Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar2000 messing MP3Gain APE tags (Read 5778 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar2000 messing MP3Gain APE tags

Hi folks

I love foobar2000, we all know it...
But something really bothers me...
Whatever MP3 file I adjust in MP3Gain it will have MP3Gain UNDO information stored on APE tags.
If I edit their tags in foobar, and if I change anything, DATE, ARTIST, TITLE, anything... and update it,
foobar will erase the UNDO information of those MP3s.

What to do to not let foobar2000 erase or touch those precious UNDO information stored by MP3Gain?
Thanksssssss

Reply #1
Why not use foobar2000 to do the ReplayGain stuff altogether?

Reply #2
It's a question of the target system support of Replaygain headers. In the real world out there, virtually no system supports replaygain.

Reply #3

because I play the MP3 files in hardware devices, because foobar can apply replaygain but you can't undo changes like MP3Gain...

I think I figured out though, I am only using APE tags now...

Reply #4
I would like to know what exactly changes are applying to audio file when I use ReplayGain->Apply Track/Album ReplayGain to MP3 Data option or mp3gain? What are the differences between them? (I only know that ReplayGain->Scan... option writes RG info as a tags)

PS Sorry for my english.

Reply #5

because I play the MP3 files in hardware devices, because foobar can apply replaygain but you can't undo changes like MP3Gain...

I think I figured out though, I am only using APE tags now...

Can't you just remove the replaygain info (i.e. undo the changes) in foobar2000

Reply #6
I would like to know what exactly changes are applying to audio file when I use ReplayGain->Apply Track/Album ReplayGain to MP3 Data option or mp3gain? What are the differences between them? (I only know that ReplayGain->Scan... option writes RG info as a tags)

MP3Gain will alter the samples in steps of 1.5dB storing undo information, thus it is considered to be a lossless process. Altering physically the samples, you can have the gain correct in software and hardware players without bothering with replaygain values stored in the file.

Foobar's Replaygainer will do the same scan, but store the information on the file TAG, but this will be only read by foobar anyway. If you apply the values to mp3 data, then you will do the same thing as mp3gain does but there is no reversible process, it will be lossy process.