Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Any decent sub £50 power amps (Read 3830 times) previous topic - next topic

Any decent sub £50 power amps

I'm wanting a power amp for listening in my garage. Anything decent under around £50 new, or am I better buying secondhand? I'd want at least 20W for when I want to turn the volume up, but otherwise I'm easy. I don't need a volume control (listening from a chromecast audio) but something with the option to get the input level would be handy, so I don't risk damaging the speakers if the chromecast makes a noise at full volume.

There are a lot of imported mini amps going cheap on ebay. Have any of these been measured/tested and found decent? Or anything else worth looking at new?

Re: Any decent sub £50 power amps

Reply #2
Thanks! That looks interesting, though the quoted 25W into 8ohms is with 10% THD. Wonder what the max output would be with THD low enough to be inaudible...

Reply #3
Ended up getting an old Cambridge Audio A1 with change from £30 - assuming it arrives in decent working order, should be adequate enough and give me a bit more effective power when I want to turn the volume up... Thanks for the ideas, though!

Reply #4
Wonder what the max output would be with THD low enough to be inaudible...
In your garage??
I highly doubt you would notice anything with a large number of those inexpensive Asian mini-amps.
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #5
Fair point! Though my garage is usually really quite quiet (bar music playing) - I use it for working out in, rather than car repairs etc...