Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Advice for going lossless (Read 6681 times) previous topic - next topic

Advice for going lossless

Ok, Im getting ready to go lossless and before I invest alot of time in the process I would like to get advice of those that have gone before me. Any help with the following would be appreciated:

1) Choice of codec: FLAC vs Monkey vs Other - FLAC seems to have broader support and better error recovery. Monky seems to be a bit faster encoder and a bit better compression. Opinions?

2)Rip to single file for album or song: I want to be able to preserve albums audio dynamics ect but want EASY transcoding (with tag preservation) to lossy codecs.

3)EAC: My choice must be easy to rip with EAC, hopefully with EAC doing the tagging

4)ReplayGain support: I believe both Monkey and Flac support ReplayGain. What choices do I make [radio vs audiophile (can u do both)]?

5)Retain gapless playback support

6) Best way to use PAR2 files? Best par2 options?

Anything else I need to consider?

Reply #2
ad.1
It was discussed to death on this forum. Use search  

ad.2
Look at this poll:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/show.php/showtopic/17570

ad3.
Look here:
http://www.replaygain.org/

You can use both modes. Use radio for single files and audiophile for albums

I have been reading and searching the lossless forum without alot of clear-cut answers. Ive read the poll/post on the multiple files per album vs single file. Doesnt add much or answer many questions.

-In fact, do you need to rip to 1 file per album to retain gapless playback or can u do that with single files?

-Can albums ripped to single files be easily transcoded to individual songs (I dont think so)?

Reply #3
All lossless codecs are gapless, and thus can be playbacked gapless. Otherwise it wouldn't be lossless.

People mostly rip to 1 file per album to retain a perfect album layout (gaps).

Single file albums can be easily transcoded to individual tracks (and different codecs) with foobar2000. dBpoweramp music converter can also transcode but i don't know if it can handle cue-sheets, never really tried it.

Reply #4
I prefer ripping to single files with EAC -> flac.
Transcoding later on to lossy by foobar2000 is easy, too.

1) Choice of codec: FLAC vs Monkey vs Other - FLAC seems to have broader support and better error recovery. Monky seems to be a bit faster encoder and a bit better compression. Opinions?

yes. select between those 3, consider wavepack 3.97 or 4 both with hybrid mode, too.

2)Rip to single file for album or song: I want to be able to preserve albums audio dynamics ect but want EASY transcoding (with tag preservation) to lossy codecs.

single files, no problems, imo better overview on your storage medium, eg. in viewing explorer.  *

3)EAC: My choice must be easy to rip with EAC, hopefully with EAC doing the tagging

FLAC or ape via wapet. Wavepack hybrid via eac:  rip to waves, encoding to hybrid and tagging by foobar2000.

4)ReplayGain support: I believe both Monkey and Flac support ReplayGain. What choices do I make [radio vs audiophile (can u do both)]?

no problem to have tarck & album gain applied.

5)Retain gapless playback support

of course.

6) Best way to use PAR2 files? Best par2 options?

* difficult, select between 5 - 15% recovery data, and block size dependent on your speed of PC, try out.

in fact, all these thingies have influenced *, and are more or less described there, will improve dependent on time... 

MOD: * no links or names of ripping groups please.

Reply #5
All lossless codecs are gapless, and thus can be playbacked gapless. Otherwise it wouldn't be lossless.

People mostly rip to 1 file per album to retain a perfect album layout (gaps).

Is there a way to retain a perfect album while at the same time ripping to multiple files per album?

Reply #6
I repeat me, read my above post,
of course you get a perfect gapless album whilst ripping to single tracks lossless,
as described here:

just a statement to the annoying ***, for some personal opinion, the mods of HA consider my personal collection/guide/recommendation as 'rip-group' page, which is not true. Unfortunately, I cannot prevent any linking to it, from unwanted sites or whatever.

MOD.: Partial link removed.

Reply #7
I repeat me, read my above post,
of course you get a perfect gapless album whilst ripping to single tracks lossless,
as described here:

just a statement to the annoying ***, for some personal opinion, the mods of HA consider my personal collection/guide/recommendation as 'rip-group' page, which is not true. Unfortunately, I cannot prevent any linking to it, from unwanted sites or whatever.

User: I got a screenshot showing evidence that *** is indeed an active ripping group/community:

Your guides include nice information which is always appreciated but it is against the ToS to promote the ***. If the guides are just for your personal use, we can make pinned topic with graphs but without mentioning *** or you can make a ***-free page? What do you think?
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #8
sorry, I don't know, what that is. It would certainly be better, if you contact me directly, e.g. via email, which is in my profile ?
At the moment I have lost some interest to publish/expand the guide, or work/change on it, due to recent past. dunno, if it helps, to call it  'user-guide', maybe then there is next group, which introduces ripping a la user.

Reply #9
Well, according to my information you know very well what that is.
Anyway, there's not much to discuss, just read my previous post, it still stands: please make ***-free information. Then everything is fine.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #10
Send me your 'information' about myself, that would have been better the earlier it would have been done.  Then a lot annoyances would have been avoided for sure. Due to those annoyances I have lost the interest in working on my guides.

Reply #11
Send me your 'information' about myself, that would have been better the earlier it would have been done.  Then a lot annoyances would have been avoided for sure. Due to those annoyances I have lost the interest in working on my guides.

I don't want to make this more complicated than it is, and I'd like that we can sort this out honorably. That's why all I ask is that please remove the *** letters from your guides etc, and you are free to provide the information here and nobody from the management/moderation will bother you. Thanks.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #12
that can be done easily. But why were the issues not talked about with me earlier ?

Reply #13
I and others already spend a lot of time telling you this. I even gave you a detailed list of what makes your guides look like ripping group guides.
So I don't know how you can feel you were not informed.

Reply #14
Jan, you and somebody else have taken certain actions always before talking to me, please remind that. Our talk about what looks there strange, happened all after those annoyances, unfortunately.

Reply #15
feb 16th: an admin tells you not to post *** links.
Apr 17th: I remove *** from recommended settings.
Apr 18th: Link are put back by you.
              All pimp links were removed.
              You are contacted by another mod.

Apr 29th: I talk to you giving you a detailed list of things I think makes *** look like a ripping group and you manage to convince me I am wrong.

In the next days we find this screenshot.

May 7,8: Link in threads that were cleaned apr 18th reappear.