Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Unintended/accidental AVX requirement of 64-bit version (Read 1018 times) previous topic - next topic

Unintended/accidental AVX requirement of 64-bit version

Dear userbase,

I just noticed that foobar2000 64-bit crashes when using ReplayGain scanner on old computers without AVX instruction set.
This is completely unintended and caused by a bug in latest Microsoft compiler, which produces AVX opcodes even if configured not to in 64-bit mode.

If you are affected by this problem, please either stick with older foobar2000 or use 32-bit version on your computer.

I'm working on a workaround (it's not my bug...) and will revert to older compiler if necessary.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Re: Unintended/accidental AVX requirement of 64-bit version

Reply #1
Yes, @Peter, I am affected, that's why I still use Foobar2000 2.1 x64 (2023-12-18).

• Join our efforts to make Helix MP3 encoder great again
• Opus complexity & qAAC dependence on Apple is an aberration from Vorbis & Musepack breakthroughs
• Let's pray that D. Bryant improve WavPack hybrid, C. Helmrich update FSLAC, M. van Beurden teach FLAC to handle non-audio data

Reply #3
If this is the same thing...

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/t/Cannot-disable-AVX-and-AVX2-in-VS-2022/10497078?space=21&scope=follow&sort=newest

... it's supposedly fixed in VS2022 17.10 - currently preview so could be tested.

Reply #4
Known.
I'm waiting till VS2022 17.10 before attempting any "fixes" in fb2k 2.2 series, hoping for the problem to fix itself without having to revert C++20 use in new code.

This isn't the first time stuff like this happens, as older versions of VS were known to produce SSE opcodes when configured not to.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #5
Fixed version:
https://www.foobar2000.org/downloads/foobar2000-x64_v2.1.4-VS2019.exe

If nothing broke from compiler downgrade, I'll keep using VS2019 for foobar2000 2.1.x series updates.
Thanks! This version fixes the issue together with my intel j5005.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!