Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MAC bitstream errors (Read 6000 times) previous topic - next topic

MAC bitstream errors

After Reading everyones comments on what is the perfered way to compress my files I decided to go with a lossless encoder monkey.  However I Ripped two Cds and both came out with bitstream errors.  I must be doing something wrong or I am graetly disapointed.  I am using EAC .09 b3 - Monkey 3.96
Any suggestions?

Some peolple see things as they are and ask Why.  I dream of things that never were and say why not.
What if the Hokey Pokey....is What it's all about?

MAC bitstream errors

Reply #1
Are you using overclocked system?
Juha Laaksonheimo

MAC bitstream errors

Reply #2
JohnV
Not quite sure I know what overclocking is.
If you are refering to overclocking my CPU the answer to that is no

MAC bitstream errors

Reply #3
Originally posted by smg
After Reading everyones comments on what is the perfered way to compress my files I decided to go with a lossless encoder monkey.  However I Ripped two Cds and both came out with bitstream errors.  I must be doing something wrong or I am graetly disapointed.  I am using EAC .09 b3 - Monkey 3.96
Any suggestions?

Where in the process are you getting bitstream errors?  Are you using secure ripping mode on your drive?  I recall geetting a different message from the sync error meessage I get in secure mode when I was using a speed mode.  Is this what you mean, or is the monkey encoding process telling you there are errors?

G

MAC bitstream errors

Reply #4
gdougherty

I have tried to extract and compress with EAC using ext. Monkey
everything went well no errors reported.  When I tried to play in Winamp some of the songs started then I got an error message
"Monkey audio encountered an error at 0:03 while decompressing the file....

Please insure you are using the latest version of Monkey audio.  If this error persist using the latest version of Monkey audio, it is likey the file has become corrupt.

Use the option 'ignore bitstream errors' in the plugin settings to not recieve this warning when Monkey audio encounter an error while decompressing."

I've tried extracting only then going into Monkey and compressing from there and some of the songs came up same error.

Never incontered this before with lame the only thing i changed in my settings were ext compressor.  setting is normal mode

MAC bitstream errors

Reply #5
I have to ask, are you using correct version of Winamp's plugin? You probably need version 3.96.

MAC bitstream errors

Reply #6
Originally posted by smg
gdougherty

I have tried to extract and compress with EAC using ext. Monkey
everything went well no errors reported.  When I tried to play in Winamp some of the songs started then I got an error message
"Monkey audio encountered an error at 0:03 while decompressing the file....

So 3.96 should have installed the latest winamp plugin.  Do you have any other minor system instabilities?  If you use the Monkey's program to decompress the problem files to wave, does that work?

MAC bitstream errors

Reply #7
I am using Monkey 3.96 and when I decompress the .ape to .wav
the file is messed up at the beginning however I reripped with EAC and lame no problems reripped with EAC and Monkey errors once again.  Eveything else on my system is working perfectly.

MAC bitstream errors

Reply #8
is id3v2 tagging enabled in your EAC?

i guess this would break any MAC bitstream..
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.

MAC bitstream errors

Reply #9
I recommend you verify your system is working properly. One good way is to archive 100MB+ with WinAce and try to decompress the created archive. If there are problems you are in trouble. If you use VIA chipset you could try installing latest Via-4-in-1 drivers, that chipset sometimes corrupts data. Other thing you could try is to underclock your computer. If that solves your problem you should check your bios settings, some timings might be too aggressive.

MAC bitstream errors

Reply #10
Trust me guys i know everyone is trying to help me with my problem however my system is running perfect.  Absolutely no problems ever before and still no problems with system it is something that i'm doing wrong with Monkey.  EAC works perfectly with all other encoders.  Monkey is the problem....settings something.with the program itself

I think I'll go back to lame  --alt preset extreme, Unless someone has something better.  I like the consept of lossless

MAC bitstream errors

Reply #11
Originally posted by smg
EAC works perfectly with all other encoders.  Monkey is the problem....settings something.with the program itself 

I still guess it's id3v2 tags which are breaking your stream. have you tried to disable any tagging in EAC?
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.

MAC bitstream errors

Reply #12
Thanks everyone for your assitance with my problem with Monkey
It has to be the program.  I ripped a Cd with EAC in uncompressed mode.  Examed each .wav...perfect.  Went to Monkey GUI and compressed them in normal mode....same problem with 4 out of 12 songs.  uncompressed them in EAC and reexamed the .wav...sure enough Monkey compression had corrupted the files.  I started to get furstrated with the program.  I still like the concept of lossless compression.  any suggestions.  I quess if I have to i'll go back to trouble free LAME.  Only problem is since I started reading this forum I've got an education, and in the back of my mind nothing, will sound good unless I have the best.

MAC bitstream errors

Reply #13
I repeat, check that your system really is working well. I had a partially fried motherboard and it behaved just like you describe. Normal programs work, I could even play games with the computer but decompressing large archives always gave CRC errors. Only way to get the system stable was to underclock it a lot. Well optimized programs that require lots of memory bandwidth to operate can reveal unpleasant thruths about broken systems.

MAC bitstream errors

Reply #14
Originally posted by smg
Thanks everyone for your assitance with my problem with Monkey
It has to be the program.  I ripped a Cd with EAC in uncompressed mode.  Examed each .wav...perfect.  Went to Monkey GUI and compressed them in normal mode....same problem with 4 out of 12 songs.  uncompressed them in EAC and reexamed the .wav...sure enough Monkey compression had corrupted the files.  I started to get furstrated with the program.  I still like the concept of lossless compression.  any suggestions.  I quess if I have to i'll go back to trouble free LAME.  Only problem is since I started reading this forum I've got an education, and in the back of my mind nothing, will sound good unless I have the best.

Have you tried another lossless codec?  There's list of them here with links:

http://flac.sf.net/comparison.html

Josh