Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [Guidance Needed] foobar2000 on OS-X with Wine Bottler (Read 1482 times) previous topic - next topic

[Guidance Needed] foobar2000 on OS-X with Wine Bottler

Hello all, I am using OS-X quite heavily on one of my machines because of certain specific applications I'd rather not run under Windows. I have managed to successfully install foobar2000 1.3.14 as well as many of the third-party plugins without any problems using Wine Bottler, but now that I am customizing it, I am discovering that there are certain other plugins which have dependencies.

The problem is that when initially performing the basic foobar2000 install I wasn't aware that these libraries would need to be installed later down the line. Like the waveform scrolling plugin (foo_wave_seekbar) which won't work without certain Microsoft DirectX files being installed IIRC. I am just unsure on whether such libraries can be installed on top of the Wine instance already created which is running foobar2000, as from what I understand it is like a miniature instance of Windows dedicated to the program, complete with subdirectories Windows expects to see and so on.

Does anyone have experience with running foobar2000 under Wine and successfully updating and adding dependencies? There seems to be a way to start again from scratch by adding the dependencies at install time in the Wine Bottler menu ("Wine Tricks"), but it would mean losing all of my customization efforts?

Also, (and related to this last question) if possible can you suggest how to back up the installation so that if something goes wrong I can backtrack and not lose all of my work? All these things are taken for granted when running Windows, but I am new to running these programs under Wine, any help or hints very appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
floating in liquid gardens in Arizona new red sand

Re: [Guidance Needed] foobar2000 on OS-X with Wine Bottler

Reply #1
Adding dependencies with winetricks will not affect foobars configuration. Regarding backup, you can either backup the entire wine image or only foobar itself, see e.g. here.

Re: [Guidance Needed] foobar2000 on OS-X with Wine Bottler

Reply #2
Adding dependencies with winetricks will not affect foobars configuration. Regarding backup, you can either backup the entire wine image or only foobar itself, see e.g. here.

Thank you....
floating in liquid gardens in Arizona new red sand