Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC 24bit 192khz file playback: Only 44.1 khz on DAC (Read 1178 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC 24bit 192khz file playback: Only 44.1 khz on DAC

Hi,

I am new to fb2k and also rather new to digital audio, so please bare with me if I ask silly questions.

My setup: Win10, ASIO driver (from Cambridge Audio), Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200M 2.0

I downloaded some music files in FLAC format, 24bit, 192khz sampling rate. When I play them using fb2k, the DAC only shows 44,1 khz (LED and Control Panel App in Windows).

What can I do to send 192khz output do the DAC?

Thanks in advance,
Stefan B.

PS: I tried to serach the forums for this topic, but I did not find something matching. Maybe my bad...

Re: FLAC 24bit 192khz file playback: Only 44.1 khz on DAC

Reply #1
The operating system mixes the various sound sources together for output, so has to resample to a common rate (or demand that the sources use a common rate).  To achieve what you want you will need to assign FB2K (or whatever) exclusive output.  I'm sure somebody more knowledgable will be along to explain how...
It's your privilege to disagree, but that doesn't make you right and me wrong.

Reply #2
https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/row/en/products/hi-fi/dacmagic/dacmagic-200m
That's your DAC, check "TECH SPECS" for "DIGITAL INPUT SAMPLING FREQUENCIES SUPPORTED".

A clean install of foobar2000 includes WASAPI output only, and is set to shared mode by default, which will resample to the sample rate set in the Windows sound settings.

In foobar2000 Preferences > Playback > Output > Device, select one of the [exclusive] outputs (which is WASAPI Event); those outputs will not resample, and so your device has to support the audio's sampling rate.

To use an ASIO output, you have to install this component:
https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_asio

Reply #3
https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/row/en/products/hi-fi/dacmagic/dacmagic-200m
That's your DAC, check "TECH SPECS" for "DIGITAL INPUT SAMPLING FREQUENCIES SUPPORTED".

"44.1kHz to 768kHz PCM, Native DSD 64x to 512x, DoP 64x to 256x (USB)"

I see no problem there.
It's your privilege to disagree, but that doesn't make you right and me wrong.

Reply #4
ASIO isn't supposed to resample but from what I could find, Cambridge does not provide an ASIO driver.

You'll have to figure-out how to configure Windows for "Exclusive Mode".

Reply #6
Wow, so much feedback, I am impressed.

The Cambridge USB 2.0 driver's documentation has a big ASIO logo on the front page, the driver download link is here: https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/sites/default/files/compliance/doc/USB2.0%20driver%20v5.27.0%20%282%29.zip (for information).

I guess the replies #1 and #2 hit the spot, I will try to circumvent Windows mixing functiions as suggested, and I will report about the results.

Thanks a lot!

Stefan B.

Reply #7
You don't have to do anything with Windows, exclusive outputs like WASAPI Exclusive and ASIO automatically bypass the Windows mixer. They are called bit-perfect outputs.

Reply #8
Understood, I did not mean to manipulate Windows, but to look for a setting in FB2K to bypass the mixer.

Preference / Playback / Output: "Lautsprecher (2- CA DacMagic) [exclusive]" did the trick. "Lautsprecher" is German for "Speaker".
"ASIO: CA USBAudio ASIO Driver" works as well, but "Default: Primary Sound Driver does not.

Thanks again!
Stefan B.

Reply #9
You may check the 24bit file and make sure all 24 stems are used.
EZ CD Audio Converter / FLAC or WavPack

Reply #10
Some of these replies concerning wasapi exclusive made things sound a lot more mysterious than they really are.

To have Windows allow exclusive mode when asked for by an application using it, just be sure your Sound settings look like the below, which in my experience have already been the default settings of a Windows installation.  Foobar v2 will use wasapi exclusive if you select one of its Output choices that has "[exclusive]" at the end of it.  That's it!  Your DAC may be able to defeat that internally in some way, but that's where we part ways  ???  .