Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Columns UI (Read 4578140 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Columns UI

Reply #7100
You raise a valid point. I don't know why the default sort patterns in advanced preferences are like that.

(Specifically:
Code: [Select]
file path=%path_sort%;artist=%artist%|%date%;album=%album%|%discnumber%|%tracknumber%;track number=%discnumber%|%tracknumber%;title=%title%
)

It's worth nothing the default pattern in 'Sort by...' is instead:
%ALBUM ARTIST% - %DATE% - %ALBUM% - %DISCNUMBER% - %TRACKNUMBER% - %TITLE%

Reply #7101
     > How to change the color (front and background) of the current playing song in the Playlist Viewer...

You can change the colors of the currently playing song either individually for each column or globally.

To do it globally,
Go to Preferences -> Display -> Columns UI -> Globals -> Style tab
and check "use global variables for display"
and append this code to the end of the edit field (insert your RGB colors):

$if(%isplaying%,
   $set_style(back,<background color>,<selected background color>)
   $set_style(text,<text color>,<selected text color>)
   )

To do it for each individual column (and override the global setting),
For every column in "Preferences -> Display -> Columns UI -> Columns -> <Column Name> Scripts tab -> Style tab
check "use custom style script"
and append this code to the end of the edit field (change the colors to your colors):

$if(%isplaying%,
   $set_style(back,$rgb(149,243,143),$rgb(149,243,143))
   $set_style(text,$rgb(217,0,119),$rgb(217,0,119))
   )

Neither of those work for me. It changes nothing. What can I possibly do wrong here? Thanks!

Reply #7102
Go to File > Preferences > Columns UI > Colours and Fonts

Then check on the Colours tab that Global is set to Custom or Themed, also check that none of the NG Playlist or Columns Playlist elements are set to "System"

Reply #7103
Go to File > Preferences > Columns UI > Colours and Fonts

Then check on the Colours tab that Global is set to Custom or Themed, also check that none of the NG Playlist or Columns Playlist elements are set to "System"

The mode was set to Themed changing it to Custom or System changes colors. Thank you!

Reply #7104
1. Every time I restore down the foobar window half of the horizontal scroll bars are hidden.
2. When I drag to resize the window small lines appear at the volume and seekbar.

Reply #7105
The first problem is curious. What do you mean by 'restore down'? Could you upload/send me your foo_ui_columns.dll.cfg (Shift+File/Browser configuration folder then in the configuration directory)? Does it only happen when using tabs of some kind?

The second problem is fixed for the next version – thanks for the report.

Reply #7106
'restore down' is the reversal of 'maximize'. Press the button between minimize and close at the top right corner while the window is maximized.
I have added my cfg. So far I could only reproduce it when there is the "playlist tabs" splitter present.

Reply #7107
Thanks. I can reproduce it with your config; I will put a fix in for the next version.

However, the intention is that the playlist view is put inside the playlist tabs – if you do that the problem should go away for the most part.

Reply #7108
I'm not sure if this is ColumnsUI doing or FB2K internals, but when you right-click on a column header (NG PlayList/ColumnsUI Playlist), the column in question does get selected in the list of available columns, but it doesn't get scrolled into view. Scrollbar is always at the top and I need to scroll down to get the selected column into view.

Could this be changed to make the selected column scroll into view?

Reply #7109
That's indeed Columns UI. Should be an easy fix to get in for the next release.

Reply #7110
I've got a question, from what I gathered this isn't (yet?) possible but maybe someone knows a trick to get around this limitation.

I've got two portable installs of a Columns UI based FB2K because of some stupid component limitation and over time their layouts have diverged due to task specific use of those installs. What I would like is to get rid of one of them (it's too much work keeping formatting scripts in sync) and incorporate the layout of one into the other so I can switch between them from the layout menu.

Regular FCL import won't do this as it nukes the layout already in place. But I don't want to replace it but add the other one instead as extra option. Any way to do this?

I don't mind a bit of 'fiddling' if that is what it's gonna take... but if at all possible I'd like to prevent having to recreate that layout from scratch, took me long enough to get it this far.

Reply #7111
What are these two components that are incompatible? And what is the overall purpose of the two installs?

Reply #7112
I'm doing something similar, combining two separate but similar portable installs into one. The way I'll be doing it is put each config under its own panel stack and then have a button to show either one and hide the other panel stack. So effectively you'll have two into one.

Reply #7113
it
What are these two components that are incompatible? And what is the overall purpose of the two installs?
It's not incompatibility but the lack of easy access to a simple configuration switch in m-TAG that's buried like 5 layers deep in advanced settings.  The component can also be called via a commandline option but the way it then acts depends on that setting.
 So initially I had two setups, each with that setting switched opposite from the other install so I could add both methods of operation to the "Run Services" component using the two different FB2K setups. Which meant I usually also had two FB2K instances running. So in order to not get confused between the two, I also changed layouts so that one is more technical information oriented and the other more geared to looks.

Since then I also ran into another limitation (not able to reload changed tag information from media files after the initial collection) which has made me decide to abandon its use since it only causes for more work then ease this way. But, I still would like to keep that layout available. I know I can save it as an fcl file and switching between the two would be like switching through the menu, but then I still need to sync title formatting and such between the two...

Reply #7114
You still didn't specify what exactly is the problematic setting with m-TAGS (so I can check myself what work and what doesn't). If it's something that must be and can only be toggled via commandline, can't you simply write a batch file that would look for an existing client of foobar, close it, then restart it with the specific commands required? That is, after you merged your two layouts into one either using something like a topmost tab stack (at simplest) or panel stack splitter as jazzthieve mentioned.

Reply #7115
I would appreciate it if you didn't focus so much on m-TAG, but rather at the question at hand, which is if there is some out-of-the-way method to import a layout into an existing Columns UI setup without nuking the existing layout so I can select which one to use from the layout menu.

It's not just the problematic setting (which is the one that controls whether it makes one tag file for all media files in a folder or a separate tag file for each media file). If it were only that I could have lived with the two installs. The clincher is that it cannot update the tag files with changed information if media tags get changed/added by 3rdparty software that doesn't know about m-TAG. e.g. KeyFinder.

This creates so much extra work that I decided to stop using it altogether.

I don't need a solution involving panel stack or tab stack since that creates a single layout with tabs. And both layouts already make heavy use of both...
My goal is to be able to open the View > Layout menu and have each layout as a separate entry on that submenu.

Discussion so far has lead me to believe there is no easy way, so I'll rather go and recreate it than continue discussing m-TAG in a topic where it doesn't belong.

Too bad the 'Copy Panel' command of the layout editor doesn't work across two separate instances. Without non-destructive import that would have been the next best thing.
Thanks for ideas and suggestions so far, they aren't what I was looking for but the effort is appreciated.

PS. Also since my library is not yet completely enveloped by m-TAGS and is in a transition state, I've got to jump hoops to avoid seeing false duplicates (m-TAG entry and original media file) together.

Reply #7116
0.5.0 beta 1 has been released (change log).

@Just_Addict, if you want to copy layout presets from one foobar2000 installation to another, without losing any existing presets in the process, you are right there currently isn't a way to do that. Unfortunately, as you pointed out, the copy and paste functionality in the layout preferences doesn't work across instances. If you want to do it just this one time, you could always compile Columns UI yourself and just comment out the line that removes the current presets when importing an FCL file.

Reply #7117
I would appreciate it if you didn't focus so much on m-TAG, but rather at the question at hand, which is if there is some out-of-the-way method to import a layout into an existing Columns UI setup without nuking the existing layout so I can select which one to use from the layout menu.
Because experience shows that people are not perfect. And if someone else takes the time to properly understand the core of the problem, think about it from his own unique viewpoint and consider his own set of potential solutions then pit that against the one that was already presented, more often than not you might find that a much more elegant solution can be found.

0.5.0 beta 1 has been released (change log).
Thanks for the improvements musicmusic, I appreciate it.

Reply #7118
Can anyone point my in the direction of changing the default sort pattern? I use the columns playlist, not NG playlist.

Whenever I click on a playlist or an artist from default album list and it brings it up in the playlist view, a default sort pattern is thrown to it and this is what I'd like to change. I've looked through just about every menu I could and changed anything relating to sorting files and it never seems to do anything. I already have a script in mind to use for the sort pattern, I just don't know where to put it.

If anyone could tell me if this is possible or how I could go about doing it that'd be fantastic.

For anyone curious if the script itself is just wrong and that's why it wont work, this is the script
%<artist>%|%date% - %album%|[[%discnumber%.]%tracknumber%. ][%track artist% - ]%title%

Reply #7119
What library viewer are you using? They will often have their own sorting options so you should look at the preferences page for each. There's also one for items acquired through windows explorer called shell integration also accessible through the file/preferences window.

Reply #7120
What library viewer are you using? They will often have their own sorting options so you should look at the preferences page for each. There's also one for items acquired through windows explorer called shell integration also accessible through the file/preferences window.

It's columns playlist and I assume it's preference page is preferences>display>columns UI>playlist view. I've looked through that page but couldn't find anything for sorting that didn't have to do with actual columns that you click to sort with. And the shell integration is useful I guess but I never select music to play through the windows explorer interface so it's not really what I'm looking for.

Reply #7121
Columns playlist is a playlist viewer and I asked for a library viewer. The latter lets you cherry pick items from your library (such as entire albums, artists etc) while the former displays the list of tracks corresponding to your highlight (the tracks that the clicked album contains). Regardless, I can see from your screenshot that the library viewer in question is Album list panel.

You can go to 'File/Preferences/Media library/Album list panel/Advanced' and check 'Apply core sort setting to added items'. Then sorting will be based on 'File/Preferences/Shell integration/Sort incoming files by'.

Out of curiosity, any particular reason you are using columns playlist viewer as opposed to ng?

Reply #7122
Columns playlist is a playlist viewer and I asked for a library viewer. The latter lets you cherry pick items from your library (such as entire albums, artists etc) while the former displays the list of tracks corresponding to your highlight (the tracks that the clicked album contains). Regardless, I can see from your screenshot that the library viewer in question is Album list panel.

Yeah I didn't understand what the difference was.

You can go to 'File/Preferences/Media library/Album list panel/Advanced' and check 'Apply core sort setting to added items'. Then sorting will be based on 'File/Preferences/Shell integration/Sort incoming files by'.

That worked! Thanks!

Out of curiosity, any particular reason you are using columns playlist viewer as opposed to ng?

When I first set up foobar I didn't know much and didn't like how NG separated each album with lines or something? Not sure how to describe it. But I didn't like it, wanted something simpler and I've been using columns playlist since then.

Reply #7123
When I first set up foobar I didn't know much and didn't like how NG separated each album with lines or something? Not sure how to describe it. But I didn't like it, wanted something simpler and I've been using columns playlist since then.
Most likely you are referring to grouping which can be disabled in 'File/Preferences/Display/Columns UI/Playlist view/Grouping' (by deleting all the lines under Script).

Reply #7124
Thanks for the improvements musicmusic, I appreciate it.
Thanks. I will give it 1-2 weeks, and if no problems are reported, I'll release 0.5.0 final.

Most likely you are referring to grouping which can be disabled in 'File/Preferences/Display/Columns UI/Playlist view/Grouping' (by deleting all the lines under Script).
Indeed, or by unticking the 'Show groups' option at the top of the dialog. Perhaps the option could be added to the column titles context menu too (though the initial quick setup window does have options to control grouping).

As a general point, I would like to stress that Columns playlist should really be avoided – it was superseded by NG playlist long ago. I might just rename it to Legacy playlist and output messages in the console to discourage usage.