Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: which are your favorite VST audio editor pluings? (Read 4049 times) previous topic - next topic

which are your favorite VST audio editor pluings?

Hi

may I ask which are your favorite Vst audio editor plugins?

for general purpose, restoration , equalize , amplify and make louder without clipping your tracks

in short which are your favorite vst plugins you have used with your audio editor

i used the trial version  iZotope RX2 , expensive but impressive , the results are amazing

thanks
greetings

Reply #1
I don't do masses of VST plugin-based editing, and I've only used fb2k and Audacity to accomplish it. Most of my editing is for live music backing with full dynamic range.

I can give the thumbs up to ToneBoosters' Compressor.

My main recollection is in a fb2k batch job to level out some quiet and varied background music before encoding to MP3 while retaining much of the transient kick, using the plugin in fb2k Converter. In total I've processed over 30 hours of music that way (probably 40 including Christmas tracks) and listened to it all many times over, usually as quiet background, occasionally very loud.

Originally, I used RG Album Gain -> foo_dsp_vlevel -> Advanced Limiter save as FLAC, rescan RG and Apply Track Gain to 84.5 dB target (-4.5 dB preamp) in the Converter (MP3 either LAME or Helix VBR around 130kbps average as my player isn't gapless).  I found that vlevel would sometimes get perceptually quite different loudness so I used ReplayGain after the vlevel to compensate afterwards - e.g. Robbie William's Millennium came out much louder than most tracks, probably 5 or 6 dB from vlevel - and vlevel occasionally dipped quite noticeably in an intro preceding a sharp increase in volume, e.g. during the solo guitar intro to Since You Been Gone by Rainbow depending partly on the look-ahead setting.

I haven't done quite so many tracks with it, but I found the ToneBoosters' TB Compressor in their demo toolkit did a good job and gave a decent visual impression of where the compression kicked in and cut out as I played music through it. I tried it and set it up with some material with a wide range of loudness. What springs to mind is Aretha Franklin's cover of Tracks Of My Tears which is beautiful and could have been written for her; it starts very quietly with just a guitar & soft voice and ends up at in full voice and band and would otherwise be lost for the first verse or two when played as background music, so this was a good test for my settings, which differed from the default. As for loudness variations based on a ReplayGain scan of the output at the FLAC stage, there were fewer statistical outliers than with vlevel - e.g. Millennium fell into line.

Both TB Compressor and foo_dsp_vlevel work nicely on the whole, but I'm tempted to use TB Compressor first in future. Intermixing the two (after Track Gain to 84.5 dB SPL) didn't leave a noticeable difference in acoustic signature and I've not yet noticed any pumping artifacts in the way I've used TB Compressor (albeit on noise-free material with nothing noiselike like brushed snares)

I threw together some nice sounding 15-hour compilations of alternating Christmas Track (TB Compressor) then Regular Track (foo_dsp_vlevel mostly) with a variety of eras & styles represented, especially in the Christmas material, and it all came out nice-sounding and consistent)

When I got TB Compressor I was thinking I might want to use TB Barricade (a sort of radio pre-processor with supposedly some sort of psychoacoustic awareness of loudness perception) but found just what I needed in the Compressor.

I have to give thanks to Peter for fb2k and David for ReplayGain which made the task immeasurably easier than I'd have imagined without them and various others who contributed plugins and tuned LAME and Helix MP3 etc.

(I have also used TB Compressor in fb2k to make music just plain louder on limited equipment in the past, but now I usually just switch on Windows 7's Playback Device/Properties/Enhancements/Loudness Equalization if I need that, especially for very quiet Youtube videos playing over laptop speakers, which fb2k's plugins cannot modify).

It's just a shame that dynamic compression is so hard to get to when I need it in Windows. I'd love to be able to enable it quickly from the Windows volume control or Mixer at times, rather like the >100% up to 200% volume control in VLC Media Player, which is also usefully amber/red colour-coded to indicate the potential for distortion. I'd also be glad to have to enable it with a tick box next to the master volume and/or any of the application volume sliders, and like the switch from optical zoom to digital zoom on a camera, have the volume reach the linear limit first, then proceed into the compressed region with a second press of the volume button or slide of the finger/mouse. In fact, for Youtube, I wouldn't mind being able to volume-level it at lower volume too.
Dynamic – the artist formerly known as DickD

Reply #2
I don't do masses of VST plugin-based editing, and I've only used fb2k and Audacity to accomplish it. Most of my editing is for live music backing with full dynamic range.

I can give the thumbs up to ToneBoosters' Compressor.

i agree with you i don't like have a masses of Vst plugins
i have  never tried toneboosters's compressor

by the way foo_dsp_vlevel v20080302.0 i guess it's the last version
my chain is
resampler (sox)
skip silence

is you chain only foo_dsp_vlevel -> Advanced Limiter ?

thanks

greetings

Reply #3
my chain is
resampler (sox)
skip silence

Yes, although I haven't tried it for a year or two, I think foo_dsp_vlevel is now incompatible with current fb2k releases (old versions of fb2k are still excellent with the same floating point pipeline), which is why I went back to try out ToneBoosters, which I'd been meaning to try a few years before.

I think vlevel probably contains its own limiter, but I use Advanced Limiter too as it never distorts signals that stay within the -1 to +1 range.

Regarding dynamics compressors and fb2k, mudlord's foo_dsp_effect includes one made by Garf (ported from his fb2k 0.8.3 version). It also includes loads of filters (general, parametric EQ and presets incl RIAA and de-emphasis), plus echo, reverb, wahwah, phaser, and also pitch and tempo shifters (use soundtouch and similar pitch/tempo shifters with caution - it's practically impossible to prevent artifacts like warbling in all circumstances - unless you change both pitch and tempo by the same amount, which is playback rate shifting, also available). I haven't really played with its dynamics compressor much, so it's also worth a try (albeit only in fb2k, not via VST)
Dynamic – the artist formerly known as DickD

Reply #4
my chain is
resampler (sox)
skip silence

Yes, although I haven't tried it for a year or two, I think foo_dsp_vlevel is now incompatible with current fb2k releases (old versions of fb2k are still excellent with the same floating point pipeline), which is why I went back to try out ToneBoosters, which I'd been meaning to try a few years before.

I think vlevel probably contains its own limiter, but I use Advanced Limiter too as it never distorts signals that stay within the -1 to +1 range.

Regarding dynamics compressors and fb2k, mudlord's foo_dsp_effect includes one made by Garf (ported from his fb2k 0.8.3 version). It also includes loads of filters (general, parametric EQ and presets incl RIAA and de-emphasis), plus echo, reverb, wahwah, phaser, and also pitch and tempo shifters (use soundtouch and similar pitch/tempo shifters with caution - it's practically impossible to prevent artifacts like warbling in all circumstances - unless you change both pitch and tempo by the same amount, which is playback rate shifting, also available). I haven't really played with its dynamics compressor much, so it's also worth a try (albeit only in fb2k, not via VST)

hi

i tried  the trial version of ToneBoosters' Compressor and it's amazing
but i have to process many many records
but is there a way to let the plugin analize and automatically boost the songs to make them all loud  or anoter vst for that records?
i know it's much better a manual and scrupulous editing

but i got around 150 records to process so..

thanks