Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Making media keys only function when Focused, rather than always. (Read 999 times) previous topic - next topic

Making media keys only function when Focused, rather than always.

I originally posted this in Support, re-read the rules, and realized that I put it in the wrong place. I'm also new to the forums so I'm trying to figure out how to delete that one. Sorry!

I've got a nice playlist on shuffle, but for gaming-purposes I use 'next track' bound to a mouse button for my push-to-talk for a variety of programs (This doesn't interfere with any games or applications, hence using it). However, of course, the one program it interferes with is Foobar - normally someone would want their Media Keys to work when using other software, however I would like the inverse.

I can 'get this to happen' sometimes when just opening Foobar, where the media keys only work when I am focused on Foobar, but it's not reliable (It just happens randomly). This sounds like a bug but it's not much of an issue, but it's ironically what I want to happen. I wondered if this was a permissions thing, but not a clue.

Is there any way to get this to work native to foobar? I've tried, for example, binding the next-track key to 'do nothing' in foobar, but that somehow breaks my push-to-talk in a variety of programs (And of course doesn't let me use the media keys whatsoever).

Thanks in advance!

Re: Making media keys only function when Focused, rather than always.

Reply #1
Still looking for a solution - currently I just open and close Foobar as many times as necessary until the bug occurs and Foobar doesn't respond to the media keys unless focused on (Which I want, to be clear. Normally it responds without focus.)

Reply #2
As noted, I'm new to foobar and the forums in general - I don't know the rules in regards to bumping posts or whatnot.

I'm still looking for a solution - on average I have to open and close foobar 40 times before the bug occurs that allows me to do what I need. It's incredibly frustrating, as it's just tedious and entirely random as to whether or not the bug occurs.

Are there any components, anything, that could possibly fulfill what I need?

Reply #3
Disable media key processing and universal volume control integration. Then assign the media keys as keyboard shortcuts making sure the "Global hotkey" checkbox remains unchecked.

Reply #4
Disable media key processing and universal volume control integration. Then assign the media keys as keyboard shortcuts making sure the "Global hotkey" checkbox remains unchecked.

My savior! You're the best! Thank you very much, and once again apologies if I disrupted the forums with bumping or whatever it's called.

This changes everything! <3