Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Problem samples for MP3 (Read 9599 times) previous topic - next topic

Problem samples for MP3

Ringing on all acoustic tracks sometimes up to V0 (angels is the worse). Preecho on jane doe upto V1. Distorted vocal [rita] @ 2 secs and big one @ 6 secs

Problem samples for MP3

Reply #1
Thanks for your samples, shadowking.

I'm most afraid of distortions in vocals, so I tried rita.
At -V5 I could easily ABX the problem.
As I usually encode using -V0 or -V1.5 (together with --lowpass 16.7) I encoded with these settings.
Results were fine to me.
Did you encounter the rita problems with higher settings?

What were the problems for -V0? (I tried angels using -V0 - can you give a hint for the critical spot
in case there were problems with angel at -V0).
lame3995o -Q1.7 --lowpass 17

Problem samples for MP3

Reply #2
Thanks for testing.

With rita, i tested V1 -Y last week . I initially got confused but after longer pauses i could abx.
With angels the 1st "twang"  is the most distorted. Its a 'ghosting' or tremolo of the note . With the volume slightly raised i hear it in normal listening @ V0.

Problem samples for MP3

Reply #3
I tried again using -V1.5 --lowpass 16.7, but didn't succeed.
Probably I didn't try hard enough or my hearing isn't good enough, and with angel I unfortunately didn't hear something that sounded like a 'twang' to me.

Anyway I also experienced issues with mp3 other than the well-known pre-echo ones even at a HQ setting like -V0 or similar.
Luckily so far these issues have always been subtle to me when using HQ settings, and I'm glad this doesn't change with your samples.

Problem samples for MP3

Reply #4
With -V0 being pretty strong with 3.98 I have always wondered whether there is quality improvement when going up to --abr 285 -h (or similar) or -b 320 for those problems where -V0 isn't perfect.

If you have the time, shadowking, would you mind trying extremely high quality settings like those I mentioned on your sample?

Problem samples for MP3

Reply #5
I noticed some nice progress with lame 3100 alpha2 on 01-Rita...

The vocal dropout is much more subtle . I would say V4 is not annoying and V3 needed concentration to abx and would go unnoticed in normal listening.

Just to be sure I went back to 3.99 / 3.98 and V4 was much more obvious.

Problem samples for MP3

Reply #6
Thanks for the info.
There's been experience before that 3.100a2 yields certain improvement over 3.99, and any further experience (be it good or bad) is very welcome.