Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [bug] Simple search can not find file by filename (Read 3381 times) previous topic - next topic

[bug] Simple search can not find file by filename

Foobar 2000 v2.0 beta 12 [x64], Windows 10 x64 21H1 19043.985.

Basically everything in title. There is file almost without metadata fields and I can't find it in playlist (even if playlist contains only one this file) by it filename.

Query Syntax Help:
The simple search mode does not use any keywords. Returns only items that have all words from specified string in their metadata or file path. But it's not. Even if I copy full filepath with filename, paste to search field and remove everything but filename if won't find track

Here screens:
https://ibb.co/p2Qq0jf
https://ibb.co/kS1tkVP
https://ibb.co/4ZysxxP
https://ibb.co/1qkQQmT
https://ibb.co/VDLCmHW
https://ibb.co/23G0zkm
https://ibb.co/0MYKKbd

Also added video.

Re: [bug] Simple search can find file by filename

Reply #1
%filename% IS filename
from syntax reference.
%filename%    Name of file, excluding directory path and extension.

Reply #2
I know that I can search with fields from metadata like "%filename% HAS ****".
But it doesn't change fact that simple query should find words from file path, doesn't?

Because if you open properties of file in foobar2000 and change to Details tab you will see that file path also contains filename (and full folder path+name).

Reply #3
You think this is a bug and not intended behavior?

Reply #4
Well there is a change in behaviour since v1.x What the OP is doing works fine there.

Obviously the library/playlist back end is massively different in v2 and while best efforts are probably being made to make the same queries return the same results, there are going to be teething problems. All you can do is report issues as you find them and hope they will be addressed in a future release or there will be documentation/changelog entries to explain why it might not be possible.

Reply #5
Actually, simple text search in v2 can find NOTHING! For example, i type some artist name that is in library like
Code: [Select]
"Artist"
and it returns nothing. In 1.6.12 it works as expected.

Reply #6
Can somebody from mods change title of topic. I made stupid typo and didn't notice.
[bug] Simple search can't find file by filename

You think this is a bug and not intended behavior?
Yes, I definitely think that this is a bug. That's why I added description from help, because feature doesn't do that it should according to help article.

Well there is a change in behaviour since v1.x What the OP is doing works fine there.

Obviously the library/playlist back end is massively different in v2 and while best efforts are probably being made to make the same queries return the same results, there are going to be teething problems. All you can do is report issues as you find them and hope they will be addressed in a future release or there will be documentation/changelog entries to explain why it might not be possible.

Thank you. I agree. So here we are with bug. Or need change help article to describe new search system and why it can't find by filename with simple search.

Reply #8
This is annoying. I used to append "\rock\metallica" additionally after "enter sandman" just to search only in metallica's own albums and now it's gone. Is it something that many people complained about or why change something good and fuctional?

Reply #9
also, we are not in 1999 anymore, get DISCORD and not this stupid forum

Nice, then why are you here on this "stupid forum"? Coming here asking for help and pissing on the forum. Smart.

Reply #10
Nice, then why are you here on this "stupid forum"? Coming here asking for help and pissing on the forum. Smart.
There have been several low-count posters (maybe all the same person?) trying to promote Discord, I have no idea why they think anyone else would be interested in moving a single-subject special interest forum to social media (which is dominated by only the very latest chat and old information gets lost).  I'm on a couple of groups on Facebook (no conventional forum alternative), and as a means to discuss and document they're crap.

BTW: Would a moderator please correct the thread title?  PLEASE!
It's your privilege to disagree, but that doesn't make you right and me wrong.

Reply #11
I have also noticed this searching behaviour, I don't think it's an improvement personally so I'm hoping it'll be addressed in future. In version 1 I had a setup that would produce the same search results regardless of whether I used the quicksearch component or the default library search, it worked well in 99% of cases.

also, we are not in 1999 anymore, get DISCORD and not this stupid forum

I don't see it as a binary choice, however there is a Discord server that was made recently, being used by several of us currently, though it doesn't (yet?) have the blessing of the foobar2000 community at large. You can find it here if you are interested.

There have been several low-count posters (maybe all the same person?) trying to promote Discord, I have no idea why they think anyone else would be interested in moving a single-subject special interest forum to social media (which is dominated by only the very latest chat and old information gets lost).

It is bizarre that you assume duplicitousness & foul play about those who find Discord a useful platform. Many of us are adults with commitments who can't remain chained to a home desktop computer, much as we may like to! Platforms like IRC and web forums aren't nearly as accessible via mobile apps. It's fair enough if you aren't personally interested, but it is bogus to assume those that are interested are bad actors.

Your latter point about information being lost is untrue; Discord messages are not lost other than on rare occasions where they are deliberately deleted by the user or administration, and there are robust server searching options to find old information. Regardless, you are comparing apples to oranges. Discord needn't be a replacement for forums - they can (and do) co-exist. The fairer comparison is to the aforementioned IRC, which doesn't have search, messages are ephemeral there unless one stays connected 24/7 and manages their own chatlogs, and mobile IRC clients are invariably impractical and/or won't offer such features, whereas Discord shares the same ecosystem between desktop & mobile, so it is possible to move seamlessly between the two with minimal disturbance. Even that isn't necessarily an issue though because bots to relay messages between IRC and Discord do exist.

Reply #12
I just had to register to this forum because of this stupid bug.
if this was intentional, it was the WRONG call
Stupid developer acknowledges annoyance level of the change and promises fix.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #13
I just had to register to this forum because of this stupid bug.
if this was intentional, it was the WRONG call
Stupid developer acknowledges annoyance level of the change and promises fix.

glory to the developer for fixing it! make it high prio please, I cant see a lot of my songs.

Re: [bug] Simple search can not find file by filename

Reply #14
Addressed in beta 14.

Reply #15
We are the bork. Your software bugs will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.
Are the Bork even more dangerous than the Borg?

Reply #16
still the same issue.

can view the files if using view "by folder structure", and clicking the directory, but filter still wont show up files without tags. 

Reply #17
I don't get it to work either - despite adding new folders to scan afresh.
(Beta 14 now has a checkbox under Advanced to index search paths, and it was enabled by default.)

Reply #18
Works in library search - there's a separate bug that breaks it in Album List. Fixed for beta 15, thanks for reporting.

Reply #19
But what about simple search using double quotation marks? Is it gone?

Reply #20
Suggestion, to narrow down hits and maybe please both those who want path to be part of it:

* HAS blahblah searches in tags and path (as does presumably a mere blahblah)
** HAS blahblah searches in tags only

Or the other way around.

Reply #21
Works in library search - there's a separate bug that breaks it in Album List. Fixed for beta 15, thanks for reporting.

Hi. Beta v16, just checked and indeed, works fine for #1 post situation.
And here is some feedback (I don't remember was it same for 1.6.* versions so just couple thought)

https://ibb.co/yFxmD5T
https://ibb.co/m0YbyQk

First screenshot, it's fine, I guess. Looks like 3rd track more 'fit' to search request because title contains "it" and "now" words and somewhere in metadata\path. But second one pop up as result because it metadata\path (for example, path has "download" folder) contains words that that contain part of the query (like "do" in "download" folder).

You can see it more clearly at second screenshot. First track appears as a search result only because query is part of words in metadata\file path (and not independent words). Well maybe you will think to add to roadmap some kind search sort where more more suitable results will appear at top (e.g tracks that contains words "do" and "it" will appear before tracks where "do" and "it" only parts of words).

Also quotes marks works as intended ("do it now" query will have only one track in result). Thank you.