Hz Fast Mode???

Reply #59
Found bug with vorbiscommented FLACs (UTF-8):

If a FLAC file is vorbiscommented like this:
artist=Die Ärzte

bf2k only shows "Die" as artist.

FLAC Winamp plugin shows artist correctly.

Reply #60
Whoa! Super cool tool!
zZzZzZzZ: lots of huggies! I'm dancing!

Go on like that!
sic transit gloria mundi...

Reply #61
posted v0.25, adds monkeyaudio and various other stuff people asked for, more coming soon.
about FLAC and UTF-8 - as far as i can tell, it's working correctly on my end; apparently it's broken in FLAC winamp plugin. touch shit.

Reply #62
Oh, one thing: could you put the keyboard shortcuts one key to the right or so, i.e. xcvb? because using the z on german keyboard is annoying because it's not in a line with the others.... 
sic transit gloria mundi...

Reply #63
customizable keyboard shortcuts are on the todo list.

Reply #64
posted v0.25, adds monkeyaudio and various other stuff people asked for, more coming soon.
about FLAC and UTF-8 - as far as i can tell, it's working correctly on my end; apparently it's broken in FLAC winamp plugin. touch shit.

It seems you are right. The FLAC files I have are not commented in UTF-8, but in ISO8859-1.

Reply #65
Awesome sound quality ...espacially with MP3....
Really good !

Reply #66
which player did u use before ?

Reply #67
zZzZzZzZ: lots of huggies! I'm dancing!

I'm laughing ...  (imagining someone trying out fb2k, getting super impressed, starting to dance with funny looking facial expressions )

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']Ahm, also wanted to say WOAH this is a popular topic, always many members reading it [/span]

Oh and i don't quite understand the comments about -outstanding- sound quality...

Reply #68
Cool, I can open it minimized now. Sweeeeet...
Good job PP.

Reply #69
SK1: i dont understand people talking about "audio quality differences" between players either (*cough* 3dsoundsurge). i guess all the talk about 32bit DSP pipeline gives them a good piece of placebo.

Reply #70
Better than MAD Winamp plugin in terms of quality !

Reply #71
SK1: i dont understand people talking about "audio quality differences" between players either (*cough* 3dsoundsurge). i guess all the talk about 32bit DSP pipeline gives them a good piece of placebo.

Hum...this way to decode MP3 gives really something better but I can't tell why...
the sound seems to be more open, less narrow, trust me or not....

Reply #72
Author: zZzZzZz

Download: http://www.saunalahti.fi/~cse/foobar2000/index.html

foobar2000 feature list: (notice: player features constantly updating)

• supported format: MP3, Ogg Vorbis, MPC, FLAC, Ogg FLAC, WAV, MOD (needs foo_mod.dll), SPC (needs foo_spc.dll)

• 32bit floatingpoint audio processing pipeline, with 6dB hard limiter and conversion to 16/24bit (dithered) at the end.

• lossy formats (MP3, Vorbis, MPC) are decoded directly to 32bit FP so there's no clipping

• transparent rar/zip reading (slow)

• full unicode support, new playlist format (m3u8) storing international filenames properly (using UTF-8)

• runs *only* on win2k/winxp or newer

• builtin SSRC resampler component (DSP)

You forgot one more feature:

Only 382kB
185kB when UPXed

Mem Usage ~1.6MB when minimized to sys tray (compare this to WMP which does 9+MB even when not doing anything)

Reply #73
May be I'm dumb but it seems this player doesn't support MP2 files :-(

Will it support such a file type ?
ThnX

Reply #74
Surely to prove the player has better sound quality from it's 32 bit DSP, you'd have to ABX it to stand a chance of sounding credible?
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >