Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar2000 for mac (Read 110155 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: foobar2000 for mac

Reply #125
Juste registered to say thank you ! You definitely made my day ! :o

Reply #126
I've used Foobar2000 on Windows platform but I used it more like a converter and joined the files together in one file.
I'd like to know is there any chance to get converter functions and other functions for foobar2000 on Mac?
I'd really appreciate converter functions with nero's aac codec on a mac!

Reply #127
Nero's AAC is inferior to Apple's anyway. Not to mention that you need to acquire it somehow.

Reply #129
Hi all :)
Thanx so much for this Mac version :)
It SEEMS to me the first time I used Foobar, playing music from my Mac, stored on my Synology drive, output on my AVR, I DID get the display of artist track etc... Now I only get "Foobar 2000 Audio streaming" on my Denon AVR, Album cover on my TV etc.
Is this something I can setup ? Not sure If I changed something somewhere that changed that...
Thanx for your help :)

Reply #130
First of all, thank you so much for the Mac version! One question I'd like to ask, is there any way to configure the buffer size for reading from network drives? I'd like to read my library over a VPN connection from a NAS and it require a huge buffer for smooth playback. Something like 32 MB at least.
Is there any value for this in the SQLite file?

Reply #131
Nero's AAC is inferior to Apple's anyway. Not to mention that you need to acquire it somehow.
Really?
When did this happen?
15 years ago it was the other way around!
Are there any recent decent ABX tests about this?

EDIT: I just remembered, that the reason for choosing Nero was quality based encoding.
But has the quality of Apple's codec improved in 15 years?
Back then they were on par for my ears.

Reply #132
ffs, I can't find any of our old listening tests.

They were on par with each other, really. The elevation of Apple's over Nero's was within the margin of error.

Just beware, Nero only ever built their encoder for Windows and Linux, so you'll have to somehow cook up a Wine compatibility layer to even run it on macOS. And if you were thinking of using an AMD "Hackintosh", forget about that, CrossOver's 32 bit on 64 bit compatibility layer only works on Intel processors.

Reply #133
Dear Foobar developers,
I'd be happy to support financially development of some options for Mac users:
1. Playlist view: ability to view "custom field" based on file's tags (a lot of custom tags i've created during windows times with foobar2000).
2. Library view and organisation the same as foobar under windows: artist/genre/year grouping, thus the total library can be groped and searched visually by criteria.
3. Search option.

I appreciate comments.
Thanks.

Reply #134
Hi all.
For anybody who seeks for the sorting functionality in playlist (like on windows, separate sub menu) there is a way to arrange it by file path. Right click on playlist header (above tracks), select "File path" and sort by it. For some reason that was not so obvious for me. Maybe help someone else :)

Again, thanks for the great player.
Cheers :)

Reply #135
Hi, I have OS Catalina, F2K walks without a problem, but I don't know how to install add-on to play DSD and DSF, SACD files. In WIN it went. Thank you for your advice.

Reply #136
There is no public components api for foobar2000 on mac so there are no components to install for features that aren't there (yet).

Reply #137
Hi, there is an annoying bug when adding multiple CD albums. When I drag and drop it into app, they are not sorted by path / subfolder, but they are sorted by track names. So for example CD1/b.flac, CD2/a.flac would result in CD2 before CD1 in the playlist.

Reply #138
ffs, I can't find any of our old listening tests.

They were on par with each other, really. The elevation of Apple's over Nero's was within the margin of error.

Just beware, Nero only ever built their encoder for Windows and Linux, so you'll have to somehow cook up a Wine compatibility layer to even run it on macOS. And if you were thinking of using an AMD "Hackintosh", forget about that, CrossOver's 32 bit on 64 bit compatibility layer only works on Intel processors.
I tried a few years ago to brew some version of fb2k, but I didn't succeed. So, I've used 1.0 that somebody brewed and shared back in 2011.
Maybe I should try again with newer version, since there are all these good instructions nowadays...

Reply #139
Hi Peter,

I use Foobar for Mac to access a SMB network library over wireless. There are frequent dropouts, usually a few seconds in length. I've experimented playing the same files with VLC, resulting in no dropouts. If this is a buffering issue, then could it be made an adjustable preference?

Thank you

Reply #140
I've been super impressed with the progress made on the MacOS build. Only think I personally need now is the transcode function, then I can finally ditch my Wine install.

Thanks for this Peter, it's a much cleaner solution

Reply #141
For now, you can use the excellent transcoding and ripping solution for macOS, XLD.

Reply #142
For now, you can use the excellent transcoding and ripping solution for macOS, XLD.

XLD is very good, but personally I am more well verses in Foobar (and generally prefer the interface) - so when trying to do something odd or technical, Foobar is my go-to.

Plus, I can see the benefits in having a single app do all this :-) One step at a time though.

Reply #143
I only learned to use the alternatives because they were the best available alternatives for a given OS. For instance, if I ever have to do rips on my VM host, I'll be using Fre:ac, since it's a Linux host machine.

Reply #144
Hello.
The new "about foobar" window/panel looks stylish but does not have version number. Seems not very convenient to go to the file location to check which version I am using in finder. Please consider adding this info.
Great that the app is growing. Cheers  :D

Reply #145
Indeed :) seems I forgot to include the most essential bit of information. Will be fixed in 2.2.7.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #146
What is the goal with this build Peter? Is it eventually going to replicate the features of the Windows build, or will it continue to be a 'lite' version of Foobar? Personally, I'm very eager to have the convertor added to it, then I can likely drop my wine installation. Would that be a conflict of interestes though? As I know some of the dB apps that do this are popular on MacOS - I've bought AssetUPnP myself.

I don't care about time lines or anything, I'm just interested in what you think the future may hold for this build (especially as Apple continues to deliver sub standard players in their recent OSs)

Reply #147
Hello thank you very much for this port to MacOS, even in this current state it is very useful. I have a few questions concerning the integrated equalizer, it takes a few more details to actually use it properly:
- well, the current value of each slider would be the primary need
- what are the min and max dB values for each slider? (e.g. -20 dB/+20 dB)
- what is the bandwidth for each frequency?
- what accuracy do sliders have? (e.g. 1 dB or 0.1 dB)

Cheers

Reply #148
Hi! Huge thanks for creating foo2k for mac.

I have a couple of question that may (or may not be) on your agenda (*):
* option to *not*-replacing current playlist when opening files from the OS (it's a bit annoying especially with radio stations - one has to search again for the links)
* option to handle shortcuts - at least something basic to start/stop playback, could be with spacebar (though, support for global multimedia keys would be very appreciated)

(* - btw, do you have any "bugtrack" where one could see/suggest things?)

Reply #149
Most of my FLAC files reside on a NAS and I just use a shared volume to play them back.  This setup worked fine when using AFP as the sharing protocol, but my recent migration to SMB has caused some problems with FB2Kmac.  Any file I attempt to open now returns:

Playback error: File is already in use
On: "/Volumes/path/to/file"

None of the metadata appears to have even been read in, so the playlist just shows the filename.

I have full read/write permissions on the files and other media players don't seem to have any problems playing them back.  Also, I have no issue using this setup with FB2K on the windows side.

Any guidance on things to check would be appreciated.  Thanks.

EDIT: I should also add the same files work fine once copied and accessed locally.