Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How do you install Rubyripper! (Read 7173 times) previous topic - next topic

How do you install Rubyripper!

Venturing out into the unknown world Linux.  I need help with installing Rubyripper on system using Ubuntu 8.04.  I have no experience with Linux and need help..Please post any info about how to install.  Thanks

Reply #1
You can download the source code from the googlecode website.

Then extract into a temporary directory using the built-in archive manager or from the command line by opening a terminal window (Applications->Accessories->Terminal)

# tar xjf rubbyripper-0.5.3.tar.bz2

Then from the readme file:

Code: [Select]
3. HOW TO INSTALL

Dependencies:
* cdparanoia
* ruby-gettext (for translations)

Suggested:
* ruby-gtk2 (for gtk2 gui)
* cd-discid or discid (for proper freedb support)
* eject or diskutil for MacOS (for eject support)
* flac, oggenc, lame (if the codec is wanted)
* wavgain, vorbisgain, mp3gain (for replaygain support)
* normalize (for normalize support)

Run from directory:
(1) ./rubyripper_gtk2.rb or
(1) ./rubyripper_cli.rb

To install:
(1) ./configure --enable-lang-all --enable-gtk2 --enable-cli --prefix=/usr or
(1) ./configure --enable-lang=de,hu --enable-gtk2 --enable-cli --prefix=/usr
(2) make install
The executables will be named `rrip_cli` and `rrip_gui`

To uninstall: (1) `make uninstall`
To cleanup: (1) `make clean`

If you need to install some missing dependencies, use 'synaptic' or 'apt-get'.
Is your perfect hearing worth <$200? -- USE EAR PLUGS

Reply #2
i'll have a debian package available at rarewares soon. hold tight.

Reply #4
I updated the wiki to include Ubuntu 8.04 installation instructions. If anyone has any instructions on how to install it on Debian I would be glad to add those too. I also cleaned up the Rubyripper page so that it is now more "user-friendly" and up to date.

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti..._on_Ubuntu_8.04
budding I.T professional

Reply #5
This thread gives more "newbie friendly" instructions specific for Ubuntu users:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=799621

I managed to do it, so I am sure you will succeed also

Does that work for installing on a Mac?

I tried installing on a Rubyripper Mac a couple of years ago and ran into a couple of key missing Ubuntu components on the Mac .... I think ....
I was pretty impressed that I just managed to get Ubuntu up and running.

I'd be curious to hear how this works out.

Reply #6
Does that work for installing on a Mac?

I tried installing on a Rubyripper Mac a couple of years ago and ran into a couple of key missing Ubuntu components on the Mac .... I think ....
I was pretty impressed that I just managed to get Ubuntu up and running.

I'd be curious to hear how this works out.
Mac OS is based on BSD Unix, which is not Linux. I doubt that all the libraries Rubyripper needs are available for BSD/OSX.

Reply #7
Mac OS is based on BSD Unix, which is not Linux. I doubt that all the libraries Rubyripper needs are available for BSD/OSX.

I don't have a mac so I don't really know, but I really don't see why it shouldn't be possible...
For libraries it should basically require X11, GTK2 and Ruby. This is possible on mac  isn't it? Then it needs executables (not libraries) to do it's job; cdparanoia, optionally eject, flac, lame, oggenc, cd-discid, wavgain, vorbisgain, mp3gain, normalize...

You might need to use sometrhing like Macports or Fink to get the packages...
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Reply #8

I don't have a mac so I don't really know, but I really don't see why it shouldn't be possible...
For libraries it should basically require X11, GTK2 and Ruby. This is possible on mac  isn't it? Then it needs executables (not libraries) to do it's job; cdparanoia, optionally eject, flac, lame, oggenc, cd-discid, wavgain, vorbisgain, mp3gain, normalize...

You might need to use sometrhing like Macports or Fink to get the packages...

Going by my memory (not the smartest thing to go by), it was just a couple of the key executables that were missing.
I think they were something that was just waiting for someone to get around to writing them - also very hardware specific, like a PPC version.

I don't think I'll be going through all the trouble to try out Rubyripper - I think we're the process of getting all the secure ripping tools I could ever want on OSX - Just curious to hear how this is going.

Reply #9
Going by my memory (not the smartest thing to go by), it was just a couple of the key executables that were missing.
I think they were something that was just waiting for someone to get around to writing them - also very hardware specific, like a PPC version.

Some of those one could maybe compile oneself? Atleast for people on intel-macs. It would probably require installation of gmake and gcc and some develpackages with headerfiles for clib and such.... This is probably no big deal to install. But the again, I don't know mac, but as it runs on more or less a modified FreeBSD.....
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Reply #10
I tried to install in January and ran into problems that I reported here.

Rather stupidly I forgot about things but FWIW there's an alias to ruby in /usr/bin. The original is /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/ruby if that helps anyone.