Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: In-Ear wired headphones recommendation  (Read 9137 times) previous topic - next topic

In-Ear wired headphones recommendation

Hi everybody.
I'd like to buy a pair of cheap wired In-Ear headphones (about 50$ budget, can be a bit more) which I'm going to use mostly outside. These are the features I'm looking after:

• Isolation (if possible low microphonics too)
  • Sound quality
  • Comfort (that's user dependent, I know)

What's your suggestion? Thanks in advance!

P.S. I don't need earbuds like the ones bundled with cheap smartphones because I've already got those...

Re: In-Ear wired headphones recommendation

Reply #1
AKG Y23

Small, light, good sound quality.
--------------------

Reply #2
I don't know about their more up-to-date models, but Sennheiser's MX range have always struck me as great value for money, in terms of SQ.

A pity the same couldn't be said of their build quality, as their cables didn't seem to be made for all the tugging and bending involved in the kind of use they're aimed at - for that reason alone, it looks like this new model seems to address this, more or less.
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #3
AKG Y23
Thanks. I've checked this model on local Amazon: it hasn't got lot's of reviews but the average score is quite low (< 2.5 stars). Honestly that leaves me a bit perplexed...

I don't know about their more up-to-date models, but Sennheiser's MX range have always struck me as great value for money, in terms of SQ.
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Other suggestions? (I need to buy new headphones because the model I had (AKG K376) was stolen).

P.S. I've just found this website which includes lots of reviews about headphones: is it trustworthy?

Reply #4
You should browse Head-Fi and see their reviews, that's all they do and it's great for that BUT, careful because dedicated forums have a lot of bias, for example knives forums will suggest you $400-$1000 knives even though a <$50 is perfectly capable of doing the same job and as durable and comfortable, probably even more comfortable actually since more expensive stuff uses harder handle materials etc. Anyway, all I am saying is I have tested $20 and $2000 headphones and my favorites are all between $50 and $200.

Reply #5
You should browse Head-Fi and see their reviews, that's all they do and it's great for that BUT, careful because dedicated forums have a lot of bias.
Will do, thanks.

Anyway, all I am saying is I have tested $20 and $2000 headphones and my favorites are all between $50 and $200.
Understood. If I may ask, what are your favorites IEMs in the 50-100$ price range?

BTW: I've seen many listings on eBay where the JVC "HA-FXT90" model is being sold for less than 30$ (shipped from Hong Kong/China). I assume those are counterfeits, am I right?

Reply #6
what are your favorites IEMs in the 50-100$ price range?
I don't remember, let me change that sentence to: my favorites used to be in that range. I haven't used headphones since my son was born 5 and 1/2 years ago, I had this feeling that he was going to choke and wouldn't be able to hear him and I never got any use for them again also I bought better computer speakers and I like speakers more anyway so...

I remember I used to have a pair of Audio-Technica (really like the brand) ATH-CKM500 WH (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-ath-ckm500-the-best-ckm-earphone-yet.607006/) IIRC.

Read this forum as well (not sure if it's updated), I was reading right around when I was doing IEMs research to buy good ones: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/multi-iem-review-352-iems-compared-pump-audio-earphones-added-04-03-16-p-1106.478568/

Reply #7
As I still haven't found a clear winner, I've decided I'll try a very cheap model which should also be decent and, if I'm not satisfied with that, I'll switch to a pricier one. The model I've chosen is the Xiaomi Piston 3 (which I've found available on AliExpress from Xiaomi's official store for about 8$, shipping included). I've read that it doesn't provide a very good isolation: maybe that can be improved by replacing the provided tips? (If that's true, what kind of tips would you recommend to me?).

Thanks in advance!

Reply #8
Well, I gave those away, I didn't like them at all. You can try cheap ones but you still have to try great grands. One of my favorite brands is Audio-Technica, they have quite cheap ones, also of course another great brand is Sennheiser but look into Sony, Philips, JVC, Koss for cheaper ones.

Did you check that link I sent you? They have good headphones for all prices.

Reply #9
Well, I gave those away, I didn't like them at all. You can try cheap ones but you still have to try great grands.
Do you remember what you didn't like about them?
I'll surely try bigger brands too if I'm not satisfied with the Xiaomi I've just bought (waiting for arrival) or if I find a (better) conclusive model in the meantime.
I'm quite inexperienced regarding in-ear, slightly more experienced about on-ear headphones as I've tried/used various brands like: AKG, Sennheiser, Koss.

Did you check that link I sent you? They have good headphones for all prices.
Sure, looks like theheadphonelist provides an updated and searchable list of the same kind. I've briefly visited Head-Fi and Reddit too (for opinions).

Thanks again.

Reply #10
I've decided I'll try a very cheap model which should also be decent and, if I'm not satisfied with that, I'll switch to a pricier one.
Why don't you go for at least a mimimum price threshold of say, $20-25, steering clear this way off "very" cheap?

That is sure not to break the bank and, at least you don't risk as much throwing away your money (not to mention losing your patience) as you'd probably do by going with an 8 dollar-pair.
Specially if you take into account that, at the latter price range, build quality and frequency response (hence SQ) are probably not going to be that great.

As far as popular wisdom goes, cheap shoes, false economy.
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #11
I keep looking worthy upgrades to my favorites Sony MH1 and LG Quadbeat 3. They costed me about 15$ each.

Reply #12
I keep looking worthy upgrades to my favorites Sony MH1 and LG Quadbeat 3. They costed me about 15$ each.

Well, the MSRP of the Xiaomi Piston 3 is 14.99$ so, maybe, they're not that bad after all.

Reply #13
I've been extremely pleased with my SoundMagic E10Cs, I would highly recommend them.

Reply #15
Another vote for the Sennheiser CX series.
Got tbe CX1.00, and even they are great.
lame3995o -Q1.7 --lowpass 17

Reply #16
Thanks for the new recommendations.

I forgot to tell you that I've received and tested the Xiaomi: I think they're not bad (cheap) headphones overall. I would have liked them more if the microphone had a greater distance from the ears (when the cord is wrapped over the ears).
I hope they won't break immediately but considering the low price I bought them for I don't have great expectations.

TL;DR:
  • Isolation: not bad.
  • Sound quality: good (for the price).
  • Comfort: comfortable.

P.S. I wouldn't recommend the Xiaomi Piston 3 to people who don't enjoy having headphones with a pronounced amount of bass.

Reply #17
I got a pair of TFZ Exclusive 1 from Massdrop.  They're pretty good.