Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Different Grouping Schemes for Playlists (Read 2351 times) previous topic - next topic

Different Grouping Schemes for Playlists

Hey,

I've been using foobar for a couple years but never really tried to modify the view at all.

I would like to have different grouping schemes for different playlists. I.E. I would like to group my main library by album artist, but group a soundtrack playlist by album. How can I go about this?

On a side note:

When grouping by album artist, some artists are split into multiple groups even though they have the exact same name. Why is this?

Thanks!

Reply #1
Are you using DUI or CUI?
Look into using ELplaylist if you are on CUI and make different panels for each of those groupings.

For the side note,
Highlight them all and look in the tag properties, make sure they are all spelled exactly the same and there are no extra spaces at the end of any of them.
If they are different you'll see:  "Multiple Values"... then lists them. 
You'll only see a single album artist if they are all exactly the same.

Reply #2
Are you using DUI or CUI?
Look into using ELplaylist if you are on CUI and make different panels for each of those groupings.

For the side note,
Highlight them all and look in the tag properties, make sure they are all spelled exactly the same and there are no extra spaces at the end of any of them.
If they are different you'll see:  "Multiple Values"... then lists them. 
You'll only see a single album artist if they are all exactly the same.

I'm using the Default User Interface right now. Thanks for the advice, I'll check that out!

Thanks, that fixed it

I had one more question:

Is it possible to group by artist, and then within those groupings, group by album?

Reply #3
It's also doable with CUI/NG Playlist, you will just need to put a special string to the playlist's title (like '-a-' for albums or whatever) and then go to 'Prefences/Display/CUI/Grouping/doubleclick on your script/show only on playlists' and define a pattern such as '*-a-*'. You can also link specific columns to a playlist similarly.

Alternatively if your soundtrack albums are always tagged with GENRE=Soundtrack, something like this might work (if the GENRE is soundtrack, it writes the value of ALBUM, otherwise ARTIST):
Code: [Select]
$if($stricmp(%genre%,Soundtrack),%album%,%artist%)

This also relies purely on tags and not on playlist names.

Is it possible to group by artist, and then within those groupings, group by album?

You just have to add two grouping patterns then. The second always ends up 'inside' the first. Though using only one with a pattern such as 'ARTIST / ALBUM' would make more sense in my opinion.