Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Why stupid skin when a background img is enough ? (Read 5321 times) previous topic - next topic

Why stupid skin when a background img is enough ?

Hello,

The proposition is an option who propose to load a background picture in many position :

- tiled
- center
- align on bottom-right border
- align on top-right border
- align on bottom-left border
- align on top-left border

So, you can imagine all way with it => Create background picture with colums color who follow the colums of your playlist, You can forget all crazy combinaisons of code (ALT + ...) to have pretty character => you can directly put on your picture ...

This proposition need evidently screenshots so ... (maybe problem of lycos today ...)

. I think it's a good alternative for those who want skin ... and by this way, you have an unlimited choice to customize you favorite player .

Reply #1
I didn't think I would like this option, until I saw those pics.  Those are some sexy looking playlists you've got there

Seriously though might be a nice idea, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it.

Reply #2
Sorry for my bad english : It's just a theoric proposition for zZzzzZZz... I can't make that 

Reply #3
hmmm, interesting, i sorta like. Well it wouldnt be a bad option to have i spose 

Reply #5
Wouldn't the columns get messed up if you resized the window ?
Master of Fate. By Fate Mastered

Reply #6
Ok thats stupid... It reminds me of some desktop backgrounds and many winamp skins. They try to use it as a kind of image viewer, which really sucks, as in the case of desktops, you have icons obstructing the view, in the case of winamp, you have the buttons obstructing the view (or the pic obstructing the buttons, which is worse) and in foobar, it would mean you have a text list obstructing also the view.

So if you forget the idea to use it as a cheap girlie viewer (use a REAL pic viewer) i may see some sense. Example, tiled marble, or something that you are not supposed to "admire" completely without obstructions.

But, how about simply adding some columns instead? Something like a spreadsheet, or a web table? Then we could change background / foreground colors on different colums, and maybe even have bold headers or such.
She is waiting in the air

Reply #7
It's just an option for those who want ...  If you don't like it, you're not obliged to use it. It's the great ideology of liberty of a check-box .

I think that it's the good way for all person who want add a certain design for foobar without desonstruct nothing in the code, integrity and processing speed. It's a good way to encourage some person who hate the "notepad-design" of foobar to employ it ... All skin of Winamp show that most people like to have a certain design, a wish of non-conformity ...

=> I'ts the proposition of a check-box, non a obligation ...

Reply #8
this "skins" are great idea

Reply #9
Long time foobar user here (since 0.3x), first time poster.

I just wanted to say I fully support this suggestion. The screenshots alone completely sold me. I love how foobar looks and was never into skins when I used Winamp before, but this idea is a really good one. Thats all.

Reply #10
I don't care about the background thing, but what I'd like is true resizable columns with artist, album, track name, length etc.
the title formatting strings are fun, but not very handy.

Reply #11
But, how about simply adding some columns instead? Something like a spreadsheet, or a web table? Then we could change background / foreground colors on different colums, and maybe even have bold headers or such.

Had similar mad idea: built-in html rendering engine -> alternative layouts css's, resizing columns, dynamic content, floating divs, blablabla...
That would be futuristic (...well, excessive as well).
Anyone to cross phoenix and fb2k?

Reply #12
i actually like the idea of a built in html processor with CSS support and tables maybe and such... it'd be pretty damn cool... maybe a tagz/html hybrid?

anyways in lieu of that, i also support the background image idea... it'd give at least a little more life to foobar2000.

Reply #13
i actually like the idea of a built in html processor with CSS support and tables maybe and such... it'd be pretty damn cool... maybe a tagz/html hybrid?

It'd be cool, but it'd also be a pain in the ass to implement and keep bug free, and implementing a proper rendering system would bloat the size of the player by orders of magnitudes.  Resource usage would increase significantly also.

I'd like to have that sort of flexibility, but I don't think it'd be realistic to implement it.

Reply #14
i actually like the idea of a built in html processor with CSS support and tables maybe and such...

my personal opinion to this is YUK YUK YUK! :x
background images would be nice but
just my opinion though....

Reply #15
just happened to run across this thread.  I too would like the ability to add a simple (tiled or non titled) background image

Reply #16
I too don't care about the background image idea so I would deselect the tickbox. I would however like to see a spreadsheet type implementation as the connotations for the mass tagger sorting and general organised layout would be good. Coloured columns and gridlines might be a bonus although completely optional of course. That suggestion sounds very good. Sorry defsiam.
superdumprob

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?" - Albert Einstein