Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Dynamics Compressor for FB2K (Read 32617 times) previous topic - next topic

Dynamics Compressor for FB2K

Reply #75
That sounds more like trackgain's job to me...

Reply #76
Any advice? I would think this plugin is the right one to achieve that, am I right?

To me it sounds like replaygain (trackgain) does what you want, but since I'm quite sure you know / have tried it already, I might have misunderstood what you want...

edit: oops ... (much) too slow
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Reply #77
Yep, I thought so, but then I tried selecting all my playlist, right-clicking, Replaygain > Scan per-file track gain, and got a bunch of errors about not being able to update the info in the files... Any hints?

In any case, I would like to still use a dynamics compressor to avoid problems with songs that have big differences in volume (not hearing the quiet passages).

But of course, the thing about trackgain is going a bit OT for this thread...

Reply #78
Ok, I am stupid, I was completely sure I had already unset the read-only flag on the files on my hard drive, but it turns out I hadn't... Now the scan track-gain operation works fine... Not surprising...

Reply #79
Yep, I thought so, but then I tried selecting all my playlist, right-clicking, Replaygain > Scan per-file track gain, and got a bunch of errors about not being able to update the info in the files... Any hints?

If you have database enabled, RG info for files without tags that can store replaygain information (e.g. .wav files) will be stored in fb2k's database. The "error message" just tell you that the RG info isn't written to the file directly, but fb2k will still be able to use it.

edit: didn't see your last reply when writing this one...
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Reply #80
Sorry about asking a stupid question but I want to listen to music in a noisy enviroment(for example doing the dishes while listening to music) and I want to hear detailes a little better, will the default setting do or could tweaking them be a good idea? Is the VLevel plugin better of worse than the Dynamic Compressor for the way I want to use it?

Reply #81
It's been a while! 

I understand that:
The 'Fast Compression Ratio' has a fast attack.
The 'Slow Compression Ratio' kicks in after -24.3 dB and the attack speed is much slower.

What I still don't get:
The 'Fast Compression Ratio' will not work independantly of The 'Slow Compression Ratio'. How does this work?
And how does this dependancy apply to the 'Release Time' slider?

I guess for now I can ignore the 'Fast Compression Ratio' since it destorys transients but I'd still like to know how this plugin works.

Reply #82
I don't really understand the question, I fear. This plugin is really two compressors working alongside each other.

Reply #83
I use vlevel when compressing my music to vorbis to listen at work (I'm a projectionist, and the projectors make an surprising amount of amount of noise.) I also use it at home; It's nice 'cause you don't have to mess around with the volume nearly as much. It's really handy with some classical music that has what might be considered an "excessive" amount of dynamic range, with some parts whisper quiet, and other full-blast loud.

Reply #84
Sorry to revive such an old topic, but (I'm still using Foobar 0.8.3) I'm playin' around with the dynamics compressor and I'm seeing the same 'problem' as previous posters (oudalrich & 2Bdecided).

On a track which start with a low volume and the suddenly becomes much louder, I got the good behaviour: the first part volume is increased and when arriving to the louder part, the perceived volume is still the same.

On a track that starts with a louder part then a quieter one, the volume doesn't increase (or very few) when arriving to the quieter one.

I tried different settings, without success. Did I miss something  or is it a limitation of this plugin?

Re: Dynamics Compressor for FB2K

Reply #85
I was resurrecting this old thread to see if I could find a basic explanation for each of the sliders in this DSP. Also, especially what settings have users found work best. I've seen a lot of posts talk around settings, without actually seeing any suggested settings posted.

I am trying to make my music "louder" in soft passages for use in the car. Sort of an FM radio effect. At home I always use all dynamic range available.