Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: $50 Headphones like Sennheiser HD497 (Read 7911 times) previous topic - next topic

$50 Headphones like Sennheiser HD497

Hi Guys,

I am looking for some Sennheiser HD497's but the only site I found is asking $14 for shipping :[.

So I've been doing my research, but I can't really decide on a similar headphone to buy.
I am looking for:
-affordable headphones ~$50
-I want them to be light like the HD497s
-open air
-fake leather ear covering instead of the foam (cuz it stays cooler)
-and something thatll fully cover my ears
-not too much bass. That exaggerated bass bothers me.

I was hoping for some suggestions. Thanks a lot guys!

Reply #1
what do u guys think about these Sony Studio Monitor MDRV500DJ

Reply #2
The Sony headphones i tried were mediocre. I would look at some other Sennheiser or AKG models.

Reply #3
Sennheiser HD201's are fantastic sounding headphones for the money. For $50 you could buy two pairs!
Dan

Reply #4
for that price point i don't have a recommendation other than stay way from the sony DJ's.  your point about exaggerated bass is what these cans do in spades.  complete rubbish.

Reply #5
Wanna buy mines for next to nothing?

The cord for it went dead on the right side and it costs $30 or so for the replacement....

I have better headphones now, but it does feel like a waste.....if anybody knows a cheaper replacement sennheiser cable for it, let me know.

Reply #6
Wanna buy mines for next to nothing?

The cord for it went dead on the right side and it costs $30 or so for the replacement....

I have better headphones now, but it does feel like a waste.....if anybody knows a cheaper replacement sennheiser cable for it, let me know.

Sorry for bumping this old thread; I am also looking for a cheaper replacement cable for my HD497 headphones.

Reply #7
edit: old thread, forget it

Reply #8
I am also looking for a cheaper replacement cable for my HD497 headphones.

DIY-solution: cheap copper cable, preferably flexible, one plug of your choice and we have a replacement cable.
Hevay is The Way!

Reply #9
I am also looking for a cheaper replacement cable for my HD497 headphones.

DIY-solution: cheap copper cable, preferably flexible, one plug of your choice and we have a replacement cable.

I have never soldered anything before. Won't this require soldering? Also, what do you mean 'one plug of your choice'? Thanks!

Reply #10
what do u guys think about these Sony Studio Monitor MDRV500DJ

Right now several retailers are direct mailing MDR V900s direct from China at amazing prices that are in the range you are talking.  These are an amazing value, and vastly outperform the cheaper models in Sony's  catalog.  My second pair showed up yesterday and I am even more delighted with them than my first pair.

Reply #11
Won't this require soldering? Also, what do you mean 'one plug of your choice'?

There are some plugs which allow crimp-style connections, although I have never personally found them in stores in my area. If the plug used is the usual bulk material, such as radio shack or nobrand-plugs, some soldering is needed. It is not very complicated but if you have never soldered anything it might be difficult at first.
The plug of your choice means that you can have Tip-Ring-Sleeve-stereo plugs (with diameter of 1/8" or 1/4"), or you can put something else you need.

Replacement cables were the first things I soldered together for real use, so for learning they are rather good option to start with. Plug + cable can cost anything from couple of bucks to no upper limit.
Hevay is The Way!

Reply #12
I have never soldered anything before. Won't this require soldering?
  Yeah...  Solderless (audio style) connectors are rare.    And, I assume the cable has a special connector?  If it's got standard connectors, you can get a replacement cable "anywhere" for a reasonable price.

I wouldn't recommend learning to solder unless it's something you want to learn.  If you do want to learn, a soldering iron & solder is going to cost you about $12 USD at Radio Shack*.  (You'd also need a wire cutter/stripper.)  Then, you can probably find some instructions/lessions on the Net (maybe there's a YouTube instructional video), and you'd need to do a little study/research to get the connections right.  I would guess that it might take someone about half a day to teach themselves to solder and built their 1st cable.  With hands-on personal instruction, you could learn in an hour...  But, if you know somone who can teach you, you already know someone who has the tools and who can build the cable for you, and this wouldn't be an issue...

When you build/solder your own cables, you don't get the nice looking molded-on connectors.  (But, you can use high-quality metal connectors, and heavy duty cable if you wish.)

* The Weller "soldering station" I use a work cost about $300, but the "soldering pistol" I use at home cost me about $5, and it's been perfectly adequate for many years of occasional light-duty "electronic" use.