Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Converting TO APE and TTA? (Read 1501 times) previous topic - next topic

Converting TO APE and TTA?

My apologies if this isn't in the right spot; So many subsections, so many possibilities, all that.

Alright, so here's my situation so I'm not holding back: I'm going to be getting my first android based device in a day or so, to replace my aging MP3 player, and one of the things that caught my eye is lossless format support for some of the music players (I plan to update from the base of the Samsung Galaxy Player 4.0 to PowerAmp, mostly for the gapless playback and TTA support). Now, I realize this means little to you guys, but it's to give you a point of view for what I'm going for. FLAC, while it certainly has it's uses, is in fact bigger than TTA and APE files. So, my preference would be to convert to TTA or APE for my lossless.

Now, for why this is in Foobar's Forum: To put it simply, I trust Foobar for conversions. It's smart, it knows what to do to make things work, and, most importantly, I don't have to do anything weird to make it work outside of give it a file and specify what I want to convert it to. I want to use Foobar2000 to convert my files, but my problem comes MOSTLY because I have no actual knowledge of how this stuff works- I'm afriad my knowledge of music files only goes so far as to knowing what's lossless and what isn't, and what that means.

Specifically, on the one attempt I decided to make before backing away in mock horror was making use of TTA's Encryption program, but the error it spat out was that it's parameters were wrong- No real surprise, since I didn't even attempt to change them.

I was hoping that someone here could give me a step by step on how to add TTA and APE styles to Foobar2000's conversion abilities. I noticed it has the "Add New" option, meaning it's possible, but I still have no clue as to the how. Any help would be greately appreciated.

Reply #1
According to my tests...

Compression ratio (= encoded_file_size/original_file_size; the less the better):

FLAC -5: 64.6%
FLAC -8: 64.4%
TTA: 64.1%
APE normal: 62.8%
APE high: 62.5%

Decoding speed (with win32 decoders, on 2.5GHz Core2):

FLAC -5: 371 x realtime
FLAC -8: 354 x
TTA: 167 x
APE normal: 71 x
APE high: 60 x

So, there's almost no difference in compression ratio between FLAC and TTA, and APE decoding requires much more CPU than FLAC.
Are you sure that you don't want to use FLAC?

Reply #2
Hrm... I'm not used to dealing with CPU at a premium, but I guess it would be at such on a mobile device.

I suppose you have a point. APE would be more troublesome. FLAC it is.

Thanks! By not answering my question, you've rendered my question meaningless! Bravo!

Luckily Foobar doesn't care too much about what I put into it, apparently, so long as it can play it, it can convert it. Which is nice.

Reply #3
foobar2000 does convert flawlessly between lossless formats. The only standing issue is converting embedded album art between tags of one format to another, which is not implemented.