Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New AccurateRip CD Drive Accuracy List for 2012 (Read 5012 times) previous topic - next topic

New AccurateRip CD Drive Accuracy List for 2012

Reply #1

10 years to the day, eh?

Reply #2
The winner doesn't surprise me. From my experience, drives based on Matshita/Panasonic (+102 in Accuraterip's list) chipset have superb error correction and good interpolation capabilites. I have a pair of badly pressed CD, very, very hard to rip properly in a lot of drives (Tested in drives based on Renesas, Mediatek, NEC). However, ripping such CDs is a piece of cake in a old Hitachi-LG slim DVD-ROM based on Panasonic chipset.

Reply #3
New sheriff in town?

Notably, Matshita has three drives in top 7. UJ-812, 852 and 85J. Are they technically the same?

and good interpolation capabilites

That wouldn't help the AccurateRip statistics. Besides, since interpolation occurs when music is actually missing, it is hard to improve over naive averaging.
However, interpolation artifacts may be less audible (or less annoying) simply because there is more correct to begin with, and less guesswork to do, and I would put my money on that explanation.

Reply #4
You are right. That feature has nothing to do with AccurateRip statistics, which only take into account accurate/non-accurate tracks dumped. However, it could be useful when you want to rip a CDS200, with artificial C2 errors. A sample, Tubular Bells 2003 protected release (European, CDS200 present) ripped by two drives, taking USA unprotected release as reference.wav:

A Matshita drive, UJ-220:
Code: [Select]
Errors total        Num : 6451
Errors (Loudness)   Num :   4490 - Avg :  -81.8 dB(A)   -  Max :  -33.5 dB(A)
Error Muting        Num :     25 - Avg :    1.0 Samples -  Max :      1 Samples
Skips               Num :      0 - Avg :    0.0 Samples -  Max :      0 Samples

Total Test Result       :   84.0 points (of 100.0 maximum)

A drive based on Mediatek chipset, Samsung SW-224B:
Code: [Select]
Errors total        Num : 79315
Errors (Loudness)   Num :   5919 - Avg :  -61.8 dB(A)   -  Max :  -19.0 dB(A)
Error Muting        Num :    140 - Avg :    1.2 Samples -  Max :      5 Samples
Skips               Num :      0 - Avg :    0.0 Samples -  Max :      0 Samples

Total Test Result       :   82.1 points (of 100.0 maximum)

Reply #6
The worst being Optiarc doesn't really surprise me, I had two of those drives and they'd just choke on some discs not able to rip them at all which is why I threw both of mine away and they were only a few months old.