Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: --downmixed Vorbis files play out of only ONE speaker (Read 3053 times) previous topic - next topic

--downmixed Vorbis files play out of only ONE speaker

Whenever I play a mono Vorbis file in either WinAmp or foobar2000, I only get output from my left speaker.  This only happens with Vorbis audio; mono MP3s and WAVs will play over both my speakers.

However, when I play the same mono Vorbis file via OggDec.exe, the sound comes out of both speakers as it should.

Anyone have a clue what the problem is?

Reply #2
Hrmm... I think I've pinpointed my problem.  It seems to be my soundcard's fault, a M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496.

I had both foobar2000 and WinAmp's Vorbis plugin set to output 24-bit sound.  Well, it seems that my soundcard works with 16-bit mono just fine... but when it's given 24-bit mono material, it only puts it through a single speaker channel.  Dissapointing.  =(

Reply #3
Heh. I have the M-Audio Revolution 5.1 and it also plays mono in the left speaker only.

Enabling foobar's "convert mono to stereo" DSP gives me sound from both speakers, of course.