Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Best lossless ripping for Mac (Read 35506 times) previous topic - next topic

Best lossless ripping for Mac

Reply #25
Thank you all again for your input

Best lossless ripping for Mac

Reply #26
I use Sbooth's Max on my Mac. For some reason Rip seems to no longer work in Lion. I do have CDs ripped using Max and EAC (in VirtualBox) that still have glitches. The curse of having a good quality DAC is that it will reveal every single wart in the transfer process. The choice of drive makes a huge difference, and Apple's stock drives are probably not optimal.

As for lossless formats, the music payload data itself will be converted bit for bit, but the data model for metadata is different between formats, and you could experience loss in translation for audio tags. Whether this matters to you depends on how OCD you are about consistency. The iTunes data model used by ALAC is not ideal for Classical Music, for instance, although it can be made to work. More precisely, the problem is with iPods, iPhones, iPads, AppleTVs and the Remote app, whose user interface is clearly not designed for classical music, iTunes itself works just fine. Some people advocate storing the artist name in Composer and vice versa to work around the UI bugs in iDevices, but I just can't bring myself to violate the data model (that whole OCD thing).