Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ranglist of Encoder's and Bitrate's NEED HELP! (Read 2560 times) previous topic - next topic

Ranglist of Encoder's and Bitrate's NEED HELP!

Hi.

I will do a Ranglist of Quality including all available encoders and audiocodecs (like mpc, aac, ogg, mp3 with lame, blade, xing....)
I have done some listening test over the last years. The know how of this lovely site    helps me with my hobby 

Well, i think its important for me to to tell my friends how horrible many mp3 encoders sounds. and that 128kb/s mp3 is NOT CD Quality.

I Using MPC with q5 or q6 and for compatibility Lame 3.90.2 or 3.92 with presets standard or extreme. both sounds good for me, but mpc is a lot better.

OK i think i have stressed you enough with my horrible english 

below you can see a ranglist of encoders and bitrates of my choice. sure its not complete. ogg, aac and mppro are missing at this time due to inexperienced of myself with these formats.
well, i know the list is not 100% accurate. it should be only a raw overview of quality.
Maybe you can help me to expand and correct my list.
The Quality Index is: 1 = Excellent, 2 = good, 3 = average, et cetera 5+6 are bad.

1+   MPC   Xtreme, Insane
1   MPC   Standard

2+   Lame   Insane
2   Lame   Standard, Extreme, CBR und VBR ~256kb/s-350kb/s
2   FHG   ~320kb/s, ~256kb/s

3+   FHG   ~192kb/s
3+   Lame   ~192kb/s
3+   Gogo   ~256kb/s
3   Gogo   ~192kb/s, +160kb/
3   QDesign   ~192kb/s, ~160kb/s
3   Xing (new)   ~256kb/s, ~320kb/s
3   FHG   ~160kb/s
3   Lame   ~160kb/s
3   Blade   ~256kb/s, ~320kb/s

4+   FHG   ~128kb/s
4+   Blade   ~192kb/s
4+   Xing (old)   ~256kb/s, 320kb/s
4   Lame   ~128kb/s
4   Blade   ~160kb/s
4   Xing (new)   ~192kb/s

5+6   Xing (new)   ~128kb/s, ~160kb/s
5+6   Xing (old)   ~128kb/s, ~160kb/s, 192kb/s

Reply #1
Don't forget Ogg Vorbis...

Reply #2
no i don't forget vorbis. but i haven't many experience with ogg at vorbis time.
i hope amny of you can help me.