Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar + MP3gain = whack! (Read 7672 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar + MP3gain = whack!

Turns out that the gain information that mp3gain stores in the mp3 metadata is erased by foobar anytime it rewrites a tag. It also seems that mp3gain writes replaygain metadata of small amounts that make up for the 1.5 db steps of mp3gain to mp3s whenever it touches an mp3.

I just wasted a whole lot of time and lost a lot of the original gain information from my mp3s.

I'm thinking that mp3gain is at fault here because they should at least have documented some of this information. GFG.

Does anyone know how to normalize my mp3s for my ipod without losing the original gain information? I'm about to try and figure out the itunes normalization, grrrrr this sucks.

Reply #1
Does anyone know how to normalize my mp3s for my ipod without losing the original gain information? I'm about to try and figure out the itunes normalization, grrrrr this sucks.

Replaygain scan your albums in foobar, and then add them to your ipod with foo_dop.  This converts the RG values into ipod compatible format.

Reply #2
Replaygain scan your albums in foobar, and then add them to your ipod with foo_dop.  This converts the RG values into ipod compatible format.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm bout to try that, right after I undo as much mp3gain info as I can and banish it from my hard drive.

Reply #3
You probably don't need to undo it.  Just scan in foobar and be done with it.

Reply #4

If its not undone, then the original gain information will be lost anytime foobar rewrites the tags. This can be important for several reasons. One example: I track gained an album because I listen to the tracks as singles, then one day I notice the tracks of that album also go together and I want to listen to them in sequence, not as shuffled singles, then I would want the album to be album gained to hear the difference in volume between tracks that the artist intentionally created. However the originally recorded volume difference between the tracks would be lost because the original gain information is gone.

Reply #5

If its not undone, then the original gain information will be lost anytime foobar rewrites the tags. This can be important for several reasons. One example: I track gained an album because I listen to the tracks as singles, then one day I notice the tracks of that album also go together and I want to listen to them in sequence, not as shuffled singles, then I would want the album to be album gained to hear the difference in volume between tracks that the artist intentionally created. However the originally recorded volume difference between the tracks would be lost because the original gain information is gone.

You're not making any sense. When you use the replay gain function in foobar, it will calculate the album and track gain and store both values in the tags. If any replay gain info is already present (album gain, track gain or both) it will be overwritten. The album and track gain will be calculated based on the audio, just like mp3gain did in the first place. The actual audio wasn't touched so almost the same, if not identical, values will probably be calculated as with mp3gain.

Reply #6

You're not making any sense. When you use the replay gain function in foobar, it will calculate the album and track gain and store both values in the tags. If any replay gain info is already present (album gain, track gain or both) it will be overwritten. The album and track gain will be calculated based on the audio, just like mp3gain did in the first place. The actual audio wasn't touched so almost the same, if not identical, values will probably be calculated as with mp3gain.

Reread my original post. Maybe this will help. If you do a gain in mp3gain, it will apply the gain to the mp3 through a data that is inherent in every mp3 that states the gain, then it will add its own seperate meta data tag stating what gain it changed, then in addition it will put a seperate replaygain tag onto the mp3. That tag will ALWAYS be < .75db < . The purpose of this is to make up for the less accurate 1.5 db steps of gain that is applied to the mp3 through the inherint mp3 data. When foobar2000 writes a tag, you lose the meta-data that shows what mp3gain has applied to the mp3, however, the actual gain change still stays there, but you don't ever know what amount of gain was changed. Thus creates a problem as I explained earlier.

Reply #8
Reread my original post. Maybe this will help. If you do a gain in mp3gain, it will apply the gain to the mp3 through a data that is inherent in every mp3 that states the gain, then it will add its own seperate meta data tag stating what gain it changed, then in addition it will put a seperate replaygain tag onto the mp3. That tag will ALWAYS be < .75db < . The purpose of this is to make up for the less accurate 1.5 db steps of gain that is applied to the mp3 through the inherint mp3 data. When foobar2000 writes a tag, you lose the meta-data that shows what mp3gain has applied to the mp3, however, the actual gain change still stays there, but you don't ever know what amount of gain was changed. Thus creates a problem as I explained earlier.
[/quote]

I see.
I think you are right, you lost the differences in the tracks of the same album...but you said you got all of the songs seperately so there is not telling if they were right in the first place.