Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Andre Wiethoff releases Easy Audio Copy (Read 62141 times) previous topic - next topic

Andre Wiethoff releases Easy Audio Copy

Reply #25
You might want to reconsider your attitude towards providing feedback about things if you want any of them ever to get any better.

Please apologize my attitude. I gave my feedback, but I cannot give more for something which I do not find useful and is difficult to use for me. On the other hand, this program is not free. Do you mean I shoul buy it and ask the developper what I would like?
I'm not a programmer and I know nothing about. I have been helping some programmers with translations in french.
About the bar codes, here is the image. May be it's not a bar code? Or an old code dated 2003.

Reply #26
I gave my feedback, but I cannot give more for something which I do not find useful and is difficult to use for me.
I totally understand, but what I meant was that your feedback is a lot more likely to be useful if it is delivered to the developer, rather than hoping he visits this unofficially affiliated site. Even just dropping an email with a link to this thread. Having said that, my final paragraph below will show that to be unnecessary in this case.

On the other hand, this program is not free. Do you mean I shoul buy it and ask the developper what I would like?
Not at all. I presume Andre is reasonable enough to consider constructive feedback from users who have not paid. I would like to think that was at least part of the motivation for providing a free trial in the first place.

About the bar codes, here is the image. May be it's not a bar code? Or an old code dated 2003.
The alphanumeric code is, as indicated by its inclusion of the first three letters of the name of the label, just the catalogue number issued by the label. The barcode in reality maps to some other, solely numeric string. This is an issue to take up with the record company/printer, not Andre.

Reply #27
Thanks for the image.

@korth:
If you're communicating with Andre, maybe you can suggest that he open up the bar code restrictions, assuming this would help identify a greater number of discs?

I'm on his distro list, but haven't had the time or resources to participate, ignoring the fact that I'm completely burned out on DAE and wonder what kind of future it has as the world of digital media distribution has changed so radically over the last half-dozen years.

Reply #28
The alphanumeric code is, as indicated by its inclusion of the first three letters of the name of the label, just the catalogue number issued by the label. The barcode in reality maps to some other, solely numeric string. This is an issue to take up with the record company/printer, not Andre.

I wondered about this, but since I am in no position to translate the bar code, I didn't feel comfortable commenting.

Reply #29
There are, in fact, types of barcodes that encode alphanumerics. The barcode shown is not, however, a UPC code, which are always just numeric.

Reply #30
So, it can search by bar code... the bar code I have on the cd is with numbers and 3 letters. But he likes only numbers.

If you have a CD with a bar codes on the back cover that contains letters I'd love to see it.  Traditionally they only contain numbers.

Not even traditionally. When catalogers and taggers talk about "barcode," they're generally referring to the UPC-A, which is a standardized system complete with check digits.

However, as pdq mentioned, that isn't using UPC, so probably wouldn't show up in whatever EZAC is searching anyway.

Reply #31
This looks like a cash-in on the strength of Exact Audio Copy's strong reputation.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. There could be plenty of potential users who would want something simpler to set up than E(xact)AC, and if some are willing to pay to get the same thing except with less hassle ... if Wiethoff starts making money from his lengthy efforts on secure ripping it would IMO be well deserved. And from the laziness of others? Don't moralize.

It strikes me that EAC is taking a different approach than dBpoweramp, which has an easy UI in the free version as well but charges for the more secure ripping modes. Of course EAC could not choose that approach as the secure ripping is already given away.

Reply #32
ignoring the fact that I'm completely burned out on DAE and wonder what kind of future it has as the world of digital media distribution has changed so radically over the last half-dozen years.
I have the same sentiment, with respect to the advent of Spotify and digital music distribution. Looking at my acquaintances, nobody uses dedicated ripping tools like EAC, still. The few people who still buy CDs occasionally just let iTunes/WMP handle the ripping. And there are services like Amazon AutoRip which make manual ripping completely unnecessary (for non-lossless-ripping "normal" users).

On the other hand, I consider DAE for myself a solved problem. The ripping software is not important, the two ingredients to acquire a perfect rip are error-free media in good condition, and AccurateRip.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #33
error-free media in good condition, and AccurateRip.

As people are getting rid of their CD collections, others might take the opportunity to buy for cheap lots of music on error-prone media in doubtful condition. Though I cannot imagine secure ripping becoming less of a niche product than it has been.

As for ripping software being important or not ... the feature of cross-pressing AR verification might be.

Reply #34
For me cross-pressing verification has been important for quite a long time. IIRC, I was doing it with EAC when CUETools was just a splitter/joiner by a dude named Moitah, TripleFlac didn't exist, and even possibly before dBpoweramp had a secure ripping mode.

The point is that it was a built-in feature with the first AR dll.  Additional software has made it easier, but wasn't exactly necessary.

Reply #35
There are, in fact, types of barcodes that encode alphanumerics. The barcode shown is not, however, a UPC code, which are always just numeric.

I managed to read the barcode after some brightness/contrast manipulation. The code maps to "ave0027-2". Format: CODE_128. Type: TEXT.

Reply #36
I managed to read the barcode after some brightness/contrast manipulation. The code maps to "ave0027-2". Format: CODE_128. Type: TEXT.

I did not understand how to. Anyway I cannot make a trial, as I have no more the program installed.

@db1989
you made me feel so selfish and stupid that I'll take the time to send an email to Andre (support_at_easyaudiocopy.de) giving the link of this discussion.

Reply #37
I'll take the time to send an email to Andre (support_at_easyaudiocopy.de) giving the link of this discussion.

If it has to do with the bar code, there probably is no point since...
The barcode shown is not [...] a UPC code
so probably wouldn't show up in whatever EZAC is searching anyway.

Reply #38
I received an email from Andre. He is aware of this thread but did not say if he would continue to read it.
korth

Reply #39
@db1989
you made me feel so selfish and stupid that I'll take the time to send an email to Andre (support_at_easyaudiocopy.de) giving the link of this discussion.
I’m sorry. That was never my intention. I was just mentioning why I thought letting Andre know would be constructive and not too difficult. I never meant to insult you.

Anyway, it seems that what I said about the barcode not representing the alphanumeric code was wrong, so I’m the one who’s stupid here.

Reply #40
I did not take it as an insult!
And no...you are not stupid. Let me this privilege

Reply #41
I just registered on this forum specifically to comment on this thread about Easy Audio Copy. I have been interested in computer audio for some years but compared to most am still inexperienced. (My audio history goes back to GL101).

I started to rip all my CDs (via WMP) to NAS. I did not know which format to use but understood to use at least a lossless codec so chose WMA lossless. My NAS then broke down (with maybe 120GB audio files) so I started all over again with new NAS. I then got 2 different network players (a TV set top box, then a couple of months ago a Marantz M-CR603) but had some files playing and some not. I could not work out why. Eventually, I worked out and Marantz support confirmed that it would only play WMA up to 320kbps and not WMA lossless. It would, however, play FLAC or WAV lossless.

So - and this brings me to the point of this post - I tested WAV ripped via WMP and it worked. Then came the step into FLAC. I knew I should try it but how? dbPoweramp? Foobar2000, jRiver? Some are players, some are rippers etc etc. I found EAC and it has very good profile from people I can see are experts - but it just looks very geeky (another way of saying for experts who know what they are doing). I do not have spare time or IQ enough to be confident with EAC. So I leave the subject. Some days later I google this thread which says the same developer of EAC has released Easy Audio Copy - I am very interested in an easy way of getting the quality I understand in theory from EAC.

I download, try and it works first time. I also (via xiph) find the way to add FLAC to WMP and that works too. So I am happy. The only thing Easy Audio Copy does not do directly is let me change the default save folder but  I will try the advanced settings thing later.

Maybe the EZAC is perhaps too unconfigurable and simplistic but I would say that it got me started when I have been too nervous to try anything else other than WMP for years. I will happily pay a reasonable sum when the free period is ended because good development should get paid for.

So for me it does exactly what I wanted and maybe it will help other users into this field by making it easy to get started.

Sorry for the length of this first post but thought it might be useful to explain why, for me anyway, Easy Audio Copy is a solution.

Reply #42
so chose WMA lossless.
[...]
So - and this brings me to the point of this post - I tested WAV ripped via WMP and it worked. Then came the step into FLAC. I knew I should try it but how? dbPoweramp? Foobar2000, jRiver? Some are players, some are rippers etc etc.

That last sentence ... are you talking about playback, conversion or re-ripping of what you lost (not having backed up, hmmmm?)?

Reply #43
I'm disappointed that after more than ten years of EAC development, he knocks this thing out in a couple of months and offers it for sale. I understand that maybe the super-simplified UI makes some sense, but this software just points up how little development has gone into improving EAC over the years.

I'd gladly pay $30 for EAC if it had a finished, 2010's style user interface, actual Help, some coherent English translations and a bit more thought put into workflow. Also, knowing that there would be some effort put into enhancements and fixing bugs rather than random updates every year or two.

With a little more work, seems to me the two could have been combined into one commercial product. That is, EAC with an option (which could be enabled by default) of having this dead-simple UI, but with the ability to enable the advanced interface and tools of EAC. I'm sure they must share a significant amount of code.

Reply #44
While I sympathize with the spirit of that post, I'm pretty sure the new program was written in a completely different language.  When asked about those types of improvements a number of years ago, Andre basically said he would need to start from scratch, IIRC.

The reason for the program being payware was already mentioned in this thread.

Reply #45
On inspection its coded in C#. Heavily obfuscated. Calls a C++ DLL which does ALL the dirty work of ripping.

Reply #46
so chose WMA lossless.
[...]
So - and this brings me to the point of this post - I tested WAV ripped via WMP and it worked. Then came the step into FLAC. I knew I should try it but how? dbPoweramp? Foobar2000, jRiver? Some are players, some are rippers etc etc.

That last sentence ... are you talking about playback, conversion or re-ripping of what you lost (not having backed up, hmmmm?)?

First step was to find a way to rip new CDs into flac (which is what I use EZAC for), I then needed to work out whether to re-rip from scratch or if some converter would work (so I tested dbPoweramp). I liked both EZAC and dbPoweramp for these purposes so I paid for both of them! And yes, you're right I should have backed them up but it was my NAS backup device (where I kept my music also so all network devices could see it) that failed. So after that, I now keep the main copy on a PC and backup to the NAS (and occasionally copy the music folder somewhere else.

Reply #47
Absolutely a good decision of Andre, the need and market for a soft like this is given if it's about CDs, novices will appreciate it.
Modern, attractive, simple UI, powerfull engine, better out-of-the-box-experience without messing around with zillion of options.
I often found myself answering questions of acquaintances for ripping, encoding, tagging, album art, and even though there are a lot of powerfull progs, most are not recommendable without borrow further support.

Reply #48
Absolutely a good decision of Andre, the need and market for a soft like this is given if it's about CDs, novices will appreciate it.
Modern, attractive, simple UI, powerfull engine, better out-of-the-box-experience without messing around with zillion of options.
I often found myself answering questions of acquaintances for ripping, encoding, tagging, album art, and even though there are a lot of powerfull progs, most are not recommendable without borrow further support.

Indeed!  I messed with EAC and was a tad overwhelmed.  I will be posting a review of Easy Audio Copy on this site in just a minute!

Reply #49
It's a shame. I browse a half dozen different computer audio forums in addition to this one, and I've yet to see Easy Audio Copy recommended (except by me) to anyone getting into ripping their CD collections.

Exact Audio Copy was first, and that position has kept it going even up through today, even with no new development, a horrible user interface, and no marketing. Easy Audio Copy cannot do the same with no marketing and no word of mouth. Few people have ever heard of it.