Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Are all compact disc-recordables the same? (Read 3305 times) previous topic - next topic

Are all compact disc-recordables the same?

For some time now I have been wondering if there are differences between cheaper CD-R's and those of the higher end. I've always stuck with cheaper brands, supermarket brands in particular, since they tend to be sold in larger packs. But I've been asking myself, if all CD-R's are identical in terms of performance then why do the more costly ones exist and are sold? Correct me if I'm wrong but CD-R's usually have a burn limit of approximately 80 minutes length, and a data capacity of 700mb if used as storage, so is there truly a real difference?

From my experience, all work just as good.

Thanks for your time.

Edit: I just realized that I posted this topic in the wrong category. I've done this stupid mistake before. Sorry for the inconvenience, it won't happen again.

Reply #1
I think the main difference is longevity. There is much info about it on the net ... but will you still use the same CDs in 10+ years? 
"I hear it when I see it."

Reply #2
Yeah, I remember back in the day buying blue and black CDs (on the reading side, which would normally be silver), which looked wicked cool and were cheap. Don't remember the brand, but after a while the coating started to peel off. Terrible quality in the long run, but they looked awesome, especially the black ones.

Reply #3
There's a nice forum where a lot of people with knowledge on this gather: club.myce.com

They are a community like HydrogenAudio, with people posting test results and measurements of different CD-drives and discs. I can tell you: they are not the same. Some are 'easier' to burn or read (having less read errors) and some have longer lifespans (it takes longer before the disc becomes unreadable)
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

Reply #4
I do remember the different dyes etc. I can't remember the shop but I used to buy online and they told you the actual disc manufacturer etc rather than the branded name because it was that that was important.

Reply #5
You can also find the "Archival Grade" media section on SuperMediaStore: http://www.supermediastore.com/category/u/...&maxView=50

I would suggest Taiyo Yuden (the Ferrari of CD/DVD, now JVC) and Verbatim. Classified as non-archival grade but cheap enough. I used to buy only Verbatim but now that TY are easily accessible I only buy TY.

Reply #6
Let me add, even JVC/TaiyoYuden creates archival grade media: https://jvc-media.com/archives/

Reply #7
I would suggest Taiyo Yuden (the Ferrari of CD/DVD, now JVC) and Verbatim.

I've bought some really bad discs from Verbatim recently as well. Sadly, the brand doesn't say too much.
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

Reply #8
I've bought some really bad discs from Verbatim recently as well. Sadly, the brand doesn't say too much.

I used Verbatim Azo discs since maybe 15 years now. First the dark blue Metal Azo and for some years now the light blue Crystal Azo. None of them ever failed. The standard Verbatims seem to be mass market products of varying quality.
A while i found these Intenso Black funny also but i doubt any of them still works. Some failed shortly after burning or some weeks after laying around in the car.
Funny thing is that i lately ripped a Kodak Gold i must have burned back in 1996 with my pricy high tech double speed JVC, SCSI device without a problem.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #9
I would suggest Taiyo Yuden (the Ferrari of CD/DVD, now JVC) and Verbatim.

I don't really burn discs any more, at least only occasionally, but when I did, Verbatim blanks failed repeatedly when it comes to my computer and/or players recognising them. I'm not touching that brand with a bargepole ever again.