Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MP3Pro Decoder? (Read 8711 times) previous topic - next topic

MP3Pro Decoder?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum...

I recently acquired some music which was in MP3Pro format. It came packaged with the decoder for Winamp... but I don't want to have to use Winamp just to play a few songs, I also downloaded the free MP3Pro Player to hear how good they sounded, but again I don't want to use a different player just for a few songs.

By the way, if anyone is familiar with MP3Pro I can play the files with foobar, they just sound like junk without the proper decoder.

So I would like to know if there is anyway to convert these into normal MP3s to make them sound like they should.

Or preferrably are there any MP3Pro decoders for Foobar which I may have overlooked. Or can any of the talented people here create one?

MP3Pro Decoder?

Reply #1
Sorry if this is the wrong forum...

I recently acquired some music which was in MP3Pro format. It came packaged with the decoder for Winamp... but I don't want to have to use Winamp just to play a few songs, I also downloaded the free MP3Pro Player to hear how good they sounded, but again I don't want to use a different player just for a few songs.

By the way, if anyone is familiar with MP3Pro I can play the files with foobar, they just sound like junk without the proper decoder.

So I would like to know if there is anyway to convert these into normal MP3s to make them sound like they should.

Or preferrably are there any MP3Pro decoders for Foobar which I may have overlooked. Or can any of the talented people here create one?

MP3 Pro decoder is probably not going to happen due to license issues.

I think you could transcode them to MP3 using Winamp diskwriter and extract them to WAV and then reencode to MP3 - they will sound worse, but you will be able to listen to them.

MP3Pro Decoder?

Reply #2
[deleted]

MP3Pro Decoder?

Reply #3
Sorry for being so dense, but I want to be able to play them with Foobar and get the quality enhancements. I can already play them, but they sound horrible. The Winamp plugin simply lets Winamp read them properly and give the enhanced quality. (Sorry I am wording this poorly...)

Here read this:
"About mp3PRO and compatibility:

Using advanced psychoacoustics techniques and music structure analysis, mp3PRO creates files that are more compact than original mp3 files, with equal or better sound quality and complete backwards and forwards compatibility. Your old mp3 files will play completely normally on a new mp3PRO player. New mp3Pro files will play normally on old mp3 players, but without the dramatic mp3Pro improvements. Of course, new mp3PRO files played on a new mp3PRO decoder will provide the optimal listening experience!

How the mp3PRO technology works:

When making an mp3PRO file, the new mp3PRO encoder splits audio recordings into two parts. One part analyzes the low frequency band information and encodes it into a normal mp3 stream. This allows the encoder to concentrate on less information and allows it to do a better job of encoding. This also maintains complete compatibility on old mp3 players. The second part analyzes the high frequency band information and encodes it into a part of the mp3 stream that is normally ignored by old mp3 decoders. New or upgraded mp3PRO decoders will tap into this part of the stream and put the two bands back together, resulting in the full audio bandwidth."

So since Foobar support is impossible? How would I go about converting them to WAV so that Foobar can play them at full quality?

MP3Pro Decoder?

Reply #4
Disk writer output.

MP3Pro Decoder?

Reply #5
Nope, all that did was give me a WAV that sounded the same as if I had played the file with Foobar. They sound much better when I use the free MP3Pro player.
http://www.mp3prozone.com/download.htm

So am I out of luck? Or does anyone else have some ideas?

MP3Pro Decoder?

Reply #6
Sheesh... wow I feel stupid now, can't believe I overlooked that, sorry guys...

"Can I convert mp3PRO and mp3 files directly into wav files with the Thomson Demo mp3PRO Player/Encoder?

The Thomson Demo mp3PRO Player/Encoder supports direct decoding into wav files. A menu offering the option "Write Decoded PCM File ..." will pop up, when you right click within the player window."

MP3Pro Decoder?

Reply #7
Right, you can use that or convert to WAV with Winamp's mp3pro plugin. Decoding without an mp3pro decoder won't work at all, because the standard mp3 decoder decodes only part of the stream, resulting in what seems like highly degraded quality. (Like 128 kbps to 32-64)

MP3Pro Decoder?

Reply #8
Isn't there any chance not to use an external MP3Prodecoder like that from WinAMP or CoolEdit Pro or anything else?

This should solve the license problem.

I don't really like the MP3 format, but a friend of me has a MP3pro online-radio, that sounds worse withot the pro support.
I already told him to use Ogg, but he doesn't want to change the system *grr*.

Regards
TKS

MP3Pro Decoder?

Reply #9
maybe if one could find mpeg 2.5 source files -  might help.
according to winamp, my music files are as so

song-AAC.aac    == MPEG 1.0 layer 1
song.mp2        == MPEG 1.0 layer 2
song-lame.mp3  == MPEG 1.0 layer 3
song-mp3pro.mp3 == MPEG 2.5 layer 3

MP3Pro Decoder?

Reply #10
[deleted]