Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How do you test SACD audio dynamic range? (Read 2418 times) previous topic - next topic

How do you test SACD audio dynamic range?

I have the 2024 Steely Dan - Aja new release from Acoustic Sounds Analogue Productions.

I can get the DSF files from disk, but I'm facing that the audio level can be easily manipulated by changing the volume [db] 0 - +6.
Can you get an honest dynamic range from SACD? 🤔
EZ CD Audio Converter / FLAC or WavPack

Re: How do you test SACD audio dynamic range?

Reply #1
I have the 2024 Steely Dan - Aja new release from Acoustic Sounds Analogue Productions.

I can get the DSF files from disk, but I'm facing that the audio level can be easily manipulated by changing the volume [db] 0 - +6.
Can you get an honest dynamic range from SACD? 🤔

Good old and much hated DRmeter plugin for foobar will measure it and even write the DR to tag. But it only works in 32bit version of Foobar.
Replaygains also works - from that you can get True Peak, LUFS and PLR.
It works on SACDiso so probably on DSF and DFF too.

Reply #2
My stroked head. 🤦
I never would have thought of using Replaygain on DSF files.

X

Reply #3

Reply #4
I extract SACD ISO to .dsf then compress with WavPack in DSD mode. That goes into 32 bit foobar and is RG scanned and DR scanned. I don't use the DR component for a truthful indication of dynamic range; it's to get a sense of whether or not a particular release is similar or exact match to another.